• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Newcastle Utd (and Viz)

If the takeover goes through I can honestly see the big 6 having a moment and trying to get the PL to make some small print that makes them even more untouchable. Newcastles best way forward (imo) would be to get a decent coach with a record of improving players and doing a more big money version of what the likes of Leipzig/Brentford do and buying up the best young talent around and improving them and seeing where they are after a few years. They are not just going to challenge for CL and for the title straight away like fans think imo.

If the takeover goes through I can honestly see the big 6 having a moment and trying to get the PL to make some small print that makes them even more untouchable. Newcastles best way forward (imo) would be to get a decent coach with a record of improving players and doing a more big money version of what the likes of Leipzig/Brentford do and buying up the best young talent around and improving them and seeing where they are after a few years. They are not just going to challenge for CL and for the title straight away like fans think imo.

Not a chance they’ve not at least had reassurances when they did the breakaway that no club could join their monopoly.

I think as HK toffee mentioned UEFA will simply appease them by giving 2 extra CL spaces to allow as many of the scab 6 in as possible.

The ESL is only a matter of time anyway I think the CL will be replaced within the decade unless teams get "automatic" entry based on coefficient points like is currently in the pipeline so if LFC miss out one year on top 4 they get in via a "wildcard entry".

It all utterly stinks - I just wish we had the chance like Leicester have had recently of winning 1-2 pieces of silverware before it becomes full on near impossible to compete.

How odious is modern day football these days btw

Qatar World Cup
Grubby agents
Despot royals and russian gangsters owning clubs
Ludicrous wages

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so emotionally invested in Everton as I would have jibbed it off for Rugby League years ago
You would have the same issues with NRL & Australia pretty much running the sport and taking the best Super League players. No sport is perfect.
both codes of Rugby have less money and corruption involved than most global sports but have other, glaring issues that aren't immediately obvious and both codes are kind of in a swink or swim state right now, at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

It's a sad indictment on our whole society really. Shows how underhand everything really is. I expect it of tories so am not surprised they have supposedly been having secret meetings with the Saudis to try to resolve the deal, but I'd expect labour mps to have stuck to their morals about it. Then Reuben planned for the board when he is a tory donor and close with Johnson. The premier league is a farce now and this makes them look so weak. Trying to pretend it isn't state owned despite all the funding being state controlled being overseen by the Crown prince. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't really care about whether they get taken over, or the fact they have money, most money in football is dirty as are most owners, but it just shows how corrupt everything is across the board.

I dont know why they continue to make fools of themselves. Was embarassing when City were bending us over for Lescott and our fans were bouncing around with "9 league titles lad" fast forward a decade later and they have almost overtaken our century+ haul.

Dont get me wrong it could go tits up but every Oil backed club (City, PSG) have ignored FFP and become top dogs in the matter of seasons. More than likely Newcastle could follow suit whilst we pretend we are too cool to care that its another big obstacle in our way to ever be relevant again instead of just making up the numbers.
Bullseye

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back