Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why we need so long time to appoint a manager? The new manager also need time to familiarize the players in team,West Ham sack the manager and new manager is appointed three days later. If the club not want to appoint new manager,the board should announce the management by Unsworth to the end of the season.

I understand why fans may feel frustrated, but what is an extra 2 or 3 weeks when you're looking for someone who will lead the club for the next 4 or 5 years or even longer ?

Turn the question on its head : why on earth would a multi million pound business like a Premier League club want to make such a key appointment so quickly, without any selection process or due diligence ? It smacks of big money owners treating the club as their own private plaything rather than a professionally run operation. Maybe you could justify it as a way of snaring an in-demand manager like Carlo Ancelotti. But generally it's a risky and unsatisfactory way to run a business. As West Ham fans who've been landed with David Moyes will no doubt tell you, and West Ham are far from being the worst offenders. Crystal Palace have had at least 10 managers since 2010 - should we really be following their example ?

Everton appointments take more time as they follow a more professional process. Applications come in, a short list is agreed, the short listed candidates are interviewed, and decisions are made by a panel. At the end of the day we're reliant on the judgement of the people who run our club to make the right decision and who knows how much say Moshiri would have when it comes to making the final call. But ask yourself this : if Sam Allardyce was one of the short listed candidates, would you not want the club to carry out some research into his past background and dealings before making an appointment ?

I understand why fans may feel frustrated, but what is an extra 2 or 3 weeks when you're looking for someone who will lead the club for the next 4 or 5 years or even longer ?

Turn the question on its head : why on earth would a multi million pound business like a Premier League club want to make such a key appointment so quickly, without any selection process or due diligence ? It smacks of big money owners treating the club as their own private plaything rather than a professionally run operation. Maybe you could justify it as a way of snaring an in-demand manager like Carlo Ancelotti. But generally it's a risky and unsatisfactory way to run a business. As West Ham fans who've been landed with David Moyes will no doubt tell you, and West Ham are far from being the worst offenders. Crystal Palace have had at least 10 managers since 2010 - should we really be following their example ?

Everton appointments take more time as they follow a more professional process. Applications come in, a short list is agreed, the short listed candidates are interviewed, and decisions are made by a panel. At the end of the day we're reliant on the judgement of the people who run our club to make the right decision and who knows how much say Moshiri would have when it comes to making the final call. But ask yourself this : if Sam Allardyce was one of the short listed candidates, would you not want the club to carry out some research into his past background and dealings before making an appointment ?
A well run one of those would have been making plans for a transition when the wheels started to come off Koeman's reign late September/early October. Unfortunately, we're run on an ad hoc basis by amateurs.

Beat me to it.

Candidates should have been sounded out months ago.
The decision to sack Koeman should only have been made on the basis that there was a candidate secured and ready to slot in a few days after Koeman departed.

That's how well run organisations operate.

Everton sacking Koeman looks now like blind panic on behalf of an out of touch owner largely unaware of the strength of feeling that had been built up against Koeman and who reacted in a knee jerk manner when he was there for that 5-2 drubbing by Arsenal.

This owner is not what people believe him to be. He is an absent landlord and completely clueless at football decision making and when they need to be executed.

The decision to sack Koeman should only have been made on the basis that there was a candidate secured and ready to slot in a few days after Koeman departed.

Everton sacking Koeman looks now like blind panic on behalf of an out of touch owner largely unaware of the strength of feeling that had been built up against Koeman and who reacted in a knee jerk manner when he was there for that 5-2 drubbing by Arsenal.

This owner is not what people believe him to be. He is an absent landlord and completely clueless at football decision making and when they need to be executed.

He would be getting no end of abuse if Koeman was still in the job now whilst they look for a replacement.

Beat me to it.

Candidates should have been sounded out months ago.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.

Until the manager is shown the door, there is no vacancy. Any approaches would have to be on an informal and non-attributable basis. You can't encourage people to throw their names in a hat for a non-existent vacancy - that would be totally unprofessional and disrespectful and undermining of the current boss. And you certainly can't interview anybody for the job beforehand. So how are you going to identify the right man for the job before firing your manager ? You're not, unless you're one of these owners who's happy to chance it and follow their gut instinct. I repeat : that really isn't a good model for running a football club.

It really isn't.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I think Koeman had lost the support of the players. Our dire football and results this season resulted in his correct dismissal in my eyes (and that's from someone who wanted Koeman here in the first place). I don't think it was a knee jerk reaction by Moshiri.
However if Moshiri has intentions to take this club forward as he claims, we need to be recruiting the best that are available. Don't waste our time trying to entice Simeone here, it's never going to happen in a million years. But Tuchel and Ancelotti are available. Koeman was on one of the highest paid contracts in the premier league, why not test the water with these two. As much as I admire David Unsworth, now is not the time for him to be appointed manager.

Was going to say this. If a leader has alienated people sometimes you have to let them go even without a clear succession plan. I've worked in a number of global "well run" organisations and would always advise taking time over appointing people to leadership positions.
And there are plenty examples to the contrary, in recent memory, of big companies/organisations completely failing to do it effectively.

The list should have consisted of realistic but high potential candidates.

Not the likes of Simeone or Ancelotti - who for various reasons would want a 'bigger' club, so mwe may as well just be pissing in the wind to try for them, all it does is confuse matters and watse time and give other more realistic candidates mixed signals and shows us as not having a clue

Tuchel should have been at the top of that list, and people like Allardyce and Dyche should have been nowhere near it

A well run one of those would have been making plans for a transition when the wheels started to come off Koeman's reign late September/early October. Unfortunately, we're run on an ad hoc basis by amateurs.

we defo reek of 'make it up as you go along' ... and cross all your fingers and pray that it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back