Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing I am concerned about with this situation, is that while Unsworth is currently looking likely to be given the job by process of being the man in situ alone, just over a week ago he was described as a "stand in" on the clubs website. With most clubs this wouldn't mean a lot, but with Everton who seem to have an approach to communication with it's fanbase reminiscent of the Pravda this is a very telling statement.

A week or so later and suddenly it's back to business as normal with "Unsworth is the manager lads, we already told you". It's not fair on any level. Particularly on Unsworth who is being given very little chance with the players as a result of this.

We have already seen 2 senior players openly challenging him on the training pitch with their attitude, and other players intimating they would like a move away. This is a situation that Unsworth will have no previous understanding of and is winging it, with a side desperately short of confidence hovering by the relegation zone. Until a concrete decision on the manager is made, expect more messing about from players, and an already difficult job to be made 10 times harder for Unsworth because of the lack of clarity above him.

Life is being made harder for Unsworth because in short, those above him lack the bravery to make a decision. Either appoint Unsworth, or make it explicit his is a caretaker until you do. Keeping the guy hanging like this is not on.

I think you are right to say "another layer of bureaucracy". I understand people's anger at Walsh but there are bits of it I don't get. I was listening to EBM and Roger was saying how we all thought Walsh would come to the club and revatalise it top to bottom and put structures join place etc. I have no idea what could have given anyone this idea, looking at Walsh's background, previous roles and how he embarked on this job very early on. He is not a DOF, certainly not in the sense of what people are looking for him to be.

It's not all his fault, there is meddling at every level. Moshiri is seemingly poking his nose in on an as and when basis, either throwing out links to Koulibaly or Witsel last summer Costa/Cavani this summer or now dropping Simeone in via Jim White. You then have Elstone and Kenwright of the "old guard"who both in their own way operate as DOF types, closing negotiations and penny pinching over fees. Last summer you also had a headstrong manager who had 2 players in mind (Klaasen & Sigurdsson) he wouldn't budge on in areas of the pitch we already had cover (much like you said re Schneiderlin). It is not unreasonable to say Walsh had very little chance, with all that going on of making a success of being a DOF.

That being said, it doesn't say a lot for the guy that he is melting into the background, accepting the status quo and seemingly backing Allardyce. After his first summer any DOF worth is salt would have marched into Moshiri's office and demanded full control, probably with Elstone gone altogether. We got away with that debacle of not adding anyone on deadline day. The fact he's allowed it to go on for a second summer, and not really made any play to try and rectify the situation says an awful lot. If we employed Zorc from Dortmund (A proper DOF) he would not accept the status quo, and he likely go the way of Trevor Birch all those years ago.

I suppose thats why the book ultimately stops with Moshiri. He's agreed to things he should never have agreed too re the old guard and in truth he's probably gone over and above what he contractually had too in putting Elstone onto the board. It teaches everyone, don't rock the boat, blend into the surrounding and enjoy a cushy little job. I have no problems with statements about Simeone but real ambition would be sorting out the board and getting people onto it who can deliver.

As for Walsh, for me he's not a director of football, but I'd happily keep him on as head scout. In amongst the mess of the last 18 months, the few positive things that have emerged have largely been of his doing (signings such as Gueye, Lookman, Vlasic and the attempted signing of Demurai Gray).

Remember the DoF we supposedly wanted badly but he didn't want to leave Sevilla etc, same bloke took over Roma last April as DoF, this is what he said shortly after arriving

Roma “are very clear” on their choice of Coach. “He conveys the club’s values and is a winner,” said sporting director Monchi, hinting at Eusebio Di Francesco.

“We’re still working on it, though we’ve come a long way. Our priority was for Luciano to stay, but obviously we were working on alternatives at the same time in case this happened,” Monchi told Roma TV.

“We are very clear on the candidate we want to lead the team next season and that’s what we’re working on. Fundamentally, we want a coach who has clear ideas, has a hard-work ethic, is able to buy into the club philosophy, conveys the club’s values and is a winner. I think those characteristics sum up the Coach we want to take us forward.

“As I said, one of the things I was excited about when I joined Roma was the chance to work with Luciano. Sadly that’s not been possible. As I said in his farewell press conference, my perception of Luciano is even better now that it was before I arrived here. I have a better idea because I’ve seen him work.

“I hope our paths cross again in the future. I wish him all the luck in the world, because I think he deserves that.

“My message to the Roma fans is to have confidence in the project, to have confidence that the road ahead is going to be an exciting one. As I said at my unveiling, I didn’t leave Sevilla for nothing. I’m here because I want to win. I want to achieve big things at a club that in my opinion deserves it. That’s the message to the fans.

"We want to achieve what the Roma fans dream of. That would be the greatest reward for our work.”

Spalletti did secure second place, which means automatic Champions League qualification.

“First of all, I think it’s a reward for a job well done. Roma have broken records in terms of goals scored and points, coming second with their highest-ever points tally. I think there’s satisfaction at a job well done. I think it’s very important for the future. The AS Roma brand needs to be associated with the Champions League.

“As for the project we want to build in the future, it’s fundamental that we have the chance to play in the Champions League. It’s a source of huge satisfaction and happiness and allows us to start laying the foundations for the future.

“It’s another string to your bow when it comes to convincing players, but in any case the AS Roma brand is already a strong one. It helps but it’s not the be all and end all. The project we have in mind is ambitious and exciting and it’s already moving forwards, so that doesn’t change too much.

