New Everton Stadium

Well, if Usmanov funds the stadium he will have to dispose of his Arsenal shares first because, as far as I know, he does not own a bank, and he may find, in the near future, some difficulty in moving his money around. Times may get tougher for oligarchs in Britain.

I was very optimistic about the stadium but I am a bit less so after what Anderson has said.

Usm
Well, if Usmanov funds the stadium he will have to dispose of his Arsenal shares first because, as far as I know, he does not own a bank, and he may find, in the near future, some difficulty in moving his money around. Times may get tougher for oligarchs in Britain.

I was very optimistic about the stadium but I am a bit less so after what Anderson has said.
Is Usmanov going to invest a penny over here right now while anyone in Putin Inner circle in the Uk is getting heat from Downing St.

What you mean is that we havnt publicly declared the funding.

If, and its a BIG IF, granted, the main reason for Moshiri pitching up was as much to do with the docks as it was Everton, do you not think financing would have been kinda nattered about before he lobbed a cheque at Mr Bill?

When he lobbed the cheque at Bill this stadium was going to cost £300m and made obvious financial sense.

The total cost will now be in excess of £500m meaning the project is probably only borderline beneficial from a financial standpoint. So, Whatever assumptions he arrived with concerning funding BMD have plainly gone up in smoke. No bank is going to touch this without penal interest rates given the changes in risk profile.

My fear is until the new ground is actually finished this is going to be a good 4-5 seasons of mediocrity and treading water. I hope once the new ground is done it brings in large amounts of outside investment which can push us forward but whilst we are at GP I fear the only thing we have going for us is Moshiri bankrolling us and I fear that cash has dried up after wasting so much last season.
weve had 30 years of mediocrity,whats another 5!

Anderson is finished as a local politician and this stadium deal looks ever more remote by the passing months.

I feel genuinely sorry for those of our supporters who become excited about stadium plans. This club's owners and officers have a habit of dashing hopes and I think we might be in the final stretches of this one getting binned. I'm fully expecting 'economic headwinds' and Brexit to be trundled out soon to put an end to this fiasco.

I wouldn't know enough to comment on the intricacies of financing but even in the current climate you would think funding would be possible under a long-term repayment schedule.

The cost of this is around 11 or 12 Gylfi Sigurdssons so in that context I thought it might be affordable over 30 or 40 years, even at a stretch and accepting it would impose challenges and difficulties.

Circumstance and timing seem to be most unfortunate here especially with Brexit, trade wars etc but let's not forget that almost every club that either wanted to upgrade or move in the last 25 years has managed to do so. Even the more modest Spanish and Italian clubs now have or are in the process of doing this, albeit in the context of equally modest projects in some cases, and a cheaper economy, but if this collapses, it just sets the seal on a generation of disappointment and mis-management that we have had to endure.

If it can't get done with this proposed mix of funding, then we can forget about this again for yet another generation. It would be crushing to our hopes.

Last edited:

Reading between the lines of the Anderson podcast with O’Keffe and his previous one with The Everton Business Matters Guys it is clear EFC got hit by a double whammy. 1. More realistic cost estimate of £500+m than £300-350m 2. Council risk assessment reducing max funding from ‘up to £350m’ to £280m. We have gone from effectively fully funded to a £200+m funding gap.

Elstone was beavering away behind the scenes. As I understand it there is a (Chinese) funding option but at >9% interest (vs. ~ 5-6% from the council) making the economics worse than marginal. Elstone leaving has certainly disrupted the funding search & Harris, now leading, is a carpet-bagger IMO.

Moshiri (Usmanov) are somewhat hampered/indirectly impacted by US sanctions and less willing/able to provide shareholder funding meaning we cannot move forward until either that changes or we get a difference making naming rights deal with a substantial upfront prepayment. Unfortunately the stadium naming rights market is flat, Spurs & West Ham have struggled lately and so are we.

The project could collapse, especially if the council pull out. Assuming the council stay committed it is more likely it will drag on for another extra year or two until circumstances shift/Moshiri finds a way to make more funding available. BREXIT is a wildcard. It could create capital flight from UK and deinvestment. This may restrict lending options but it may also leave fewer projects competing for funds. Hard to predict if we win or lose right now.

Reading between the lines of the Anderson podcast with O’Keffe and his previous one with The Everton Business Matters Guys it is clear EFC got hit by a double whammy. 1. More realistic cost estimate of £500+m than £300-350m 2. Council risk assessment reducing max funding from ‘up to £350m’ to £280m. We have gone from effectively fully funded to a £200+m funding gap.
If only the club hadn't wasted 250m on failed signings, managers, wages and payoffs over the past 2 years eh.

Anderson is finished as a local politician and this stadium deal looks ever more remote by the passing months.

I feel genuinely sorry for those of our supporters who become excited about stadium plans. This club's owners and officers have a habit of dashing hopes and I think we might be in the final stretches of this one getting binned. I'm fully expecting 'economic headwinds' and Brexit to be trundled out soon to put an end to this fiasco.
Luckily I never believed it in the first place, but know plenty of naive fans who were getting their panties all wet thinking we'd be in this world class stadium by the Mersey in 2019, haha. Such a shame, though. Add yet another failed stadium move to the Kenwright regime. And yet he still won't be driven out of the club.

I get the cynicism with Everton and particularly Kenwright (I spent a few years as an ESCLA Committee guy & had some first hand dealings with him) but as we are seeing with Chelsea current circumstances are less than ideal.

An acquaintance knows Sasha and Harris (I’ve had my own interactions with Harris as well) and he is not confident in them at all as Sasha is just a conduit for Moshiri and Harris is a blagger. However, he believes Moshiri remains 100% committed and that is what truly matters here.

It means it is too early to decree BMD dead/more of the same as Moshiri has taken steps (the land option etc.) than Bill never took or managed. Objectively it is as far away today from being deliverable as it has been at any point since the initial site visits but the project is still breathing.

There is and should be reasonable doubt about the outcome but I’m not going to join in with those who almost seem to revel in our struggles and failures. Moshiri has put enough of his own money at risk already to warrant continuing patience with this.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back