New Everton Stadium

How would the home team and away team get to what’s essentially a logistical nightmare get in and out the stadium.

It was never a feasible option.

How is major carriageway on either side a logistical nightmare? Especially with several others parallel on east, west and south sides? There can be full access on the Scotland Road side as it's only a service road. The Juvenal Rd side was to be partly bridged. With the current access bridge widened plus I think one other.

How is major carriageway on either side a logistical nightmare? Especially with several others parallel on east, west and south sides? There can be full access on the Scotland Road side as it's only a service road. The Juvenal Rd side was to be partly bridged. With the current access bridge widened plus I think one other.
Tom this has been your most positive post in the stadium thread...Bravo Kind,Sir.

It is a valid comparison, Tom.

An option of redeveloping Goodison by shoehorning in an extra tier on Bullens Road and building a big new stand on the Park end would have been unsatisfactory compared to what we have got.

The character of Goodison as a stadium is defined by old style stands of Bullens Road and Gwladys St. Any big redevelopment of those stands - which would have had to eliminate the restricted views - would also have compromised them from an architectural POV.

The only real benefit I can see is that Everton would have retained their historic location. Then you think, is that actually an advantage?

It can't really be a valid comparison when you're comparing 15-25 yr old tight budget concept designs that would be in the region of £100-150m redevelopment with a whole £750m one. Surely a valid comparison would be with say 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4 or full budget equivalence.

For a fraction of that outlay, enough space could've been made for it not be shoehorned or half-baked. Probably higher capacity if required.

So without trying to measure imponderables like the value of history.... the major benefit would've always been cost!

The emirates isn’t surrounded by a critical loop for a major tunnel brother.

No, but it only has wide access on its south-east corner with 2 bridges one south-west, one north. With railway cuttings either side of the stadium, crossing to its north. It is penned in by railways which are generally less crossable than roads.

BESTWAY or BRAMLEY MOORE??? I have to admit. It's a close one...

1688573138018.webp

1688573156263.webp

I lived overlooking the tunnel would have been great for me if built. They knocked all the flats down and built the police HQ. Still, I don't think the loop was
appropriate not unless there was maybe a cover over the tunnel approach and turn it in to a tunnel. Let's put this to bed it didn't happen thankfully.

I lived overlooking the tunnel would have been great for me if built. They knocked all the flats down and built the police HQ. Still, I don't think the loop was
appropriate not unless there was maybe a cover over the tunnel approach and turn it in to a tunnel. Let's put this to bed it didn't happen thankfully.

The only way it would be looked upon in a positive light was if it was that or move out of the city.

I can see why it was suggested to try and give us a cheap city location and you can just about make anything work, but I would have hated going there and once again we would be boxing ourselves in. At BM there is an opportunity to increase the footprint on the West and East sides and it is not unimaginable that we could build over the wasteworks airspace and equally we could do something similar over Nelson. I doubt we will do anything in my lifetime but least there is capacity to do so.

It can't really be a valid comparison when you're comparing 15-25 yr old tight budget concept designs that would be in the region of £100-150m redevelopment with a whole £750m one. Surely a valid comparison would be with say 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4 or full budget equivalence.

For a fraction of that outlay, enough space could've been made for it not be shoehorned or half-baked. Probably higher capacity if required.

So without trying to measure imponderables like the value of history.... the major benefit would've always been cost!
You and others championed those plans. If they had been taken seriously and the proposals realised, it would have been a poor solution IMO.

It would also have meant we would stay long term in a stadium with its architectural heritage and its soul ripped out by some ugly extensions and an oversized Park End.

I am glad that this didn’t happen and that we are moving to a fantastic stadium in an incredible setting on the Mersey.

We get it. It would have been cheaper. i don’t think there’s much of an argument other than that.

You and others championed those plans. If they had been taken seriously and the proposals realised, it would have been a poor solution IMO.

It would also have meant we would stay long term in a stadium with its architectural heritage and its soul ripped out by some ugly extensions and an oversized Park End.

I am glad that this didn’t happen and that we are moving to a fantastic stadium in an incredible setting on the Mersey.

We get it. It would have been cheaper. i don’t think there’s much of an argument other than that.
Regretting posting those videos now 😂😂😂😂🤦‍♂️

Folk are comparing the relative access merits of one site in the middle of a roundabout with one site with only one road running by outside. Let’s just agree access is a challenge with both sites and move on.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back