• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

So are they gonna be bought out or not?
Let's consider the facts.

Almost 2 years ago the not so crafty Saudi government was linked to Newcastle in a takeover bid through a soon to be discredited in a court of law Amanda Staveley. The owner of Newcastle even offered a method of financing the whole deal so keen is he to sell off the club.

Some delays occurred due to the onset of a major pandemic pushing the entire football industry (alongside many others) close to financial peril as well as having the potential to severely affect a lot of people's health and well-being. In the meantime questions were raised about the suitability of a regime that would hack a journalist into pieces if they criticised them.

The Saudis pulled out, if they were ever really in. They'd save face, probably realised that it wasn't worth the hassle. The decision makers probably breathed a sigh of relief.

And here the trail goes cold. Just people raking over the bones of a failed bid. Like a jilted lover unable to stop looking at their ex's Facebook.

I think the answer is absolutely no chance with this takeover bid. But if the selling price is right, someone else would step up I'm sure.

No.

The court case was brought by Ashley, he wants compensation from the PL for the collapsed deal and to bring it all out into the open about the collusion going on with some clubs and and the PL.

PIF will be announced as new Inter's owners according to recent reports in Italy.

I get the sense the PL has (perhaps inadvertently) made it clear that very wealthy owners from the middle east will no longer be accepted. I'd imagine if they want to buy (and with longer term turbulence around oil, this is not a given) it will be in other areas.

Inter at a snip price would be a smart buy for someone though (if you're into investing in football clubs as an MO!).

Let's consider the facts.

Almost 2 years ago the not so crafty Saudi government was linked to Newcastle in a takeover bid through a soon to be discredited in a court of law Amanda Staveley. The owner of Newcastle even offered a method of financing the whole deal so keen is he to sell off the club.

Some delays occurred due to the onset of a major pandemic pushing the entire football industry (alongside many others) close to financial peril as well as having the potential to severely affect a lot of people's health and well-being. In the meantime questions were raised about the suitability of a regime that would hack a journalist into pieces if they criticised them.

The Saudis pulled out, if they were ever really in. They'd save face, probably realised that it wasn't worth the hassle. The decision makers probably breathed a sigh of relief.

And here the trail goes cold. Just people raking over the bones of a failed bid. Like a jilted lover unable to stop looking at their ex's Facebook.

I think the answer is absolutely no chance with this takeover bid. But if the selling price is right, someone else would step up I'm sure.

Hang on, so the Premier League delayed and ultimately dismissed an investment of £300m into itself because the sport was in a moment of great financial peril? Some logic, that!

The Premier League blocked the bid because it wasn't satisfied that the bidding party was separate to the state of Saudi Arabia, and therefore expected the state itself to go through the OADT. The state was never going to accept that. Yesterday the PL's QC literally said that the transaction would be completed were this separation to be proven in arbitration.

Additionally (perhaps irrelevantly, perhaps not), there are claims from our side that the PL was lobbied by one of its commercial partners (Qatar-based BeIn) and members of the 'big six', therefore bringing their OADT into disrepute; but the separation is the crux of the issue, nothing else. Sadly the human rights stuff was but a PR tool; it, in itself, would never have been a reason to deny the takeover, unless the Saudi state was scrutinised in the OADT. The League hasn't suddenly narrowed its moral compass.

I wouldn't be surprised if this takeover never happens, I honestly couldn't bet on it either way; but the trail isn't cold atm. Arbitration starts again on 3rd January (where they will argue that point of separation) and then the CAT case will follow, should Ashley win the jurisdiction argument, which was deliberated over yesterday.

Of course, the Saudis may be out of the picture at this point, thus rendering these legal battles a very expensive waste of time. But most of the intel around it suggests they'll give it another go should the PL open the door. However, they won't be prepared to wait long into 2022. Either way, I'm longing for some closure.

Hang on, so the Premier League delayed and ultimately dismissed an investment of £300m into itself because the sport was in a moment of great financial peril? Some logic, that!

The Premier League blocked the bid because it wasn't satisfied that the bidding party was separate to the state of Saudi Arabia, and therefore expected the state itself to go through the OADT. The state was never going to accept that. Yesterday the PL's QC literally said that the transaction would be completed were this separation to be proven in arbitration.

