New Everton Stadium

Bramley Moore used to be a dock for the handling of coal, maybe Dave has a point?

On a serious note, the coal mine discussion is VERY different to the stadium. The very essence of a coal mine, on the surface of it goes against the entire plan of the country and environmental targets etc. but, the coke that is mined is crucial to our steel business' where it would have to imported from elsewhere otherwise, and from countries with much worse environmental records than our own. Very different to the impact of a football stadium on a WHS site.
Theres a piece on the BBC, that says...its only been called in to push it down the road a few months as it will look bad opening a new coal mine during the big environmental conference or something.

Last edited:
The 17th I think.

I belive it will go through. The controversy over a coal mine in this political climate is far greater than a new stadium build that could test the patience of UNESCO.

I just think we should be cautious regarding a man and his department of state that's just done an enormous u-turn in days.
I broadly agree, the only point I'd have to disagree with you is on your assessment of Jenrick; he's not a man, he's a scrotum in a tie.

You're comparing functionality with functionality; but you know you should be comparing the principle of setting in motion a public inquiry for one project deemed 'outside the local' and another one that could potentially be considered by Jenrcik as also outside just being a local issue.

That's the point I was making.

I'm not saying it will happen that way, I'm saying that's what a an obvious flip-flopper and flakey Sec of State like him might do in order to be seen as 'consistent'.

It was quite a glib initial comment of mine tbh Dave. I think the coal mine gets passed, and I think it does because of the impact on the services it supplies. SoS has been called on this because it absolutely is a project of national importance, and one that is actually quite key to the Govt. delivering on a number of their promises of 'levelling up'. In my opinion, the coal mine will go to SoS and then be passed with bigger weight behind it and leaves nowhere else to go.

What "global" issues does this stadium development concern? Loss of WHS? is that the only global one?

Environmental impact Coal mine yes New stadium no
Local resistance Coal Mine yes New stadium barely.

You are being disingenuous here @davek you are comparing apples and oranges here. The coal mine has more national concerns and global concerns for environmental issues than our stadium ever will. Stop trying to create issues that simply don't exist to fit your narrative.

What "global" issues does this stadium development concern? Loss of WHS? is that the only global one?

Environmental impact Coal mine yes New stadium no
Local resistance Coal Mine yes New stadium barely.

You are being disingenuous here @davek you are comparing apples and oranges here. The coal mine has more national concerns and global concerns for environmental issues than our stadium ever will. Stop trying to create issues that simply don't exist to fit your narrative.

That's not like him :coffee:

God bless

It might not still. But the demand for stimulus is plain to see.
Dave you never cease to amaze me
So the only reason the stadium is getting built is because Covid ruined the economy and it needed stimulus
Building social housing ,Private housing ,schools ,hospitals etc would have created the same stimulus and benefited the wider community more

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back