Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

New Everton Stadium

I think that anyone arguing about objections must be visiting a different part of the Liverpool docks than me.
Don't get me wrong, if you're a photographer it's fabulous.
But for people the Dock Road is generally what many would imagine some post-apocalyptic hellhole to look like. Potholes, deserted, debris, dead rats in the gutters etc.

Complaining about regenerating the area is simply perverse.

The Bramley Moore dock is within Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City World Heritage Site though.

The hydraulic tower and dock retaining walls are Grade II listed buildings.

So there are bound to be opponents of the scheme.

Unesco have already threatened to remove the world heritage status of the Liverpool waterfront if the project goes ahead.

I think that anyone arguing about objections must be visiting a different part of the Liverpool docks than me.
Don't get me wrong, if you're a photographer it's fabulous.
But for people the Dock Road is generally what many would imagine some post-apocalyptic hellhole to look like. Potholes, deserted, debris, dead rats in the gutters etc.

Complaining about regenerating the area is simply perverse.
Totally agree, clean the place up bring lots of jobs opportunities etc to the area.

Let’s embrace the bloody thing

The Bramley Moore dock is within Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City World Heritage Site though.

The hydraulic tower and dock retaining walls are Grade II listed buildings.

So there are bound to be opponents of the scheme.

Unesco have already threatened to remove the world heritage status of the Liverpool waterfront if the project goes ahead.

The Unesco objection has been about the Liverpool Waterfront plan rather than Everton per se, if I understand it.

Grade II listing provides zero protection really (although I would like the walls and the clock to be preserved)

Done properly, a stadium could enhance the Waterfront. It could be a design in keeping with the general area (the Lucas Oil Stadium could be an inspiration or example there) or it could be a modern masterpiece. Something like the Sydney Opera House, radically different to everything around it yet complementing it (the Louvre Extension did that too). Something built of glass and light would be amazing on the Waterfront.

Totally agree, clean the place up bring lots of jobs opportunities etc to the area.

Let’s embrace the bloody thing

The opportunities are immense. And the jobs etc would be fabulous.
amazing visually, iconic even. Better living conditions, more visitors and more jobs and money. Powered by Scousers. Sounds world-beating.

Issues with the funding or even the difficulty of building on the docks are one thing and could jeopardise the whole project. However, cannot see the Secretary of State calling in a development that may move from a 30 year project plan to maybe 10 or so on the back of a new stadium and big players like FM & Associates. This will be left to local government to decide as the original Liverpool Waters application was. We know that Peel are in favour of it & I don't think they would agree to anything that might jeopardise their long term plan for the area. With regards to Unesco and the World Heritage Status, Thetigerblue is right - that has been under threat since Liverpool Waters was approved in 2013. Nothing new there - it was never just about a new football stadium.

The Unesco objection has been about the Liverpool Waterfront plan rather than Everton per se, if I understand it.

Grade II listing provides zero protection really (although I would like the walls and the clock to be preserved)

Done properly, a stadium could enhance the Waterfront. It could be a design in keeping with the general area (the Lucas Oil Stadium could be an inspiration or example there) or it could be a modern masterpiece. Something like the Sydney Opera House, radically different to everything around it yet complementing it (the Louvre Extension did that too). Something built of glass and light would be amazing on the Waterfront.

I agree with you. However I was just pointing out that there are bound to be people who object to the ground. A good example is the number of people who objected to the Liverpool One project that transformed the City centre.

You misread me. My concern is not for green or red lights. It's for the preservation of this organisation we all hold dear and central to our existence.

I applaud the vision in going for the dockland stadium. It's audacious and if it can be done without gambling with our long term security we all need to back it. But my guard has been up since the original terms of repayment were outlined and how other parties gain their security on the their investment. I think the recent change to those terms and the increase in cost of the stadium have made that even more onerous and alarming....and those costs WILL rise further still.

We have to be 100% vigilant on this. Two men are central to this scheme, Anderson and Moshiri, and I for one have no faith in either of them to do what's right for Everton FC.
Moshiri is in league with others over this though, essentially Russian. They see a massive opportunity in the regeneration of this part of the city. Everton FC is only a secondary, albeit important, consideration.

Moshiri is in league with others over this though, essentially Russian. They see a massive opportunity in the regeneration of this part of the city. Everton FC is only a secondary, albeit important, consideration.
Let's hope that there are even bigger players in the background - Russian, Chinese, Arabs - I don't care . If they regenerate north Liverpool whilst at the same time regenerating Everton, I'll take it every time. We just bought another 20mill player today and we are doing it without blinking. I remember when we signed Fellaini and we were also so pleased at our biggest ever signing. Long term we may end up like Leeds but my gut feeling is that won't happen. Until a couple of years ago, I was fed up with trying to hang on in there. Now we have wasted a load of money and I'm fed up again, but the good thing is it looks like there was plenty more where that came from.

I agree with you. However I was just pointing out that there are bound to be people who object to the ground. A good example is the number of people who objected to the Liverpool One project that transformed the City centre.
Thank you for clarifying that and I didn't know about the objections to Liverpool One, having only recently moved back to Liverpool.
But I'd hope that any objections would be based on reason rather than a fear of the 21st Century. Siting transport as an objection would be nonsensical for instance. The idea would be to improve it so that people can get to and from the place.
I do notice too that actually the roads are wide, road links are good, there's a big wet thing nearby for moving heavy duty items to the site and construction work should not disturb many people.

Thank you for clarifying that and I didn't know about the objections to Liverpool One, having only recently moved back to Liverpool.
But I'd hope that any objections would be based on reason rather than a fear of the 21st Century. Siting transport as an objection would be nonsensical for instance. The idea would be to improve it so that people can get to and from the place.
I do notice too that actually the roads are wide, road links are good, there's a big wet thing nearby for moving heavy duty items to the site and construction work should not disturb many people.

Have no doubt mate, once/if (delete depending on your mojo) the finance is squared off, this will be rammed through planning/objections/UNESCO etc etc.

It doesn't matter that we will get the finances, or that we will get planning approval, and an iconic stadium will be built on the banks of the Mersey that will be the envy of many. It doesn't matter how much of a lift that gives to the players and the fans and the club and the city. Because for the next 30 years we are going to have to listen to the same people droning on about how the finance repayments are holding us back and how we can't afford quality players because of the stadium. I see that strung out before me and it is really depressing.

It doesn't matter that we will get the finances, or that we will get planning approval, and an iconic stadium will be built on the banks of the Mersey that will be the envy of many. It doesn't matter how much of a lift that gives to the players and the fans and the club and the city. Because for the next 30 years we are going to have to listen to the same people droning on about how the finance repayments are holding us back and how we can't afford quality players because of the stadium. I see that strung out before me and it is really depressing.

I am getting on in years, just hope have plenty left to see this new stadium come to fruition.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back