• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

Personally, I actually do think so.

Personally for me, if another City came along, I think they'd block it. Whether you like it or not, what the Premier League have got, is a product which is the hottest ticket in town. If they have a club come in, and blow everyone away, then they get a Bundesliga. If they do it, and it goes the other way, Carson Yeung etc.. then they risk losing one of their prize assets.

Equally, I still don't think they touch them cause of the way Saudi's ethical stance, and I think, that's something that goes against the image.

Loads of reasons to not do it.

I think they realised they made a big mistake allowing the City takeover to go ahead although in fairness Citys takeover was more to do with Sheikh Mansour than the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Abu Dhabi which PIF is for Saudi.

Personally, I actually do think so.

Personally for me, if another City came along, I think they'd block it. Whether you like it or not, what the Premier League have got, is a product which is the hottest ticket in town. If they have a club come in, and blow everyone away, then they get a Bundesliga. If they do it, and it goes the other way, Carson Yeung etc.. then they risk losing one of their prize assets.

Equally, I still don't think they touch them cause of the way Saudi's ethical stance, and I think, that's something that goes against the image.

Loads of reasons to not do it.

Conjecture /opinion i know, but if that's the case, would Usmanov be blocked from buying us / owning a share of our club ?

Conjecture /opinion i know, but if that's the case, would Usmanov be blocked from buying us / owning a share of our club ?

My personal opinion, would be no. The reason, is purely down to, he's already passed their tests, if they turned round and said "no, you can't", then he'd wipe the floor.

Usmanov is obviously not running Uzbekistan/Russia, and whether his background is shady (it almost certainly is), he's got no ties to ethical rights, like Saudi Arabia does. The Premier League has a a market which is open to everyone, and is inclusive... I just feel welcoming in Saudi Royalty and leaderships, can potentially dilute their market.

On your initial point, and if you're correct regarding thinking they'd be easier on the "Big 6", then i'd fully agree. But again, my opinion is better the devil you know, and I think they'd resist a Saudi approach, whether it's ironically, ethical of the Premier League to do so.

I think they realised they made a big mistake allowing the City takeover to go ahead although in fairness Citys takeover was more to do with Sheikh Mansour than the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Abu Dhabi which PIF is for Saudi.

It's a bit like PSG, they should in essence be dominating Europe, and ruling football. They're backed by QSI, which is exactly what PIF is.

PSG's budget compared to other clubs in Europe, let alone France, is frightening. I 100% agree, I think the Premier League does regret the Mansour takeover, even if in it's own right has made the competiion have some excellent memories.

The one thing you can say about the CFG ownership, is they've built a legacy, and are regenerating an area, which is badly run down. They've invested in youth, women's and their own training complex's, they're building infrastructure for the City and have grown football, in other areas by investing in South America, USA, China etc. They're an anomaly, and whilst their wealth has probably ruined football, they actually seem keen to grow their brand and make a difference unlike PSG.

So i guess, whilst there will still be regrets, the benefit it's had on the game has been positive, even if it is manufactured, nasty and corporate.

It was to do more with Sportwashing, Mansour has only been to one game and that was the first home game after he bought them in 2008, he hasn't even been to any of the umpteen finals they have been in, he's the face of the ownership but it's a state owned enterprise for sportswashing purposes.

Expect the minority Sunni Bahraini royal family to buy a club soon they are due some good PR after the anti monarchist uprisings a few years ago during the Arab Spring and their continuing brutal actions against the majority Shia population will needed to be deflected away from, so buying a club will divert the news away from that.

And if the Saudi's do decide to buy the Barcodes, then it will pretty much soon be a big 7 cabel, and the rest of the PL clubs even further away from winning trophies or getting European spots, expect the Super League to be back on the agenda, it was the Saudi's idea to FIFA to have a World Cup every 2 years, they are diving head first into sports, Boxing, F1, Wrestling, Golf and now football.

Really need PIF to buy Inter, bad enough having 2 petro dollar clubs in the PL, having 3 would be a disaster for the integrity of the PL.

Last edited:

It was to do more with Sportwashing, Mansour has only been to one game and that was the first home game after he bought them in 2008, he hasn't even been to any of the umpteen finals they have been in, he's the face of the ownership but it's a state owned enterprise for sportswashing purposes.

Sounds like you seem sour about someone blocking Liverpool's plan for League domination if you ask me?

Expect the minority Sunni Bahraini royal family to buy a club soon they are due some good PR after the anti monarchist uprisings a few years ago during the Arab Spring and their continuing brutal actions against the majority Shia population will needed to be deflected away from, so buying a club will divert the news away from that.

And if the Saudi's do decide to buy the Barcodes, then it will pretty much soon be a big 7 cabel, and the rest of the PL clubs even further away from winning trophies or getting European spots, expect the Super League to be back on the agenda, it was the Saudi's idea to FIFA to have a World Cup every 2 years, they are diving head first into sports, Boxing, F1, Wrestling, Golf and now football.

Really need PIF to buy Inter, bad enough having 2 petro dollar clubs in the PL, having 3 would be a disaster for the integrity of the PL.

Ok HongKongToffee.

Spot on my Neatherfield Road brother.

Much more ethical to be owned by Trump supporting Septic venture capitalists.

TRUMP..jpg

PS, How come we never see you in the live EFC matchday threads?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back