• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

Football is proper dead isn't it? Murdered by money.

Another state owned football club that magically passes the laughable director's test once what should be an entirely separate TV rights deal is sorted out.

Honestly, I hate football now. I only hold an interest in a ridiculous hope it somehow turns itself around, but I did the same for WWE - which is equally fixed - and eventually that love died, the same will happen for football for me.

It's not that I'm 'jealous' of Newcastle getting rich owners; it's that a club like Newcastle shouldn't have to sell its' soul to literal actual murderers to compete. No club should.

I know Mansour and Abramovich aint squeekly clean neither is Usmanov but none have been implicated in funding terrorism, murdering a journalist and chopping them up with a bonesaw.

Its a disgrace not one media outlet has the guts to call it out for what it ultimately is.

Soon as the ESL is done the better as thats when football will go back to how it should be with them long gone.

They need to stay in the league this season first btw..

I don't see that as a big deal, they have a championship squad anyhow so the foundation will remain the same that they need to build upon. The parachute payments will tie them over, however if they fail to bounce straight back then it might start to change the dynamics.

It also depends how you view the owners expectations, you might be seeing it as they need to strike while the iron is hot, they might be happy to take that hit and use it as an excuse why they can't shell out 100/200 million on new players shortly after waxing 400 or so million buying the club. Whatever happens it is still going to be crucial how they spend that first bit of money whether it's a one time hit in the summer or over a 3/4 window period.

I mean, why are we concerned?

We spent nearly £500m, and we have nothing to show for it. Financially hamstrung by FFP, there wouldn't be a lot Newcastle can do anyway.

I mean, in theory, why shouldn't Newcastle and Everton be able to spent money, every other business in the world can. But Newcastle have shown since sacking Robson, that they're incapable of good decisions, so if this does come off, I expect a £100m bid for Mbappe, and instead they send the equivalent of Choupo-Moting and hope no one even notices.

We spent nearly £500m, and we have nothing to show for it. Financially hamstrung by FFP, there wouldn't be a lot Newcastle can do anyway.

I mean, in theory, why shouldn't Newcastle and Everton be able to spent money, every other business in the world can. But Newcastle have shown since sacking Robson, that they're incapable of good decisions, so if this does come off, I expect a £100m bid for Mbappe, and instead they send the equivalent of Choupo-Moting and hope no one even notices.

Like @catcherintherye says it could go one of two ways they want a Plaything or an investment long term.

However another monied club thrown into an already congested top half of the table isnt good for us regardless if they turn into a Man City or another Villa/Spurs type club.

Be interesting if they do a naming rights deal on their stadium as will give us an idea on what Usmanov/USM can get away with at BMD.

Like @catcherintherye says it could go one of two ways they want a Plaything or an investment long term.

However another monied club thrown into an already congested top half of the table isnt good for us regardless if they turn into a Man City or another Villa/Spurs type club.

Be interesting if they do a naming rights deal on their stadium as will give us an idea on what Usmanov/USM can get away with at BMD.

I mean, not every club is owned by a Sheikh Mansour, or a QSI.

Like my very clear and obvious example is Malága, bought by a Sheikh, who spent, spent and spent, and they qualified for the QF of the Champions League, lost to an extremely contentious decision. The he threw his toys out the pram and pulled the finance. Just being owned by a Billionaire, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to become a top side, over a sustained period.

I guess the situation will be, do they want fame overnight or do they wanted to slowly build up, and then attack.

As an Everton fan, I'm far more concerned by the threat of Villa than Newcastle, who's owner (if Newcastle aren't state run) is wealthier than the Newcastle owners.

I hope if this takeover ever actually grows legs and walks, that the new owners spend as recklessly as Moshiri and hand them financial punishments that leave them pining for Ashley’s security.

It'll be years and years before they become competitive if it goes through, just like it happened to City.

However...the issue is mainly down to the fact money is clearly not an issue. They'd spend billions and fail but then spent more to fix it. And we all know the EPL won't touch them, they've got the best accountants money can buy brushing it to one side.

It's basically like slapping an unlimited funds cheat code into Footy Manager. But whether anyone decent plays for them is another thing.

I do think a whole country owning a football club is wrong though

I mean, not every club is owned by a Sheikh Mansour, or a QSI.

Like my very clear and obvious example is Malága, bought by a Sheikh, who spent, spent and spent, and they qualified for the QF of the Champions League, lost to an extremely contentious decision. The he threw his toys out the pram and pulled the finance. Just being owned by a Billionaire, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to become a top side, over a sustained period.

I guess the situation will be, do they want fame overnight or do they wanted to slowly build up, and then attack.

As an Everton fan, I'm far more concerned by the threat of Villa than Newcastle, who's owner (if Newcastle aren't state run) is wealthier than the Newcastle owners.

The Malaga guy threw a trantrum for an even funnier reason

The City of Malaga refused to deepen the port enough to fit his yacht

The more decent clubs out there then hopefully it will bring down the points tally to win the league which would be a good thing for everyone. We are ahead of the barcodes at the moment so if we make good decisions from here on out we should be at least be able to compete with them.

To get to our standard they would need 200 million, to get to City they would need a billion and I can't see anyone wanting to spend that much money as they could do that and City go out and spend another 250m and because they are already established they will comfortably stay ahead of Newcastle. No one has that much cash to waste.

It'll be years and years before they become competitive if it goes through, just like it happened to City.

However...the issue is mainly down to the fact money is clearly not an issue. They'd spend billions and fail but then spent more to fix it. And we all know the EPL won't touch them, they've got the best accountants money can buy brushing it to one side.

It's basically like slapping an unlimited funds cheat code into Footy Manager. But whether anyone decent plays for them is another thing.

I do think a whole country owning a football club is wrong though

I dont know how its even in the rules to be allowed - its like the Tories using the bank of england to buy Oxford Utd and dope them into the CL.

There would be outrage yet the PL is perfectly happy for another country to do the same.

I dont know how its even in the rules to be allowed - its like the Tories using the bank of england to buy Oxford Utd and dope them into the CL.

There would be outrage yet the PL is perfectly happy for another country to do the same.
I listened to a podcast about this a while back and that is essentially what’ll be happening. Though it’s arguably worse as Saudi has some of the worst human rights going, and has shown it’s literally willing to send death squads to chop up any journalists who slag them off.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back