Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dyche might have a problem having to work with a director of football (Walsh) above him plus he would insist on having Ian Woan as his assistant and Tony Loughran as first-team coach.

He would have jumped at the chance of managing Everton in the days after Koeman's sacking - he still might jump at the chance although less likely after being rated below the likes of Allardyce & Silva.

But at least if he were to jump ship, he will have left Burnley in a healthy state for the new manager - 22 points from 12 games (level with Liverpool & Arsenal).:)

I did say facts!!!!

Estoril finished 5th and 4th in the Portuguese top division when he managed them, hardly a mid table side like you suggest.

You also fail to address the win percentage, Silva's 53% against Dyche's 39%.

Dyche I agree has done a decent job, but he has no European experience, He has only managed two similar sized clubs whereas Silva has managed clubs big and small in various leagues.

Is Silva a gamble? Yes, but all managers are to some extent. However for what we can hopefully attract to the club he seems to be the best fit.

If not Silva, Who would you go for and why?

My sentiments exactly.

Anybody who still think the club have this under control might be in for a bit of a shock.

Amateur shenanigans the likes of which we thought were a thing of the past.
Nonsense.

They’re happy for Unsworth to be in charge until a better manager becomes available.

"Dyche's CV is better than Silva and more suited for Everton"?

Let's look at the facts.

(ESTORIL 2012-2014) in Portugal. Silver took this 2nd division side from 10th and got them promoted as champions. The following season he took them to 5th place in the Portuguese top division, a first for the club and also qualified for the Europa league, also a first. The next season they finished fourth while inflicting a first home defeat on Porto since 2008.

(SPORTING 2014-2015) Led them to 3rd place in the championship and won the cup, thier first piece of silverware since 2008. Bizarrely sacked for not wearing club's official suit.

(OLYMPIOCOS 2015-2016) Won the title with a European record of 17 consecutive wins. Also played in the champions league including a victory over Arsenal at the Emirates. Left for personal reasons.

(HULL CITY JAN-MAY 2017) Joined when adrift at the bottom of the premiership. Almost achieved the impossible with a limited squad and a pitch that was being shared by a rugby team. Won his first four home games including victories over the red s***e and Man Utd in the cup.

(WATFORD 2017)......

So why is he highly thought of in footballing circles and why is he rumoured to be on the radar of the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd as a Future Manager?

European, Premiership and Champions league experience. Gets the best out of average players (Cleverly). Tactically aware. Attractive football. Impressive CV at his clubs. Has won titles and trophies. Still only young. Very impressive average win percentage of 53%.

Sean Dyche has a win percentage of 39%

So which part of Dyche's CV is better?

Great post.

Marco Silva is on a completely different level to Dyche.

People are going on about what a great job Marco Silva did with Hull. The fact that he very nearly kept up one of the worst squads in Premier League history was impressive, as was his feat of of guiding Hull to victory over Man Utd in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final. Others have mentioned how well Silva did to guide Sporting to their first major trophy in seven years.

However, for me it's his record at Olympiacos that's most impressive. Under his stewardship they won their first SEVENTEEN domestic matches of the 2015/16 season, eventually winning the Greek title (Superleague Greece) with ease. They also trounced Arsenal in the Champions League.

Cracking young manager.

Taking a club like Estoril from the lower reaches of Portugal's second tier (Segunda Liga) to the higher echelons of the Portuguese top-flight (Primeira Liga) was also extremely impressive.

Silva has done well at every club he's been at.

I did say facts!!!!

Estoril finished 5th and 4th in the Portuguese top division when he managed them, hardly a mid table side like you suggest.

You also fail to address the win percentage, Silva's 53% against Dyche's 39%.

Dyche I agree has done a decent job, but he has no European experience, He has only managed two similar sized clubs whereas Silva has managed clubs big and small in various leagues.

Is Silva a gamble? Yes, but all managers are to some extent. However for what we can hopefully attract to the club he seems to be the best fit.

If not Silva, Who would you go for and why?

I accept we are comparing apples and pairs.
A season in Greece with Olympiacos will obviously alter the statistics in his favour.
I would take Dyche not because I think he is perfect, but because I think we need a stable couple of years of progress before pushing the champions league. I think he is capable of getting Everton to 5/6 every season. Maybe Dyche can kick in from there, maybe he won’t, but if we are looking for a manager capable of bringing champions league football, we’d be better off at this point than if we have another “transitional season” with no progress with another manager who views every club as a short term stepping stone.

For me loyalty and progress on a cv trumps a sexy foreigner with sky hype on his side but not done over one season at his last 4 clubs.

Things may turn out, but Silva seems to be a man that does not stick around

Zero ambition?

Who should we target to show that ambition? Ancelotti who ruled it out? Maybe Simeone, who also ruled it out?

If we got Marco Silva it would be a very good appointment and an ambitious move at that, given that nobody outside of our fanbase thinks he should take a 'step down' to us from Watford.

Ambitious appointment because some biffs like to wind fans up due to current league positions? Please.

Silva is a step down from Koeman in terms of stature (you can't dismiss the name, the clubs he's been at compared to Silva). He could be great. He could be mediocre. It just doesn't scream anything to go with the £200mill with spent (another flop attempt at ambition).

Basically since Moyes we've had Pep-lite (Martinez) and LVG-lite (Koeman). Silva maybe Poch-lite.

It just doesn't excite me.

You also have to think "are they looking short term?"

Last edited:
Ambitious appointment because some biffs like to wind fans up due to current league positions? Please.

Silva is a step down from Koeman in terms of stature (you can't dismiss the name, the clubs he's been at compared to Silva). He could be great. He could be mediocre. It just doesn't scream anything to go with the £200mill with spent (another flop attempt at ambition).

Basically since Moyes we've had Pep-lite (Martinez) and LVG-lite (Koeman). Silva maybe Poch-lite.

It just doesn't excite me.

You also have to think "are they looking short term?"
Until a couple of seasons ago Poch was of a similar standing to what Silva is now.
If he’d have went to another big club from Southampton, he would probably be too big a name for Spurs to attract.

I’m in no way saying he will turn out to be as good as Poch btw. As it’s impossoble to know how any appointment, even with the most experienced managers will turn out.

Unless it gets done today and there is no indication of such, it won't be done in the latter part of the week if at all.
Silva will have to handle PR carefully and won't leave towards the weekend on the eve of a game.
So it will drag into next week. My thoughts are if we hear nothing by this time next week then Silva isn't coming here.
It's almost December and we need clarity soon; if that's Unsworth then that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back