New Everton Stadium

There has been multiple attempts over the last how ever many years to have his statue removed.
Have you seen this on the other thread in the Current Affairs forum about slavery?

Did a thread on Bramley Moore if anyone is interested

No... It's available out there but pretty sure it isn't on Hansard.View attachment 90837
Thanks. Is he (Bramley Moore) not just saying there that blockading African ports that export slaves makes the lives of those who would be enslaved worse because local chiefs (who were in the chain selling to European slavers) would bring down an even greater 'evil' upon them?

It looks that way.

I think that book is quoting from Hansard. The annotation suggests so (or maybe a Royal Commission).
Probably. This is the document it is from... https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008431104
Just been doing a quick googling and there is a mention in a book about Victorian Lincoln (where Bramley-Moore was MP in the 1860s) that he was then alleged to have actually owned slaves in Brazil (where he had long standing business interests):

(scroll up to the middle of page 33 for the start of the story)
That's pretty strong circumstantial evidence, taken in conjunction with his involvement lobbying for the removal of duties on coffee and sugar (and the Select Committee report brought by @NeilA1878 concerning Bramley Moores' testimony...which appears to be stating that slaves faced a worse fate staying in Africa than if they'd been allowed to be exported to Brazil or the Caribbean).

I've seen enough. Bramley Moore was a scumbag and we need to distance ourselves from his name.

Nope, but my reply was about Colston.
What is your view on the Bramley Moore name and its connection to the stadium scheme? Should it be dropped?

I think it's proven beyond all reasonable doubt now that he was a slaver and involved in the exploitation of slaves.

What is your view on the Bramley Moore name and its connection to the stadium scheme? Should it be dropped?

I think it's proven beyond all reasonable doubt now that he was a slaver and involved in the exploitation of slaves.

There is a Bramley-Moore dock that is having a stadium built within it, that project is called the Peoples Project, not sure there has been any communication as of yet as to what the stadium will be called. Will Peel rename the dock? No idea, its up to them. What will we call the Stadium? No idea, guess it's up to who pays the most.

There is no way that we can drop the connection to Bramley-Moore Dock because that's where its being built.

There is a Bramley-Moore dock that is having a stadium built within it, that project is called the Peoples Project, not sure there has been any communication as of yet as to what the stadium will be called. Will Peel rename the dock? No idea, its up to them. What will we call the Stadium? No idea, guess it's up to who pays the most.

There is no way that we can drop the connection to Bramley-Moore Dock because that's where its being built.
We dont need to see the club refer to the name. The People's Project website has it prominently.

Personally, I dont want the club to be asociated with a slaver - in whatever guise. That's just me though, and others might take a more relaxed view on slavery.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back