New Everton Stadium

….the young man who died yesterday on BMD site has been named as Michael Jones from Kirkby. So sad, RiP fella, always one of ours;

View attachment 222965
It was heartbreaking news regardless of the ID of the victim, but seeing that picture has taken the wind out of me a bit. Lad was a flippin' baby.

Agree with those who have suggested it; Michael Jones Memorial Stadium would be a nice touch.

It was heartbreaking news regardless of the ID of the victim, but seeing that picture has taken the wind out of me a bit. Lad was a flippin' baby.

Agree with those who have suggested it; Michael Jones Memorial Stadium would be a nice touch.

….it’s all very emotive & the suggestion is understandable but I doubt that will ever happen.

I’m sure the club will speak to Michael’s family for permission to have some type of memorial at the new stadium. He’s one of us, it will be a permanent and fitting mark of respect.

….it’s all very emotive & the suggestion is understandable but I doubt that will ever happen.

I’m sure the club will speak to Michael’s family for permission to have some type of memorial at the new stadium. He’s one of us, it will be a permanent and fitting mark of respect.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. As long as we do right by his family and their wishes, it'll be enough.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Naming rights will form a major part of the funding model for the stadium and probably part of the club's future saleability too. So, I'm not sure they can afford to forfeit what might amount to £150-200m or more over the next decade.
I've no doubt some form of permanent memorial will be put in place. Perhaps the pump house?

The fact the young lad was a 'Blue' does hurt because it makes it even more like 'one of US' has passed. But whether he was a Blue or a Red his family are grieving for someone who has, tragically, been taken way too soon.

I am sure our caring Evertonian community will forever remember his loss and the Club will ensure there is something put in place as an acknowledgement of his life.

RIP Michael xx

Was in bits before when I first saw it. Like I said yesterday, not too big or proud to admit to shedding a few tears.

He wasn't just some random workie building our stunning new home, he is one of our own.
Makes it so much harder to process.

Devastated for his friends, family and work mates. 😢 💙

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Naming rights will form a major part of the funding model for the stadium and probably part of the club's future saleability too. So, I'm not sure they can afford to forfeit what might amount to £150-200m or more over the next decade.
I've no doubt some form of permanent memorial will be put in place. Perhaps the pump house?
I agree with the money involved in the naming rights, but I would suggest one of the lounges or an area in the concourse in one of the stands, that way his name and memory will be remembered on a weekly basis by fans attending the games.

I agree with the money involved in the naming rights, but I would suggest one of the lounges or an area in the concourse in one of the stands, that way his name and memory will be remembered on a weekly basis by fans attending the games.

Was going to say the same, the Michael Jones Lounge would be a nice tribute, along with some sort of memorial at the ground for those to see at every game in years to come

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back