New Everton Stadium

Don’t know why you all bite. Either Dave hates anything and everything about Everton or he’s a massive WUM.

It is an amazing coincidence that he somehow has a contrarian view against every single consensus in the football section of this forum isn't it?

Absolutely amazing

I have to say that I've been incredibly pessimistic about whether this was ever going to get built based on all of the past failures grinding me down. Honestly, so long as it's got a bigger capacity and looks nice, then I'm at the stage where I don't really care about the smaller details

Just finish building it please Everton!

I think you're missing the point. You're absolutely right it's not unique to Everton.

But it is synonymous with Everton, in fact, with Goodison.

And before you say (in a childish voice) "well Rangers have it, Sunderland had it Portsmouth had it", actually that is not the point either.

The point is after nearly 115 years (the old main stand built in 1909) the criss-cross is what we (Evertonians) know of Goodison Park. It's instantly recognisable to US, and probably to most other fans who know their grounds.

No one alive today will have any point of view different!

The only thing I am disappointed with and this is understandable as it is Meis own design it is his 'stamp' on BMD not Archibald Leitch. But a nod
inside the stadium would have made us feel right at home.

But it could be the above (from Allen) might appear at BMD on the digital advertising screens between the tiers. I'll take that as a consolation prize.

If a vote would have been put to fans on how the external brickwork should look and they had two options:

Truss brickwork on the stadium - broken up by metal panels
Tower motif to be incorporated at certain points around the stadium facade

...what do you think the majority would have gone for?

One is something that tips its hat merely to a feature of Goodison Park; the other is a recognition of where we originated from.

Personally, I'd have neither. Because, as I said, it's backward looking and we need to be sending out a clear message we're in business for future success. But of the two choices I set there's only one that really defines us.

Let’s be positive: it’s 2022 and the major debate is now not the design, the capacity, whether the pitch will fit (k'in ell, you lunatics) or the lack of a monorail et al.

If the major complaint is about the aesthetics of the brickwork, surely next work it'll be the width between the ale pumps or the choice of mustard for the hotdogs.

That is the major debate imo, still not convinced it can fit a football pitch looking at it, ffs Everton that :(

Roof truss now in place, the latest photo of Anfield-on-Sea (they're absolutley determined to get the river in their publicity shots now, it's pathetic).

2022-07-19-010-Anfield_Road_Construction-600x400.jpg

It is an amazing coincidence that he somehow has a contrarian view against every single consensus in the football section of this forum isn't it?

Absolutely amazing

I have to say that I've been incredibly pessimistic about whether this was ever going to get built based on all of the past failures grinding me down. Honestly, so long as it's got a bigger capacity and looks nice, then I'm at the stage where I don't really care about the smaller details

Just finish building it please Everton!
Contrarian view? Or just one that was entirely reasonable given Everton's decades long series of balls ups over securing and building a new stadium?

And how is it wrong to state that I like most of this stadium build other than the stuff I've argued against?

Location = exceptional
Design - overall decent
Facade = appalling

...or do I have to call everything as fantastic?

Do blues genuinely have a feeling that the pitch wont fit in ??

I’m not having we have anyone moronic or stupid enough to think this.

When are the two giant bolts getting fitted to complete this Frankenstein monster...
I can't make my mind up about Anfield, I've not been to a derby since they increased the main stand but it seems will be a set of mismatched stands from different eras...however isn't that what Goodison is now ...it doesn't seem to have the symmetry that Old Trafford had when they increased the size for example

p.56 Design and Access Statement addendum part 2 of 9.

5.2.2 Metal Panels

Feedback from consultations with LCC, HE and other stakeholders emphasised the need to simplify the overall facade and celebrate the Leitch Truss pattern that is traced in the bricks as a key element of the facade. To achieve this the truss pattern has been omitted from the metal infill sections of the facade.
Fair enough. HE were one of a number of stakeholders/consultees who asked for the simplification of the facade. My point stands that the planning process is a negotiation with inevitable compromise. I don't think this one was a major issue personally.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back