New Everton Stadium

It wouldn't have mattered anyway as unless we were gifted the site and the structure could be fabricated using donated egg cartons and assembled by 5 year olds it would have been just a pipe dream. We didn't have a pot to pee in.

That's why some didn't think we would ever start building at BMD due to our prior failed attempts but it was plain to see the difference that least we had some cash this time and weren't dependent on 3rd parties. Even then we couldn't raise 30m for Kings dock and even if we had got the PP for Kirkby there was strong rumours we couldn't stump up the near 80m for that either.

The one thing to be truly grateful to Moshiri is the fact he knew the dock would cost much more to prep but still chose that to put us front and centre of the city instead of going to Stonebridge Cross.
I think we we need to acknowledge that last paragraph, Moshiri knows the value of things over the cost.

Tbf uncle Uzzy has bunged £30m to be first in a non existent naming rights queue. Committing £25 - £30m per season for 10 year naming rights deal doesn’t seem so far fetched. Appreciate that doesn’t guarantee anything mind.
Particularly when you consider he'd be spending $60/80m a year just in operating costs for his yacht, a bit of sofa cash for the stadium isn't that far-fetched.

Anyone been in that Bramley Moore boozer?

It looks a bit minty from the outside.
Lots of times.... it's dock road pub that has survived when 90% of them died out yrs ago. It's future was in doubt upto very recently so its hardly going to be the philharmonic. That said, all things considered it always seemed to be quite a well run pub when I've visited....
I remain optimistic…… 15 years ago Arsenal were unquestionably the biggest team in London and probably 2nd biggest in the UK, I’d put my money on Chelsea having a bigger global fan base or at the very least an emerging one that is set to eclipse Arsenals.
Utd were in Div 2 in my lifetime, the Fegie years / early Prem have massively influenced their current standing. I don’t see why the same couldn’t apply to City if they dominate the league and are regulars in the last rounds of Champs League and continue to assemble superstars as they have.
Besides if there’s nope hope for football working cycles, I fear for us!

Perhaps, but none of that makes Man Utd "also rans". Poorly run by carpet baggers perhaps, but their fanbase and income levels would take generations of their failure to be overcome, nationally, internationally and even in their own city. Man City have been in Division 3 in my kid's lifetime and they barely fill their stadium despite winning everything in sight. Yes, their future is assured and far healthier than it was, but Man Utd are a juggernaut built over decades.... as are our neighbours!

As regards the other nouveau rich.... yes, they have also grown their fanbases (especially internationally).... but your example Chelsea couldn't even outsell us at Wembley for our cup final with tickets for our sections costing far more than in theirs (in their home city), and lots of Evertonians gained access to their sections via various ticket sites.

There is also a massive floating vote in the capital and surrounding south-east.... hence the reason why West Ham are currently filling 60k seats when they'd never averaged over 36k at the Boleyn in their history. They got a large stadium for nothing and are practically giving tickets away to a massive pool of new fans who can't get in elsewhere. With a bit of success they could outgrow some of their rich neighbours.... but it'll take years.

Tbf uncle Uzzy has bunged £30m to be first in a non existent naming rights queue. Committing £25 - £30m per season for 10 year naming rights deal doesn’t seem so far fetched. Appreciate that doesn’t guarantee anything mind.
That depends on how you view that £30m injection. Was it merely strategically arranged to dress our poor accounts at a critical moment? Does it necessarily mean it will be a recurring arrangement and not a one-off?

Do you really think that an intelligent multi billionaire would start a half billion pound project without gaurentees of the future funding.. Usmonov is funding it absolutely no doubt about it.

Hasn't the same intelligent billionaire blown roughly one third of his personal wealth to take us through the fastest turnover of managers in our history? An accountant of repute, yet generating debts that have hamstrung us in FFP terms, for no real football gains?

Rich, intelligent or whatever does not prove infallibility of intent or motive. Usmanov may well be the driver..... but we've had a silent partner before.

That depends on how you view that £30m injection. Was it merely strategically arranged to dress our poor accounts at a critical moment? Does it necessarily mean it will be a recurring arrangement and not a one-off?

That injection was THE most blatant FFP dodge, you almost have to stand back and applaud it. £30m for first refusal on naming rights (wtf?), and just the amount needed to balance the accounts. Amazing. lol ???

But it seems likely to me that'll be followed up on. So yeah, from the outside looking in, I feel like you're being too pessimistic.

A decent sized naming rights deal from USM with the stadium funded in the traditional way seems to be the way things are going. The stadium is happening, you'll get a decent naming rights deal from your owner's mate, but you'll still have sizeable, but manageable, debt as well.

(on the other side of the coin - the posts about Usmanov funding the whole thing seem to be from the same line of thought that had him personally piloting a ship up the Mersey with a load of free steel from Russia :hayee:)

That injection was THE most blatant FFP dodge, you almost have to stand back and applaud it. £30m for first refusal on naming rights (wtf?), and just the amount needed to balance the accounts. Amazing. lol ???

But it seems likely to me that'll be followed up on. So yeah, from the outside looking in, I feel like you're being too pessimistic.

A decent sized naming rights deal from USM with the stadium funded in the traditional way seems to be the way things are going. The stadium is happening, you'll get a decent naming rights deal from your owner's mate, but you'll still have sizeable, but manageable, debt as well.

(on the other side of the coin - the posts about Usmanov funding the whole thing seem to be from the same line of thought that had him personally piloting a ship up the Mersey with a load of free steel from Russia :hayee:)
I'm not particularly pessimistic about the stadium being built at all tbh.... however in the absence of clarity about secured loans to date, I have some reservations regarding how it will affect our financial model going forward.

Hasn't the same intelligent billionaire blown roughly one third of his personal wealth to take us through the fastest turnover of managers in our history? An accountant of repute, yet generating debts that have hamstrung us in FFP terms, for no real football gains?

Rich, intelligent or whatever does not prove infallibility of intent or motive. Usmanov may well be the driver..... but we've had a silent partner before.
He has not, he's over a billion better off now than he was when he took over.

Hang on, you telling us he isn’t sailing Dilbar up the Mersey with a barge full of steel in tow? Ffs Everton that

He (as in Usmanov) is not paying for the stadium, I'm pretty sure he won't be the person who fronts up the money anyhow. However if Moshiri is putting in the first 100-150m and we get 30m per annum naming rights over 10 years then that's up to 450m and whether you class that as them paying for the stadium (a fair chunk of it anyhow) or if they use that money to put into the team effectively is the same in my book.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back