Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espnfc.com/everton/story...el-arteta-a-candidate-for-everton-job-sources

Mikel Arteta is the surprise name on Everton's wanted list to replace Ronald Koeman, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC, while caretaker manager David Unsworth has said he would be interested in the role on a permanent basis.

Former Everton midfielder Arteta has been an assistant coach to Pep Guardiola at Manchester City since July 2016 after retiring as a player and is already seen as a valuable member of the coaching staff.

However, the 35-year-old has admirers at Goodison Park who are looking to bring in a manager with fresh ideas and impetus.

Meanwhile, Everton under-23s manager Unsworth has been placed in temporary charge of the senior side after Koeman was dismissed on Monday, the second time he has had the position having previously been given it when Roberto Martinez was dismissed in 2016

Speaking at a news conference to preview Wednesday night's trip to Chelsea in a fourth-round League Cup tie, the former Everton defender said: "I'll repeat myself from the last time I sat here 18 months ago. Who wouldn't want this job?

"It's a wonderful football club with amazing fans and it's a top job for absolutely any manager, myself included.

"The chairman [Bill Kenwright] has given me an opportunity, [majority shareholder] Farhad Moshiri has given me an opportunity and the board have given me an opportunity to hopefully get a run of games where performance levels go up and we produce some results as well.

"From that, performances and results will dictate any future for me as Everton manager.

"I want to manage and this is an amazing to club to be manager of. I think the time has come to say that and make no secret of it at all. I do want to manage.

"What will be will be. I'll just do my best on the training ground every day and within the games, the staff and players I've got. We'll try and win a few football games.

"The chairman just asked me to take it. He's going to speak to me every day. We'll discuss it all the time. There's been no points total, number of matches [set]. I've just been asked to take the team. Hopefully there is a run of games."

One of the issues Unsworth hopes to solve during time in charge is to ensure Ross Barkley commits his future to the club.

The midfielder, who is currently out with a hamstring injury, had informed Everton he would not be extending his contract, which has less than 12 months to run, and drew interest from Chelsea and Tottenham in the summer transfer window.

"I spoke to Ross this morning. I saw him in the gym, he's working really hard and coming along nicely," Unsworth added.

"My opinion on Ross is [that] I would absolutely love him to stay. He is a top talent. Everton has done great for him and he's done great for Everton.

"He could be one of the all-time greats here and I would love him to be persuaded by myself, the chairman and Farhad to stay and sign a contract because we shouldn't be losing players of his quality.

"He's a great player that's come through our ranks. I feel very strongly that we shouldn't be losing our own players.

"I have not spoken to him about that [his contract] but I will be doing. I'd love him to sit down and have a cup of tea with me and discuss the possibility of signing and staying here because we love him and I know he loves Everton as well.

"I want everyone to come together and hopefully we can thrash something out with Ross."

Unsworth confirmed his backroom staff will be formed of John Ebbrell, Duncan Ferguson, Joe Royle and Alan Kelly, while Francis Jeffers will take charge of the U23s.

I'd argue the opposite - he got Bill but not Everton. He shunned the history of the club and I firmly believe he always saw us a stepping stone for himself and players.

For all his faults, Martinez certainly got Everton.

this. Moyes, like koeman believed everton were no better than the "big 4" and when that started expanding to the top 6, neither played these teams away with the intention of winning. Both thought we could just hang on for an hour and a half and pick up a point or two a season. Martinez was the only one to go to one of these places and win, and well, defensive fragility or not, had it not been for a disgusting linesman miss, would have won at stamford bridge too.

Good night
Some idiot probably reacted the same way when Barca gave Pep the job.
Christ sake.
He's been working with the best manager in the business and he has a lot going for him in terms of football experience. He was brought up at Barca, he then played in English football under traditional English values, and then he played and captain a cosmopolitan pretty ball side, and now he's working with the best in the business. Seen him take over a team through initial struggles and then fix it. Not only that, but Bellerin said that he was a naturally leader and the most knowledge player in their team with clear ideas. Not seeing how someone else is a better option.

He's been working with the best manager in the business and he has a lot going for him in terms of football experience. He was brought up at Barca, he then played in English football under traditional English values, and then he played and captain a cosmopolitan pretty ball side, and now he's working with the best in the business. Seen him take over a team through initial struggles and then fix it. Not only that, but Bellerin said that he was a naturally leader and the most knowledge player in their team with clear ideas. Not seeing how someone else is a better option.

Why dont we just give to Arteta, make Phil Neville his number 2, Giggs as 1st team coach?

Will the last one out of Goodison Park please switch off the lights.

FFS

Not really a sign of success at Everton is it?

Agree, and it could damage the fan relationship with a popular ex player and brilliant U23 manager.

I do have a feeling however, that he will put square pegs in square holes and play basic solid football with basic solid hard-working players, IMO this is exactly what we need in the short term.

Will he produce the kind of free-flowing football we saw in Martinez' first season? probably not, but hopefully he can steady the ship while we look for that person.

Stuff that we need to win back to The Dogs of War touch.

How many of sir Alex former players have failed at management? And he's one of the best. So they've learnt a few things but it's not made them good managers.

Who's your first choice?

tbh, I'm not sure mate. I only found out Koeman had got the sack this afternoon so it's all a bit new at the moment.

Despite his CV, I don't think Ancelotti's the right man for the job, it just doesn't seem like a good fit.

The likes of Moyes, Neville and Giggs aren't serious contenders.
Dyche would be a bit underwhelming, partly because he's ginge, but I'm pretty sure if it's offered to him, he'll come.

Silva looks the part and has a very good track record. A couple of Athenians I know thought he was the dogs bollocks. I'd be very happy with him coming here. Not sure he'd leave Watford right now though.

I'm surprised Tuchel hasn't ruled himself out. His recent record speaks for itself and, if he came here, it'd be a massive coup for us

Then there's Rhino

For me, a one, two, three would be :-

1. Tuchel ... or Silva, can't really make up my mind
  2. Silva ... or Tuchel
  3. Rhino
  4. Dyche
Yea, I know that's four.

Shorter term, I am hoping that we end tomorrow evening singing "We're on the march with Rhino's army ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back