“There is an economic aspect involved. That said, I think the real value lies in the brand, the prestige and the quality of image it enables you to project as a club, rather than the purely economic value.

“Elite players want to play in the best competition in the world and that is the Champions League, so playing in it makes Roma an even more attractive proposition.”

So basically Monchi was/IS the voice of the club when speaking about appointing a new manager etc, because simply - he is actually a good dof - not someone with the job title and a scouting portfolio. Just how much more professional does that make Roma seem in comparison to us for example.

we basically hired a bloke who was the equivalent of a brilliant school physics teacher and then gave him a job as a project co-ordinator for NASA.

Meanwhile Roma have won 9 of 11 in the league, are effectively topping their CL group which includes Chelsea and Athletico. Moshiri wanted a DOF - and apparently that season Monchi wasn't available, so he hired walsh instead dof delaying 10 months and getting Monchi for example, which is exactly what Roma decided to do.

WHY on earth you settle for 2nd/3rd/4th best in such a position - which at the time was a choice to appoint a DOF rather than a necessity is absolutely stupid as 'f'

It’s a bit nuts now isn’t it?

I don’t know if I’m being impatient or what, but we need a manager in place surely?!
The reports state a board split on a verdict for a new manager - perhaps if we panic now fetch the wrong guy in is a concern our position is below average, and squad wise we are wanting - perhaps the board think Unsworth can buy us time to get the right successor to Koeman - I doubt Unsworth will be appointed full time but get maybe another 2-3 games ?

The reports state a board split on a verdict for a new manager - perhaps if we panic now fetch the wrong guy in is a concern our position is below average, and squad wise we are wanting - perhaps the board think Unsworth can buy us time to get the right successor to Koeman - I doubt Unsworth will be appointed full time but get maybe another 2-3 games ?

If they think Unsworth can buy us time they should say so.

It’s the lack of clarity which driving my patience the wrong way mate

This is a really important point. I don't know if you listened to the last EBM, but they were asked "who will decide Everton's next manager". The 3 of them each gave different answers. I am not having a go at them, they all presented their case very well. It was the perfect illustration of what is wrong currently at board level, in that there is no accountability or transparency as to how decisions are being reached. To quote Nick Clegg we are left with continual "grubby little compromise(s)".

I suspect nobody is currently willing to sign off on any of the candidates that at present they could attract, largely because they re underwhelming. Without doubt Kenwright compromised on Koeman, but thats a lot easier than some of the other names being thrown about.

You can't expect a football club or any business to be successful on this basis or not as successful as it could be. I have no idea why Moshiri is keeping the status quo as it is. Forget going after Simeone, or even forget the potential multi-billions who could invest in Everton, his most urgent task has to be to get his own people on the board and begin to get some transparency of decisions.

For me anyway, the decision could have been made so much easier by Simply removing Walsh at the same time Koeman was fired, choice of 3 becomes choice of two men, it removes the absolute horror show which has been Allardyce and his fat 'f'ing head touting himself and being touted by the media - because no doubt about it that has been leaked from the club - probably through Walsh - and ultimately it WILL damage our chances at better candidates, as you're being lumped into the same category of Allardyce etc.

Ultimately he failed so badly this summer in recruitment, and he's either directly responsible IF he is acting as a proper DOF - for it all, or if he's just a figurehead then get rid and call a scout a scout rather than trying to make out we are progressive in our structure

For me anyway, the decision could have been made so much easier by Simply removing Walsh at the same time Koeman was fired, choice of 3 becomes choice of two men, it removes the absolute horror show which has been Allardyce and his fat 'f'ing head touting himself and being touted by the media - because no doubt about it that has been leaked from the club - probably through Walsh - and ultimately it WILL damage our chances at better candidates, as you're being lumped into the same category of Allardyce etc.

Ultimately he failed so badly this summer in recruitment, and he's either directly responsible IF he is acting as a proper DOF - for it all, or if he's just a figurehead then get rid and call a scout a scout rather than trying to make out we are progressive in our structure

I agree in part. I'm not sure why he is being asked what his opinion is though. That could also have reduced 3 to 2. The way he currently works it would have little impact on his work who the manager is. He doesn't dictate transfer policy, doesn't dictate budgets, doesn't take a lead on what players a manager should have, doesn't negotiate or lose deals etc.

I'd keep Walsh on, but in an explicitly recruitment/scouting role. We need someone working above him, my ideal would be Zorc from Dortmund. I'd keep him o, because if nothing else he seems to be very astute in his role as a scout.

No announcement since the Watford game nearly a week ago now.

How are the players supposed to be motivated by their boss, when they do not even know who their boss is going to be?

If it isn't Unsworth, they aren't going to listen to what he has to say, their ego's will turn towards knowing he isn't even going to be their manager, so why are they going to listen to him.

Unless they come out with something completely leftfield and shock us all, this is the usual board incompetence I thought we had seen the last of at Everton, nothing really has changed at all on that front so far IMO.

No announcement since the Watford game nearly a week ago now.

How are the players supposed to be motivated by their boss, when they do not even know who their boss is going to be?

If it isn't Unsworth, they aren't going to listen to what he has to say, their ego's will turn towards knowing he isn't even going to be their manager, so why are they going to listen to him.

Unless they come out with something completely leftfield and shock us all, this is the usual board incompetence I thought we had seen the last of at Everton, nothing really has changed at all on that front so far IMO.

mirrallas and snides have already downed tools.

who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back