Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This season has royally bombed already, think Big Sam until the end of the season to steady the ship is our best option ATM and it'll give us more time to assess longer-term candidates and open up more options for next season.

I'm all for Unsworth and here's why.

He appears to be a leader - those U23's would run through brick walls for him, and then rebuild the wall wherever he told them to. Ok so he doesn't have PL experience - so what? He's hardly clueless at football is he? And can it get much worse than what we saw these past few weeks? Neither did a young David Moyes coming from lower leagues and for all his faults he did reasonably well getting to 4th and back up the right end of the table at least.

Unsworth getting the gig now would have a similar impact to Joe Royle in 1994. I'd go with him, even if it's on a temp basis or whatever while we found another. But if he got it full time I'd have that.

Plus he knows the players and knows - and loves - the club. He's bright, too, and able to take a range of approaches to individuals depending on their needs. And I don't think you'd argue with him.

I would prefer Unsworth to get it, but given how concerned I am at our prospects I would also accept Allardyce getting the job.

Pride before a fall.

Unsworth, though, should be given the opportunity. We at least have another fallback in that scenario if things go wrong, but that is too disastrous to contemplate right now.

We are in my opinion 50/50 to go down we cannot take a punt under these circumstances with the likes of Unsworth. Got to be an Allardyce or other proven relegation Houdini artist.

As much as I like him - when I think Unsworth all I can think of is Tim Sherwood's ill fated tenure at the spuds...
I feel he needs to manage a lower league side to get the experience a top tier manager needs.
Also an inter-rim role with our current squad - if the bounce doesn't come, has the potential to destroy his future managerial aspirations

Agreed on this.

However, it doesn't have to be a long-term punt.

This is what I'd do:

1. Sack Koeman

2. Get Unsworth in as Caretaker

3. Assess the situation in mid-December

4. If Unsworth is doing well, keep him on until the end of the season and have Steve Walsh take charge of January transfers. Reassess in the summer.

5. If he's not doing well, send him back to U23's to continue his development, and install a "big name" (Ancelotti, Tuchel or whoever is available) in mid-December, allowing them half a month to assess the squad and then the month January to make necessary signings.

We're not gonna be relegated. We need to turtle down and get a bit of unity into this shambles of a squad. Unsworth is nothing but a short-term solution, at best he'll just Shakespeare it up, at worst he'll go beyond repair.

The answer to our problems is not an English manager, anyway. But it certainly is someone who speaks the language better than this puffy-faced dutch clown.

I would prefer Unsworth to get it, but given how concerned I am at our prospects I would also accept Allardyce getting the job.

Pride before a fall.

Unsworth, though, should be given the opportunity. We at least have another fallback in that scenario if things go wrong, but that is too disastrous to contemplate right now.
Plus he can be a caretaker for a month (or more like) before we even look for someone else, as a test period.

Sack Koeman and give Unsy til christmas is the only choice I think. We don't need a longball merchant like Big Sam because we do not have the players for that. We need someone to instill confidence in a really young squad who can handly the Rooney-situation, I think Unsy would have Rooney's respect and he seems a brilliant man-manager.
If it wasn't for the lack of match tactics and a whole squad shot of confidence I think we would be safely midtable. All our points so far have come more because the opposition did not put us to the sword than anything to do with our game setup for matchday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back