Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

The proposed stadium was a major factor in the docks getting started
The Same way the Point Theatre( now the 3 arena ) and the Bord Gaia theatre were the catylast for the Dublin docks development.

Plenty of major projects already in place like Liverpool 2 port which opened in 2016. Various other projects started and more in development.

Peel does not need a stadium to be a catalyst.

For the club this council loan is a big boost though it still leaves £180m to £200m to raise without the inevitable budget overrun. Moshiri doesn't seem to have been able to raise a loan of £300m for the original SPV since the idea was agreed in March, so perhaps, given that, raising the rest of the finance may be a problem. The only real risks to the club are relegation and an unlikely administration, and some changing of the TV money over the next 25 years or so. The main risk might be the top six clubs wanting to take more of the funding by arranging their own deals with the media - not just Sky and BT but ESPN, Amazon, Facebook and other contenders yet unknown.

For the Council, there are other concerns. These don't include whether it's a misuse of public money as at least two other clubs have had loans from councils, Rotherham United and Northampton Town. The Rotherham loan seems to have gone well; the Northampton Town loan not so well. However, The Council's debt was given as £304m in 2015. That included £178m of long term Lowner Option - Borrower Option loans (LOBO loans) which start at low interest rates but increase markedly. I am aware that £40m of those loans were with Barclays and have been converted into fixed interest loans during 2016 but I don't know what current Council debt is. I would have thought that a £280m loan would require full Council approval as it would be a major change to the Council finance strategy (but I have never worked for a council).

Of course, as has been said already, this loan might break EU and UEFA Fair Play Rules as being unfair state aid.

For the club this council loan is a big boost though it still leaves £180m to £200m to raise without the inevitable budget overrun. Moshiri doesn't seem to have been able to raise a loan of £300m for the original SPV since the idea was agreed in March, so perhaps, given that, raising the rest of the finance may be a problem. The only real risks to the club are relegation and an unlikely administration, and some changing of the TV money over the next 25 years or so. The main risk might be the top six clubs wanting to take more of the funding by arranging their own deals with the media - not just Sky and BT but ESPN, Amazon, Facebook and other contenders yet unknown.

For the Council, there are other concerns. These don't include whether it's a misuse of public money as at least two other clubs have had loans from councils, Rotherham United and Northampton Town. The Rotherham loan seems to have gone well; the Northampton Town loan not so well. However, The Council's debt was given as £304m in 2015. That included £178m of long term Lowner Option - Borrower Option loans (LOBO loans) which start at low interest rates but increase markedly. I am aware that £40m of those loans were with Barclays and have been converted into fixed interest loans during 2016 but I don't know what current Council debt is. I would have thought that a £280m loan would require full Council approval as it would be a major change to the Council finance strategy (but I have never worked for a council).

Of course, as has been said already, this loan might break EU and UEFA Fair Play Rules as being unfair state aid.
cant be as unfair as being given a stadium like citeh. They seem to have got away with it.

The council loan of 280m over 25 years doesn’t seem too bad. My calculations are

Council borrows 280m at 2.5% over 25 years - costs them 375m
Council charges club an extra 7m per year over 25 years - 175m
Club pays council 550m over 25 years at 22m per year

That seems very do-able providing that broadcast revenues don’t implode or there’s a relegation.

The issue is where the additional ~200m comes from and how it is paid back. Ideally you would want an interest free loan from Moshiri but it’s a big ask depending on his liquidity status. More likely it would be 50m from Moshiri, 30m from naming rights, 70m over three years from internal sources (broadcast, player sales, increased ticket sales etc) and 50m borrowed from the bank

By that you mean like debenture seats? Where a person can buy a seat for like 8 grand over 10 years or so then the club give the money back at the end?
It's a mortgage on a seat and you own it...but after, say, 25-30 years. The club doesn't get into debt by borrowing and paying interest. The downside is stadium revenue is reduced but that can be offset by increased commercial use of the facility. Stadia in North America have been paid for that way.

That could be one of a package of funding that doesn't include having to involve the local state. Naming rights is obviously another source

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back