Additionally (perhaps irrelevantly, perhaps not), there are claims from our side that the PL was lobbied by one of its commercial partners (Qatar-based BeIn) and members of the 'big six', therefore bringing their OADT into disrepute; but the separation is the crux of the issue, nothing else. Sadly the human rights stuff was but a PR tool; it, in itself, would never have been a reason to deny the takeover, unless the Saudi state was scrutinised in the OADT. The League hasn't suddenly narrowed its moral compass.

I wouldn't be surprised if this takeover never happens, I honestly couldn't bet on it either way; but the trail isn't cold atm. Arbitration starts again on 3rd January (where they will argue that point of separation) and then the CAT case will follow, should Ashley win the jurisdiction argument, which was deliberated over yesterday.

Of course, the Saudis may be out of the picture at this point, thus rendering these legal battles a very expensive waste of time. But most of the intel around it suggests they'll give it another go should the PL open the door. However, they won't be prepared to wait long into 2022. Either way, I'm longing for some closure.

This sounds like a lot of speculation, and no hard evidence.

Premier League was lobbied by BeIN, Big Six to stop this happening. Sorry, but as gutless as the top 6 are, I refuse to believe Daniel Levy has a say in who is allowed a Premier League Club,

Wouldn't lower their already low moral compass, would surely mean they'd have no issue jumping into bed with Qatari based media, and Saudi consortiums. Maybe the Premier League is looking after its best interests and standing about Saudi's, who regularly stream illegal streams of the league, which costs the league Millions each season, and ultimately, the who reasoning is is £300m to one entity worth more than millions spread out.

Everyone can speculate, but there's nothing concrete to your comments, following the second paragraph, which makes me believe it's still nothing more than pie in the sky thoughts anyway.

I don't know why Newcastle fans put themselves through it. We did it for years, but you've got to stick it on the back burner, and expect nothing, and then you can't ultimately be disappointed. If, and when A takeover comes, then you can enjoy it.

@barneygumble I don't think I've presented anything as absolute fact, though the stuff about Saudi separation is the account of absolutely everyone, including the Premier League, as they admitted it on Friday. The stuff about the lobbying is speculation (which is why I wrote 'there are claims' in my last post) but it's based on what was discussed in the CAT jurisdiction case on Friday, so it's not baseless. For our side to be pushing that, you'd have to assume there's some evidence somewhere - but clearly the public isn't party to it.

BTW, Daniel Levy definitely does have a say in who gets to own Premier League clubs. The PL is a members organisation where all members have a vote on things. If you remember Project Restart, it was the likes of Levy who wanted to strengthen their vote/weaken the vote of other clubs, to ensure they had a greater say over matters such as this.

As for expectations, again, as I've said a couple of times - I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it didn't happen. But whilst there are people actively trying to make it so, one can't help but take an interest.

I get the impression here that there's an assumption that I'm presenting my thoughts as "we're getting taken over by the Saudis, watch out, Everton fans!"; it really couldn't be further from this. I live in hope of course, but I've no great confidence that we'll get the outcome we want.

We just need closure on this; they said during CAT that Ashley's had a bunch of credible offers from other parties but he's shunned them cos he still hopes to sell to the Saudis. The whole saga is just an albatross atm.

Last edited:
@barneygumble I don't think I've presented anything as absolute fact, though the stuff about Saudi separation is the account of absolutely everyone, including the Premier League, as they admitted it on Friday. The stuff about the lobbying is speculation (which is why I wrote 'there are claims' in my last post) but it's based on what was discussed in the CAT jurisdiction case on Friday, so it's not baseless. For our side to be pushing that, you'd have to assume there's some evidence somewhere - but clearly the public isn't party to it.

BTW, Daniel Levy definitely does have a say in who gets to own Premier League clubs. The PL is a members organisation where all members have a vote on things. If you remember Project Restart, it was the likes of Levy who wanted to strengthen their vote/weaken the vote of other clubs, to ensure they had a greater say over matters such as this.

As for expectations, again, as I've said a couple of times - I wouldn't be remotely surprised if it didn't happen. But whilst there are people actively trying to make it so, one can't help but take an interest.

