Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

I'm all for the idea of getting the local council to lend us the money to purchase a new stadium, but you have to admit that it will be no surprise if this does not happen. The fact that there is no alternative to relying on the council to lend us the money is concerning.

I don't trust Moshiri et al. I think it is all smoke and mirrors along with some clever accounting. People harp on about his investment so far, as if it's some massive figure, but the truth is that it isn't even enough to gain control of a club like Newcastle in 2018. The sale of Newcastle is to include the debt as well, so there will be none of this transfering of debt but describing it as investment into the club.

The amount of money that Moshiri has invested into Everton is minimal in this day and age, and it's nowhere near enough to get us where we would like to be. He has come into the club, sold our best players, and is now begging the council to build a stadium for him. It's just not the actions of the type of owner that he purports to be.
It may not be a case of no other alternative but it may be that the council is the best option for the Evs. Council have some free money from us for acting as a banking go-between, we get a cheaper loan of a big hit of cash, the area gets boosted quicker meaning more business rates paid into the council's coffers, more jobs in the area, better image, having the council on board must make the planning application process go smoother. To add icing on the cake, RS heads are falling off.
My mate is a RS and has bought a flat that faces up the river to where the stadium will be. I'm having some fun with this

I'm all for the idea of getting the local council to lend us the money to purchase a new stadium, but you have to admit that it will be no surprise if this does not happen. The fact that there is no alternative to relying on the council to lend us the money is concerning.

I don't trust Moshiri et al. I think it is all smoke and mirrors along with some clever accounting. People harp on about his investment so far, as if it's some massive figure, but the truth is that it isn't even enough to gain control of a club like Newcastle in 2018. The sale of Newcastle is to include the debt as well, so there will be none of this transfering of debt but describing it as investment into the club.

The amount of money that Moshiri has invested into Everton is minimal in this day and age, and it's nowhere near enough to get us where we would like to be. He has come into the club, sold our best players, and is now begging the council to build a stadium for him. It's just not the actions of the type of owner that he purports to be.

More than anyone else has invested in the 15 years proceeding and it was enough to clear the debt that was crippling the club.

The players he sold wanted to leave, since when do we keep players who don’t want to play for us ? It’s Everton not bellmarsh prison.

They were all offered better contracts
but they all wanted out so they can all do one as far as I am concerned.

BTW have anyone bought Newcastle yet ?????

Not sure what to make of the move from having the council act as guarantor (which looked like a really smart solution) to having them lend 2/3rds of the cash and taking on the debt directly. Seems a bit concerning from the point of view of getting investors on board if the club is onto this as a Plan B. On the other hand, if this new solution works better for the council and/or the club why wasn't it the one chosen from the start? Why the change now? All seems a bit bizarre. Also, not sure how this will stand with regard to state aid rules (e.g. the original Olympic Stadium bid process collapsing around the legality of Newham's proposed loan to West Ham). Genuinely surprised the direction this has taken. o_O

Not sure what to make of the move from having the council act as guarantor (which looked like a really smart solution) to having them lend 2/3rds of the cash and taking on the debt directly. Seems a bit concerning from the point of view of getting investors on board if the club is onto this as a Plan B. On the other hand, if this new solution works better for the council and/or the club why wasn't it the one chosen from the start? Why the change now? All seems a bit bizarre. Also, not sure how this will stand with regard to state aid rules (e.g. the original Olympic Stadium bid process collapsing around the legality of Newham's proposed loan to West Ham). Genuinely surprised the direction this has taken. o_O
I think they’ve upped the capacity from the original 50,000 to 60,000 which has caused the costs to rise, along with the expected inflation, etc.

Think Newham were actually loaning them money out of the budget though weren't they? As opposed to taking a loan and then loaning it on for a profit?

Also depends on the individual council's charter I'd guess

In the initial document that was released in March 2017, it said a capacity of 50,000.

That was the echo saying it, and they are still saying it now on there podcasts.

If anything, they will reduce the capacity to lower the costs. I'm guessing it will be in the region of 55k and costs will raise to about 550 million if they hurry up and get a shift on.

That was the echo saying it, and they are still saying it now on there podcasts.

If anything, they will reduce the capacity to lower the costs. I'm guessing it will be in the region of 55k and costs will raise to about 550 million if they hurry up and get a shift on.
To be fair mate 50k was mooted in the document the council released detailed the SPV ... I am sure it's still linked somewhere a lot earlier in this thread but I can not be bothered to go back and check.

Everton are taking out the loan but the council is the guarantors of the loan and take ownership if Everton can’t pay the loan repayments.

The council acting as the guarantee’s mean Everton can borrow at a compititive rate as most financial institutions do not borrow to football clubs amount we are talking about.

Spot on.

To be fair mate 50k was mooted in the document the council released detailed the SPV ... I am sure it's still linked somewhere a lot earlier in this thread but I can not be bothered to go back and check.

Would not read into that too much, would have been a figure plucked out of the sky. And no costings would have been worked at for it at that early stage.

Here is the document:

http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk...Everton FC New Stadium - Deal Terms RTC45.pdf

Background

EFC and LCC share a common goal to create a world class, groundbreaking
and iconic stadium in a new location that will not only be a
landmark for the City, but also bring about significant investment and
regeneration benefits to Liverpool.

Initial high-level studies conclude that the full development cost of a new
50,000 seater stadium with associated site specific facilities and infrastructure
would be in excess of £300 million

My guess is it's a ploy to bring the whole thing to a halt. I dont think there's any way the council cabinet can ok this. If they baulk at it then Everton's owners are let off the hook.

This will be wrapped up quite soon.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back