New Everton Stadium

…..at the outset let me say this is such a tragic incident & obviously a full investigation has to take place. It’s imperative to determine what happened, capture lessons learned and avoid such incidents happening again. That needs to take as long as it takes but I wonder about the logistics.

is the whole site now closed until the investigation is concluded? I imagine there’s a huge number of contractors and sub-contractors on the site, do HSE check all safety procedures or just those pertaining to the aspect where the incident occurred? I think I have read on here that LoR use a dedicated H&S company to oversee the site, is that correct and will they be the major stakeholder dealing with HSE?

I know HSE have a HQ in Bootle & I dare say some folk on here work there. I know other posters have experience working on major construction projects like this. Without expecting to discuss the specifics of this sad case, it would be useful to know the due process.

Last edited:
…..at the outset let me say this is such a tragic incident & obviously a full investigation has to take place. It’s imperative to determine what happened, capture lessons learned and avoid such incidents happening again. That needs to take as long as it takes but I wonder about the logistics.

is the whole site now closed until the investigation is concluded? I imagine there’s a huge number of contractors and sub-contractors on the site, do HSE check all safety procedures or just those pertaining to the aspect where the incident occurred? I think I have read on here that LoR use a dedicated H&S company to oversee the site, is that correct and will they be the major stakeholder dealing with HSE?

I know HSE have a HQ in Bootle & I dare say some folk on here work there. I know other posters have experience working on major construction projects like this. Without expecting to discuss the specifics of this sad case, it would be useful to know the due process.

Site will be closed for the time being. With it being a death the Police will lead the investigation.

LOR will have a crisis plan in place for incidents like this and no doubt have internal investigation which they have to make aware to the Police and HSE.

Length of site closure will be related to what their initial findings are.
If the procedures are appropriate and being monitored and this was a tragic case of human error, they will likely reopen reasonably soon.
If they find lapses in H&S management they will dig deeper to get an understanding of any systematic failures and the site will remain closed for longer and a prohibition notice issued.
Even if it’s determined LOR we’re not culpable, I suspect they will not immediately start work again but will instead have a safety stand down to reassess all RAMS, training records and plant inspections etc.
There are likely multiple layers of management compliance to be checked, LOR’s, their sub contractors compliance and probably sub-sub contractor compliance right down to the individual and their supervisor.

If the procedures are appropriate and being monitored and this was a tragic case of human error, they will likely reopen reasonably soon.
If they find lapses in H&S management they will dig deeper to get an understanding of any systematic failures and the site will remain closed for longer and a prohibition notice issued.
Even if it’s determined LOR we’re not culpable, I suspect they will not immediately start work again but will instead have a safety stand down to reassess all RAMS, training records and plant inspections etc.
There are likely multiple layers of management compliance to be checked, LOR’s, their sub contractors compliance and probably sub-sun contractor compliance right down to the individual and their supervisor.

Got a mate who works for LOR and they've been told they'd be back on Wednesday.

Seems very quick but just relaying the message.

There are likely multiple layers of management compliance to be checked, LOR’s, their sub contractors compliance and probably sub-sub contractor compliance right down to the individual and their supervisor.
very much this, I'd expect safety stand downs for the remainder of this week regardless, scene evidence can be captured quite quickly, all paperwork and supporting docs can be attained off site so it is possible a resumption of works can be relatively quickly actioned but there will be a cautious restart from LoR, possibly in non connected areas of work/site first.

Got a mate who works for LOR and they've been told they'd be back on Wednesday.

Seems very quick but just relaying the message.
It’s very difficult to comment without knowing the details, but it could be anything from an trained person doing something they know they shouldn’t, to a fall from height due to incorrect or absent edge protection.
1st one no one but the individual can control the second one would be a failure of a safe system of work.
HSE / Police will establish the facts and liability in due course.
All anyone can hope is that whatever the cause, people learn from it and take steps to prevent it occurring again.
iirc there were 45 fatalities on sites last year, up from 29 the previous year.

….the young man who died yesterday on BMD site has been named as Michael Jones from Kirkby. So sad, RiP fella, always one of ours;

IMG_6390.jpeg

When you see the lads working on site on the videos, the size and weight of the machinery, blocks, trusses etc. its not hard to imagine how a tragic accident could happen. It just reaffirms how important H&S is on construction sites.

Imagine how everyone else working on the site feels today. They will be absolutely devastated. Yet incomparable to how the family feel. Does anyone know if he had a wife or kids?

When you see the lads working on site on the videos, the size and weight of the machinery, blocks, trusses etc. its not hard to imagine how a tragic accident could happen. It just reaffirms how important H&S is on construction sites.

Imagine how everyone else working on the site feels today. They will be absolutely devastated. Yet incomparable to how the family feel. Does anyone know if he had a wife or kids?
I was at some lights the other day, a few massive buildings being built, I was watching 2 fellas coming down a HUGE building on a temporary lift on the side it, I was thinking, there is no amount of money you could pay me for using that lift.

But anyway.

Thoughts and prayers to the young lad and his family.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back