I get the impression here that there's an assumption that I'm presenting my thoughts as "we're getting taken over by the Saudis, watch out, Everton fans!"; it really couldn't be further from this. I live in hope of course, but I've no great confidence that we'll get the outcome we want.

We just need closure on this; they said during CAT that Ashley's had a bunch of credible offers from other parties but he's shunned them cos he still hopes to sell to the Saudis. The whole saga is just an albatross atm.

Tbh mate to me that sounds like Ashley wants a bit of compo from the PL legal battle & to keep his train set.

I dont think he has much desire to sell the club certainly not for £300 million. Clubs in the PL are big investments these days hence why the likes of FSG and Glazers wont entertain £2+ billion offers.

Very few owners will actively be selling clubs at present as the cash cow will only get bigger post pandemic.

Look at WHU - midtable and one good manager appointment from now being in Europe with increased revenues etc.

I can't see Ashley selling unless Newcastle are in a position similiar to WHU where he could cash in at maximum value.

Be sure though, if the Saudi's take over, to appoint a good DoF to oversee the inevitable recruitingboom at the club. FFP will kill you.
Marcel Brands is doing a stellar job here, but it might be possible to lure him to Tyneside...

@Forever Blue it's totally plausible that the CAT case is purely about Ashley seeking compensation (though the claim does stipulate that they're seeking the PL's reversal of their decision (non-decision) to block the takeover, in addition to compensation for Ashley). It wouldn't be the first/a-thousand-and-first time he's lied to us though.

But the sale was agreed last April for 300-odd million; it was done, the PL just blocked it. The concurrent arbitration case isn't about Ashley seeking compensation, it's about proving separation between PIF and Saudi state, so that would indicate there's still an appetite to sell at a similar price. But again, I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was some ulterior motive that was all about him. He's an awful prick after all.

@Forever Blue it's totally plausible that the CAT case is purely about Ashley seeking compensation (though the claim does stipulate that they're seeking the PL's reversal of their decision (non-decision) to block the takeover, in addition to compensation for Ashley). It wouldn't be the first/a-thousand-and-first time he's lied to us though.

But the sale was agreed last April for 300-odd million; it was done, the PL just blocked it. The concurrent arbitration case isn't about Ashley seeking compensation, it's about proving separation between PIF and Saudi state, so that would indicate there's still an appetite to sell at a similar price. But again, I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was some ulterior motive that was all about him. He's an awful prick after all.
Have you ever put that on a bedsheet banner?

Does wonders for the soul, so I'm told.

This sounds like a lot of speculation, and no hard evidence.

Premier League was lobbied by BeIN, Big Six to stop this happening. Sorry, but as gutless as the top 6 are, I refuse to believe Daniel Levy has a say in who is allowed a Premier League Club,

Wouldn't lower their already low moral compass, would surely mean they'd have no issue jumping into bed with Qatari based media, and Saudi consortiums. Maybe the Premier League is looking after its best interests and standing about Saudi's, who regularly stream illegal streams of the league, which costs the league Millions each season, and ultimately, the who reasoning is is £300m to one entity worth more than millions spread out.

Everyone can speculate, but there's nothing concrete to your comments, following the second paragraph, which makes me believe it's still nothing more than pie in the sky thoughts anyway.

I don't know why Newcastle fans put themselves through it. We did it for years, but you've got to stick it on the back burner, and expect nothing, and then you can't ultimately be disappointed. If, and when A takeover comes, then you can enjoy it.

Have a little sympathy with this over Newcastle, if Say Liverpool or Man United were being bought out by the Saudi's, does anyone think three PL would look into it as closely ?

Have a little sympathy with this over Newcastle, if Say Liverpool or Man United were being bought out by the Saudi's, does anyone think three PL would look into it as closely ?

Personally, I actually do think so.

Personally for me, if another City came along, I think they'd block it. Whether you like it or not, what the Premier League have got, is a product which is the hottest ticket in town. If they have a club come in, and blow everyone away, then they get a Bundesliga. If they do it, and it goes the other way, Carson Yeung etc.. then they risk losing one of their prize assets.

Equally, I still don't think they touch them cause of the way Saudi's ethical stance, and I think, that's something that goes against the image.

Loads of reasons to not do it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back