New Everton Stadium

If anything it would be a side stand, in which case yes the overhang is poor in BMD which I and others have mentioned about in other posts.

A greater overhang has double the number of fans on the same footprint which is what fans wanted. ie fans as 'close to the action as possible', or fans on 'top of of the pitch'. BMD does not have any overhanging tiers so it is not as 'intimate' as people wanted.

We can't get it as close as Goodison, as there are minimum requirements for legroom but we could have at least had some overhang from the upper tiers.
I agree that this was a missed opportunity to both maximise capacity and to emulate the best qualities of GP. There could've been other forces dictating the chosen format such as actual site access/transport/capacity limitations, but that's not clear.

Many modern stands still incorporate overhanging tiers to get more capacity for footprint. This also increases the value of those upper tiers by allowing them to be brought closer to the action. The resultant shallower lower tiers will have to be slightly more set-back to achieve minimum c- values, but this needn't be as distant as say at the Emirates.

The north stand could've had that format to give 2 full home supporting ends with strong identies. One double decker and a larger version of the Gwladys St, with the South Stand just a larger version of the Park end. A shallow lower tier along one side stand could've housed the away fans with a paddock of safe standing to allow more "easily-achieved" away capacity for cup games. Keeping away fans low down and distant from any atmosphere enhancing roof-acoustics.

The only concern is that more delays will have an impact on it being open for the start of the 23/24 season, more likely to run in to that season or beyond. Bear in mind I cant remember the last stadium that ran to schedule and on budget....

Hopefully this delay will be a short delay of say a month or so, and not turn into months and months, bit of a pain getting to day before we thought the decision was going to be made to say something, even if delay was expected, and now we dont know any date it could be said by, at least the 21 days we had a little idea of a date

I agree that this was a missed opportunity to both maximise capacity and to emulate the best qualities of GP. There could've been other forces dictating the chosen format such as actual site access/transport/capacity limitations, but that's not clear.

Many modern stands still incorporate overhanging tiers to get more capacity for footprint. This also increases the value of those upper tiers by allowing them to be brought closer to the action. The resultant shallower lower tiers will have to be slightly more set-back to achieve minimum c- values, but this needn't be as distant as say at the Emirates.

The north stand could've had that format to give 2 full home supporting ends with strong identies. One double decker and a larger version of the Gwladys St, with the South Stand just a larger version of the Park end. A shallow lower tier along one side stand could've housed the away fans with a paddock of safe standing to allow more "easily-achieved" away capacity for cup games. Keeping away fans low down and distant from any atmosphere enhancing roof-acoustics.
Well thought out. I'm actually a fan of lower gradients in lower tiers too. Maybe it's from my days of being at the back of the Gwladys Street with fans bouncing away and jumping all over each other, you can't get that as much in steeper tiers, still that is just one area of the ground.

What do you make of the distance of the roof from the South Stand to the last row of seats in there? From the pics, and I accept the distance might be deceiving but it look a huge distance surely that can't optimise the acoustics? A possible explanation was given on here that it might be purposely high to let more light in? What's your take on it?

Had this Tory useless government
They have known for ages about this project
You’d think with the pandemic and all they would be ready and waiting to give the go ahead
Waste of space this government on everything apart from furlough and the vaccine

I dont see any reason to panic over it not being rubber stamped right away,its a huge project,not a loft conversion,the council have said yes and praised it to the heavens,its a case of the government going through everything,making sure all the tees are crossed etc

What I love about this site so much is that everyone becomes an expert on stadium design, planning law, players contracts, how to easily buy and sell players with contracts in place - as though they don't take any consideration - team selection, tactics, our manager's perception of our players, players fitness - you name it everyone is an expert.

This is not a dig at anyone, its just what makes this site so special.

Viva les experts, keeps me entertained for hours.

Hope there are no closet kopites in the government.
5ba8937e-b021-11e9-a61f-bc570b50c4e7_972x_125225.webp

It's lots.

Had this Tory useless government
They have known for ages about this project
You’d think with the pandemic and all they would be ready and waiting to give the go ahead
Waste of space this government on everything apart from furlough and the vaccine

It'll just be an under-resourced team of civil servants trying to read through a mountain of paperwork.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back