New Everton Stadium

Personally I think the birds nest looks like a a mess, I think at the time when ours was being built without the cladding on the the curved roofing it looked better than that.

I get what you mean here Dave, I’m made up with the design but at the same time, it was meant to be taller. If not for UNESCO or the Heritage whatever they’re called it was originally slightly larger in the original renders.

However, as shown in the pictures people have posted from a distance, if it didn’t have a metallic roof, you wouldn’t notice it and it would just blend in to the surrounding buildings, something I give Meiss credit for.

Also, those $7bn stadiums the Americans build, I think they lack taste, something I see in the coop live, just a plastic coating with no respect to the history or heritage of the local area, sure they also only use them for 20 years or so too. But have fantastic facilities.

Spurs stadium is spectacular inside (albeit a bit too populous (Arsenal and estadionde luz) and seems also too similar to an American and NFL hybrid), but my first time approaching it, in what’s a run down area, it looked like a modern day car park if you took away the lights and the tv screens.
The roof is the breathtaking part of the design. I'm not a fan of the 'brickwork' facade of this stadium or the scores of metal panelling that break it up way too much. It looks unconvincing.

The roof is the breathtaking part of the design. I'm not a fan of the 'brickwork' facade of this stadium or the scores of metal panelling that break it up way too much. It looks unconvincing.

Agreed. The gaps in the brick work are something I’d criticise.

I’d rather the gaps be glass at least, or not have straight gaps and have windows in respect of the other warehouses ie: tobbaco warehouse.

Agreed. The gaps in the brick work are something I’d criticise.

I’d rather the gaps be glass at least, or not have straight gaps and have windows in respect of the other warehouses ie: tobbaco warehouse.

I dont know whether it's all down to climate conditions on the waterfront why we have to have so much of that panelling.

I dont know whether it's all down to climate conditions on the waterfront why we have to have so much of that panelling.
Down to cost I assume. The original design was much more intricate with more variation in the width of the brick panels, so I imagine the unit and installation costs would have been far greater.

It is my main gripe with the current design, on the North Stand in particular, which always puts me in mind of a 1960's seaside arcade for some unfathomable reason.

Or ventilation, either way it’s so much better than the car park the arena the other end of the river got away with.

How this didn’t get opposed I have no idea.

IMG_8060.jpeg

No criticism at all from me, world class and iconic

It absolutely is, but there’s always something the half full glass of me would question.

Either way I’m still blown away after seeing it from the other side of the river yesterday. It literally is a global city landmark.

Your videos are brilliant btw. Literally made a YouTube account just to subscribe, I love your genuine approach to the commentary.

It cost 7billion Dave.

The Statement it would have made is "We are morons".
That's an insane amount of money!!

Read stuff that says parking is horrendous and transport links aren't great. Someone on Reddit said stadium parking for Wrestle Mania was between $60 and $75 😲.

Most people saying the stadium itself is awesome though.

It's all subjective. Personally I think the brick base and it's simplicity does a good job of reflecting the local and historic architecture without mimicking it in some tacky pastiche and as such allows the addition of the more modern and striking barrel roof and glazing.

I know you're more on the side of something modern Dave, but whatever your taste we know that we had to please a lot of statutory consultees on the design with what some will see as compromise and others will see as enhancement. Again, it's subjective. Pleasing Davek with a modern/striking design (or another section of the fan base with a more traditionalist taste) would not have got it built.

It's been mentioned a few times in the last few pages on here, but personally I think that the Lucas Oil Stadium is pretty ugly and (aside from the retractable roof and a larger capacity) has little going for it over ours. In my (subjective) opinion it is the "tacky" pastiche I refer to above. Something that the Americans seem to like doing in some of their architecture.

Screenshot_20240803_104846_Google.jpg

It's all subjective. Personally I think the brick base and it's simplicity does a good job of reflecting the local and historic architecture without mimicking it in some tacky pastiche and as such allows the addition of the more modern and striking barrel roof and glazing.

I know you're more on the side of something modern Dave, but whatever your taste we know that we had to please a lot of statutory consultees on the design with what some will see as compromise and others will see as enhancement. Again, it's subjective. Pleasing Davek with a modern/striking design (or another section of the fan base with a more traditionalist taste) would not have got it built.

It's been mentioned a few times in the last few pages on here, but personally I think that the Lucas Oil Stadium is pretty ugly and (aside from the retractable roof and a larger capacity) has little going for it over ours. In my (subjective) opinion it is the "tacky" pastiche I refer to above. Something that the Americans seem to like doing in some of their architecture.

View attachment 267450
I agree with you about the Lucas Oil stadium. It looks too austere.

It absolutely is, but there’s always something the half full glass of me would question.

Either way I’m still blown away after seeing it from the other side of the river yesterday. It literally is a global city landmark.

Your videos are brilliant btw. Literally made a YouTube account just to subscribe, I love your genuine approach to the commentary.
Thanks so much, as you would probably guess I'm obsessed and will be down there later today to the drone up and have a look around 💙

No criticism at all from me, world class and iconic
For sure.

Discussions over preferences of design wont change that.

The roof of this thing is sheer beauty. It stops you in your tracks when you're down there looking at it. And, of course, the location on the riverfront with THOSE backdrops out over the Mersey AND foregrounded against the city skyline are images that'll instantly make it one of the best stadiums in Europe.

The PL coverage and especially Euro 2028 are going to help create for Everton a lot of new fans worldwide.

Preference on buildings is of course subjective, one man's treasure is another man's trash.

I firmly believe if you were to take a poll, most would view the design as a positive. If you are in the I don't like it camp, then I'm afraid you have the particular tastes, not the other way around.

If it was all futuristic, then it would belong there. If it were all ye olde people would say we are stuck in the past. The hybrid is a good nod to where we have been and where we are heading.
The intent was always for it to look like it had grown from the ‘existing’ dock buildings iirc, and in that respect it definitely fits the brief.
Personally really like the contrast of old (effect) and new.
Looks like a spaceship landed on an old warehouse.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back