Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

how much did Wembley run over costs? how much is Spurs running over costs? same with Chelsea.. its not just a London thing, it is a general rule that all major builds run considerably over estimates. if we are crunching the numbers now with no contingency in place the whole thing could easily be doomed
Yes, if the costs run over (which they very well may do, as with all major developments) then alternate funding sources would be required, clearly.

One thing that is worth noting is that the money for the stadium won't be coming out of LCC's budget - they will get outside funding (in the form of a loan), and will then loan that money on to EFC. The VERY low rates councils can get on such financing would allow this to be cost effective for EFC, even after paying a "fee" to LCC each year.

LCC will have a number above which they won't go for such a loan. If the costs escalate, obviously outside funding would be needed. But with the majority already secured, additional funding wouldn't be ALL that difficult to come by.

Is it all buttoned up? Clearly not. But I wouldn't imagine council approval to be hugely problematic.

Yes, if the costs run over (which they very well may do, as with all major developments) then alternate funding sources would be required, clearly.

One thing that is worth noting is that the money for the stadium won't be coming out of LCC's budget - they will get outside funding (in the form of a loan), and will then loan that money on to EFC. The VERY low rates councils can get on such financing would allow this to be cost effective for EFC, even after paying a "fee" to LCC each year.

LCC will have a number above which they won't go for such a loan. If the costs escalate, obviously outside funding would be needed. But with the majority already secured, additional funding wouldn't be ALL that difficult to come by.

Is it all buttoned up? Clearly not. But I wouldn't imagine council approval to be hugely problematic.

time will tell on this.

it is going to be a very long drawn out process from here on in.

The 100 million for transport and infrastructure is way too high.

A lot of the infrastructure for the roads have already been done or in the process due to Liverpool 2 port just down the road.

100 million is probably just a nice round number that someone's thrown into the mix

I think Maghull North and Newton Le Willows Stations have budgets each of about 15 million ? So if you throw a new station near BM into the mix, which I'd imagine would cost more than 15 million, you can see how it'd start to mount up, but yea, 100 million seems steep.

"The finance deal is still being completed and would have to be approved by the council’s cabinet and then by full council, allowing opponents to have their say."

it aint happening, the backlash is already there, politicians are starting to get involved. no way this 2/3 thing is happening.

"“We obviously have yet to see the details but the figures quoted to date seem to ignore the additional £100m which will need to be spend on the transport and other infrastructure needed before the stadium could be used."

I think a lot of people would, in principle, be against the council using their leverage to help fund the stadium, and, if it was just about building a stadium, then I doubt very much this would get the go-ahead. But, it'll be seen as a catalyst for the area, and that changes an awful lot. I don't think it's ideal for a public body to be taking a financial risk here, but the risk is likely going to be very small, so I think it'll happen

Oh, and it's nice to see a lurker posting after all these years ! (y)

why is securing the last bit of finance proving troublesome?? there has to be reasons..

The main reason is probably they want to see a deal for the main part of the money being in place before even getting to an "agreement in principle" kind of stage.

It’s almost like some people want it to fail,
It’s clearly a massive,complicated build,
Not just for us but for the whole of the city,
But these people have the natural ability to flit from their wonderful business acumen,straight into their board level knowledge of transfers and the players contracts,it must be immensely tiring,
Whilst all the time trying in vain to attract a member of the opposite sex,
Astounding stuff,never change,Dullards.

100 million is probably just a nice round number that someone's thrown into the mix

I think Maghull North and Newton Le Willows Stations have budgets each of about 15 million ? So if you throw a new station near BM into the mix, which I'd imagine would cost more than 15 million, you can see how it'd start to mount up, but yea, 100 million seems steep.

Think about 30 million has been spent on the roads since 2015 for Liverpool 2. This will help a great deal.

Now a monorail from town and we could be looking at spending a few quid.

Not sure if this has already been said but costs are rising year on year so it would be foolish to delay a stadium decision. The alternatives would end up costing the same eventually because we dithered.
Let's say we bailed on BMD today. We still need a new ground. Starting from scratch with searching for a viable location that we as fans actually would want, then needing months maybe years of more design & costing dithering then we get to move in to a new stadium in 2026 & it costs the same as what BMD would have cost if we just stuck with it.
Facts are we don't have the cash & need to borrow. Finding private money isn't easy for us clearly so this is the best option we have.
It's certainly not a perfect solution but costs are rising faster than the amount of the loan.

Let's just get on with it. We can't stay at Goodison.

It’s almost like some people want it to fail,
It’s clearly a massive,complicated build,
Not just for us but for the whole of the city,
But these people have the natural ability to flit from their wonderful business acumen,straight into their board level knowledge of transfers and the players contracts,it must be immensely tiring,
Whilst all the time trying in vain to attract a member of the opposite sex,
Astounding stuff,never change,Dullards.

Have you been reading the Esk's blog too??

I think he is married though.

Think about 30 million has been spent on the roads since 2015 for Liverpool 2. This will help a great deal.

Now a monorail from town and we could be looking at spending a few quid.

Funny you should mention monorails. I read http://www.citymetric.com/transport...ailway-was-legendary-it-worth-rebuilding-3575 the other day and, despite the lack of humping animals, found it vaguely interesting.

Not sure if this has already been said but costs are rising year on year so it would be foolish to delay a stadium decision. The alternatives would end up costing the same eventually because we dithered.
Let's say we bailed on BMD today. We still need a new ground. Starting from scratch with searching for a viable location that we as fans actually would want, then needing months maybe years of more design & costing dithering then we get to move in to a new stadium in 2026 & it costs the same as what BMD would have cost if we just stuck with it.
Facts are we don't have the cash & need to borrow. Finding private money isn't easy for us clearly so this is the best option we have.
It's certainly not a perfect solution but costs are rising faster than the amount of the loan.

Let's just get on with it. We can't stay at Goodison.

A very good point. What was the budget for Kings dock, something like 150 million more than 15 years ago ? Very few things in life get cheaper, well, apart from my socks.

Funny you should mention monorails. I read http://www.citymetric.com/transport...ailway-was-legendary-it-worth-rebuilding-3575 the other day and, despite the lack of humping animals, found it vaguely interesting.

A very good point. What was the budget for Kings dock, something like 150 million more than 15 years ago ? Very few things in life get cheaper, well, apart from my socks.

giphy.gif

I'm all for the idea of getting the local council to lend us the money to purchase a new stadium, but you have to admit that it will be no surprise if this does not happen. The fact that there is no alternative to relying on the council to lend us the money is concerning.

I don't trust Moshiri et al. I think it is all smoke and mirrors along with some clever accounting. People harp on about his investment so far, as if it's some massive figure, but the truth is that it isn't even enough to gain control of a club like Newcastle in 2018. The sale of Newcastle is to include the debt as well, so there will be none of this transfering of debt but describing it as investment into the club.

The amount of money that Moshiri has invested into Everton is minimal in this day and age, and it's nowhere near enough to get us where we would like to be. He has come into the club, sold our best players, and is now begging the council to build a stadium for him. It's just not the actions of the type of owner that he purports to be.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back