New Everton Stadium

How many of us thought we'd be still at Goodison for 2024/25 season? That just runs counter to all expectations. The club let those expectations rip and they did NOTHING to correct them.

Look at the level of surprise and consternation this news has had. But Chong hides behind a fan consulation with FAB to spare his blushes and some BS about 'honouring the Grand Old Lady'*.

Construction isnt a straight line mate. It will be ready when its ready. Not sure why you are getting bent out of shape.

Don't talk daft.

No one on here was expecting anything other than a move for some point next season...not least because of the finances.

How are Everton without a pot to piss in running two football stadiums btw?

So you made it up in your head and assumed we’d move mid-season?

Stick to the bad footie opinions as you are over your skis talking about business & finance decisions

I suppose it's beyond these incompetent gets to have arranged money spinning music events to play the new stadium before the team plays there.

No one will give a flying one if that happens.

Construction isnt a straight line mate. It will be ready when its ready. Not sure why you are getting bent out of shape.
I doubt I'm the only one.

Its the sheer BS and spin they offer fans. If they'd just stated "listen, this will be 2025/26 we open because the logistics are insane for a move of this nature" everyone would have accepted it. But they didn't. They just treated fans like kids...again.

They have a complete contempt for their own fans. Always have and always will. These are the same people who'd have had fans locked up in a prison on trumped up charges of assaulting them.

I don't really know enough about corp hospitality sales to answer with much authority but I'd imagine a not insignificant portion of anticipated additional income from that source would have been of an ad-hoc/ non repeating nature rather than annual. Certainly the couple of times I've gone to events as that sort of punter the companies I've worked for did it as a one off treat for staff at fairly short notice rather than holding a box for a season.

How much all this will cost ultimately comes down to how many games we were expecting to play there. No idea exactly where I got it from but I had the expectation that we'd be in from October at the latest. If that ever was genuinely the case then it's potentially 14 odd home games where the additional revenue would be lost.

If the revenue uplift from that number of games isn't significant enough to justify moving mid season then we really do have problems given the costs we've incurred in getting that extra capacity.

If the plan was for a move later in the season then it's obviously less of an issue.

Either way it isn't the end of the world. Big projects get delayed fairly routinely and you'd assume that risk was factored into the investment decision. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to assume this is a decision we are making voluntarily and happily as the press release would suggest.
Build completion date was for December. Handover would have to follow, after a number of processes, given the time of year that would probably take until end of Jan, then. Couple of weeks testing. Mid Feb move. 2 months at home? Is it worth it? Probably not.

They've indicated from the off that we'd play some or all our games in the 2024/25 season at the new stadium.

They made a decision not to do that.

Not as I understood it. They've been pretty clear a decision had yet to be made. I mean, they've literally just made it. Anything else is just you shouting at the moon.

If they'd just stated "listen, this will be 2025/26 we open because the logistics are insane for a move of this nature" everyone would have accepted it. But they didn't. They just treated fans like kids...again.

Firstly, and to be absolutely clear, our decision to not move in mid-season is not because of a construction delay. It is a Club decision driven by a combination of commercial insight, a comprehensive review of the logistics required, an analysis of the potential impact upon our football operations and, importantly, fan feedback sourced as part of our recent stadium migration survey, which was completed by almost 10,000 Evertonians.

How many of us thought we'd be still at Goodison for 2024/25 season? That just runs counter to all expectations. The club let those expectations rip and they did NOTHING to correct them.

Look at the level of surprise and consternation this news has had. But Chong hides behind a fan consulation with FAB to spare his blushes and some BS about 'honouring the Grand Old Lady'*.
You really do moan for the sake of moaning don't you?

Give your head a wobble. Clearly the right decision. You moan about EVERYTHING. You would be the first to moan if they rushed it and got things terribly wrong.

Give it a rest and enjoy the Christmas season.

I can imagine the logistics of swapping over season tickets etc. mid-season would be a nightmare as well. I'm happy with a clean break myself. I'd like one last full season at Goodison.
Some Cup games at GP over the past couple years have been disasters, people getting in 10-15+mins late etc due to ST and general ticket issues. Could you imagine what it would've been like moving to a new stadium essentially overnight?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back