New Everton Stadium

What a statement this would have been...the Sofi Stadium, LA, the Rams and Charger's home stadium.

220207192727-09-sofi-stadium-super-bowl-preview.jpg

Ahhh Dave it looks like a modernist/brutalist slug fighting over what it should be.

One thing that irked me this week was the fact London are now being challenged over their UNESCO status.

The shard was named due to it being a “shard into the heart of historic London heritage” or something like that.

They’ve built sky scrapers they can’t even fill for the sky line.

Our docks have been brownfield sites for over 50 years, the Albert dock was built literally like for like what it was, a true world heritage site and I always love visiting it.

Their historic docks got as mentioned in a previous post of mine, no red tape, hence Canary Wharf. It’s a deadman’s land now as post Covid no one goes there and it’s full of dying sky risers and a shopping centre that doesn’t get used.

Yet we built a stadium next to a sewage works and lost it? Despite using a design that was in respect to the heritage of the area? P take.

Intrigued to know how they’re going to level out the border with the old dock wall and the plaza. Looks all over the place atm.
Bladdered blues going A over T all over the show.
View attachment 267405
If you look at one of the videos when some of the drone lads got a tour, they explained and showed what they done with the dock wall by the hydraulic tower. I would imagine they would do the same here

Yuck, that looks chuffing awful.
I think it is beautiful, from that angle at least, and would love to have seen something like that on the waterfront. Sadly, as others have pointed out we would never have got away with it because of the undue influence of the heritage lobby in this country.

We have got a compromised design, but it still makes for an awesome place. I went on the Goodison stadium tour yesterday and it confirmed my feelings about how dated and inadequate it is.

It isn't much of a "tour" in truth, The only part I haven't been in before* was the changing rooms which are shockingly poor. I'll bet the players can't wait to move.

* and Media room.

Last edited:

Ahhh Dave it looks like a modernist/brutalist slug fighting over what it should be.
I think the charge of "fighting over what it should be" could be more easily levelled at our stadium's design - it's looking both ways: backward's and forwards.

That Sofi stadium is decidedly something.

HKS design some seriously impressive futuristic stadiums. If we'd gone with them instead of a bog-standard designer like Meis we could have built something aesthetically stunning at the docks.

Instead (IMO) we have a structure that's fallen between stools, visually-speaking.

For all that though, we have still added a major and imposing statement to the Liverpool skyline just through the sheer physicality of it and because of where it stands.

I think the charge of "fighting over what it should be" could be more easily levelled at our stadium's design - it's looking both ways: backward's and forwards.

HKS design some seriously impressive futuristic stadiums. If we'd gone with them instead of a bog-standard designer like Meis we could have built something aesthetically stunning at the docks.

Instead (IMO) we have a structure that's fallen between stools, visually-speaking.

For all that though, we have still added a major and imposing statement to the Liverpool skyline just through the sheer physicality of it and because of where it stands.
It’s something expensive. The most expensive stadium in the world with a $5.5 billion build cost.

It’s a good point. I am not exactly enamoured of the design of our stadium - we seem to caught as you say between 2 stools. The base which is obviously a nod to the immediate location - and the roof which is obviously ‘futuristic’ in look. It just looks a mismatch to me and quite disappointing.

NIMBY’s are to blame.

You wouldn’t need to have spent billions like SoFi to get a uniform look to it.

It’s a good point. I am not exactly enamoured of the design of our stadium - we seem to caught as you say between 2 stools. The base which is obviously a nod to the immediate location - and the roof which is obviously ‘futuristic’ in look. It just looks a mismatch to me and quite disappointing. NIMBY’s are to blame
I wouldn't say I was disappointed with it as much as bemoaning the fact it could have been - especially for the cash spent - a clear statement.

Then again, I look at the likes of the Spurs Stadium - the nearest comparison in terms of recent builds to this scale and money spent on it - and I prefer our stadium. A singular idea doesn't necessarily equal 'better'.

All along I've said the location is what makes our stadium world class. And world class is world class, however you cut it.

I love the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing. Externally anyway, it's spectacular. But something like that wouldn't fit as well into its surroundings as BM does currently.

View attachment 267396

The design not only had to be iconic (which it is, IMO) but it also needed to consider the immediate and future surrounding area. We'd have struggled to get through planning with a design that was completely out of sync with its surroundings.
Personally I think the birds nest looks like a a mess, I think at the time when ours was being built without the cladding on the the curved roofing it looked better than that.

I get what you mean here Dave, I’m made up with the design but at the same time, it was meant to be taller. If not for UNESCO or the Heritage whatever they’re called it was originally slightly larger in the original renders.

However, as shown in the pictures people have posted from a distance, if it didn’t have a metallic roof, you wouldn’t notice it and it would just blend in to the surrounding buildings, something I give Meiss credit for.

Also, those $7bn stadiums the Americans build, I think they lack taste, something I see in the coop live, just a plastic coating with no respect to the history or heritage of the local area, sure they also only use them for 20 years or so too. But have fantastic facilities.

Spurs stadium is spectacular inside (albeit a bit too populous (Arsenal and estadionde luz) and seems also too similar to an American and NFL hybrid), but my first time approaching it, in what’s a run down area, it looked like a modern day car park if you took away the lights and the tv screens.

Preference on buildings is of course subjective, one man's treasure is another man's trash.

I firmly believe if you were to take a poll, most would view the design as a positive. If you are in the I don't like it camp, then I'm afraid you have the particular tastes, not the other way around.

If it was all futuristic, then it would belong there. If it were all ye olde people would say we are stuck in the past. The hybrid is a good nod to where we have been and where we are heading.

Personally I think the birds nest looks like a a mess, I think at the time when ours was being built without the cladding on the the curved roofing it looked better than that.

I get what you mean here Dave, I’m made up with the design but at the same time, it was meant to be taller. If not for UNESCO or the Heritage whatever they’re called it was originally slightly larger in the original renders.

However, as shown in the pictures people have posted from a distance, if it didn’t have a metallic roof, you wouldn’t notice it and it would just blend in to the surrounding buildings, something I give Meiss credit for.

Also, those $7bn stadiums the Americans build, I think they lack taste, something I see in the coop live, just a plastic coating with no respect to the history or heritage of the local area, sure they also only use them for 20 years or so too. But have fantastic facilities.

Spurs stadium is spectacular inside (albeit a bit too populous (Arsenal and estadionde luz) and seems also too similar to an American and NFL hybrid), but my first time approaching it, in what’s a run down area, it looked like a modern day car park if you took away the lights and the tv screens.
I wouldnt say that applies at all to Lucas OIl stadium.

Looks like something you’d pick up at the beach.
The HKS blurb around its idea sounds like the unmitigated bollocks Meis came up with for 'the wave':

[It] is informed by extensive research into Southern California’s industry, architecture, lifestyle, climate, geography, and landscape, combining to create an authentic Southern California expression and experience. The sweeping coastline and the beauty and strength of the Pacific Ocean contribute to the clean and dramatic curves of the stadium’s unmistakable architecture

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back