Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All he had to say was 'additional transfer funds for Roberto to spend' and that would have been it.

He could even have said great football 'introduced to us by Roberto'.

Small additions to the text... but nothing.

Actually feel sorry for him to be honest.

Half seven tomorrow night. This all ends.

Eddie Howe...Karanka...Benitez...Pereira....honest to God, it's comic gold.

*bookmarks thread*

Is it?

Did he not get Swansea promoted from League One and set them on their way to the Prem playing a slick and stylish brand have highly-lauded football?

Did he not keep Wigan up under significant budget restraints compared to the teams around them for three years playing an ambitious style that, while not always proving fruitful, eventually won them the FA Cup which they'll probably never win again in most of our lifetimes... yes they got relegated but the above alone more than balances that out.

Did he not, after 11 years under one manager that in the end had stagnated slightly, come in an bring the 'school of science' back to Everton introducing an exciting brand of football, buying and loaning exciting and quality players as well as making youth an integral part of our team while all the while getting a records point total for us in the PL era which this season could possibly be enough to win the title...

In his second season, despite being bogged down domestically, did he not - in his first season ever in Europe as a manager or player - get us further than any other British team and hammer the likes of Wolfsburg and Lille that caused English teams so much trouble both in the past and this season...

He has his faults, definitely, but he is far from 'kak'
No. No it doesn't. It really, really, really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really doesn't.

Can we add Nigel Pearson to the list? I want him. He's the true architect of Leicester's success this year. Ranieri's just riding on his coat tails.

I guess you're not trying to derail the thread then, considering you, yourself haven't come up with a "hypothetical replacement" despite numerous points.

Half seven tomorrow night. This all ends.

Eddie Howe...Karanka...Benitez...Pereira....honest to God, it's comic gold.

*bookmarks thread*

You've forgotten Mourinho and another manager, subject of a recent Daily Mail article, name escapes me

It's been embargoed by the club over here Finners.

It's on *taps nose with all 10 fingers

Mourinho-FC-Porto-v-Chelsea.jpg
Forget him mate, this bloke is putting his hat in the ring...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hopes-old-club-step-never-managed-FA-Cup.html

EXCLUSIVE: David Moyes reveals his delight at Everton's new investment and hopes his old club can take the step they never managed under him in the FA Cup
  • David Moyes is delighted with Everton's new investor Farhad Moshiri
  • He regrets not having the finances to kick on at Goodison Park
  • Hopes club can now aid development of John Stones and Ross Barkley
  • Believes club will be in a better place to keep hold of youngsters
  • Reveals biggest regret was FA Cup semi-final defeat by Liverpool in 2012
By MATT LAWTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

The pursuit of players can be a tricky old business for a football manager, particularly when you are at a club like Everton and the competition often has rather more money to spend.

David Moyes would go to huge efforts to lure a footballer to Goodison Park during his long and successful tenure on Merseyside.

He once drove from Preston to London to meet Robbie Keane, arriving at the striker’s house at 3am before driving home again two hours later. And to no avail at is turned out. The clubs, the other one being Tottenham, were unable to agree terms.

2E997E6E00000578-0-image-a-1_1457718621397.jpg

+7
David Moyes spent 11 years in charge of Everton before leaving to take charge of Manchester United in 2013

Michael Owen was another target, and they once hooked up for just a few hours in Florida. On that occasion it was Owen who made the effort.

‘I was out there on holiday,’ recalls Moyes. ‘Michael flew in, we played golf, had dinner and he went straight back to England.’ Alas he also went to Manchester United.

Miroslav Klose very nearly became an Everton player, as did Demba Ba. ‘There was one day when I flew to Paris to see Demba Ba and then planned to travel on to Germany to see Klose,’ he says.

‘He had been playing for Germany the night before but broke his wrist and the meeting was cancelled. His wife had actually come over to look around the training ground.’

But John Stones was signed almost by accident; only recruiting a young defender sure to play a central role in Saturday's FA Cup tie at Goodison after Moyes had exhausted every option in what proved a fruitless search for a new forward in January 2013.

‘We had a good team but we really needed a centre forward; a bit more quality up front,’ says Moyes.

106987D900000514-0-image-a-3_1457718738681.jpg

+7
Moyes brought John Stones to Goodison Park in January 2013 after a fruitless search for a new forward

30DA1A1A00000578-0-image-a-8_1457718881577.jpg

+7
Moyes is encouraged by Ross Barkley's improvement this season after a disappointing campaign last year

‘But we didn’t have the finances to do it. I seem to remember we looked at Alvaro Negredo but we couldn’t get a deal done.’

With his efforts proving unsuccessful Moyes returned to the idea of signing this young centre half from Barnsley. His scouts had recommended him and both Moyes and his assistant, Jimmy Lumsden, had been to watch him play. They liked what they saw, and at around £3million he was coming in under budget.

MOYES' RECORD AT EVERTON
GAMES - 518

WON - 218

DREW - 139

LOST - 161

WIN PERCENTAGE - 42

‘He wasn’t going to be too expensive but he was really good on the ball,’ says Moyes. ‘He was versatile. I think he could even play as a central midfield player, which might be something England should consider at some point.

‘I only had John for the few months before I left Everton but he was a great boy. Bright, alert, a bit of a glint in his eye. I remember the fitness coach telling me he’d gone to him and said he would do whatever he told him if it meant it would make him a better player. Very impressive.’

It is among a number of reasons why some of the most powerful clubs in Europe are looking to recruit 21-year-old Stones. Indeed why Chelsea – the side he meets on Saturday – tried to sign him last summer.

3218D25300000578-0-image-m-9_1457719172279.jpg

+7
Moyes hopes the arrival of new billionaire owner Farhad Moshiri will help Everton hold on to key young players

These, Moyes knows only too well, are the challenges that often face Everton. But he hopes the arrival of a new billionaire owner in Farhad Moshiri will at least give them a fighting chance of holding onto Stones, Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku.

Chelsea have been very keen to capture Stones but don’t be surprised if Manchester City come in with a big offer this summer.

‘In my opinion it was good for the development of John and Ross that they have stayed at Everton last summer,’ says Moyes. ‘I think Ross is having a much better season than he did last year. He’s playing well. And I think John is as good a footballing centre-half as we have seen in this country for a very long time.

‘It’s tough for young centre-halves at the highest level now. It’s maybe harder for a young centre-half than it is for a young goalkeeper. It used to be that the main responsibility of a centre-half was simply to head it, kick it and tackle. Now it’s also to start the play, and also to contend with forwards of a different style and quality; some of the best players we have ever seen.

‘Sometimes it’s difficult to keep players. We fought to keep Wayne Rooney. I fought tooth and nail to keep Joleon Lescott. We also lost Mikel Arteta and Jack Rodwell.

‘But ultimately these players will want to play at the top level, so I imagine Everton will be desperate to qualify for Europe and want to get to cup finals too. I’d just hope Everton, with the takeover, are now in a stronger position to fight for their players, and work really hard to keep them.’

Moyes is delighted for his old club when it comes to Moshiri. ‘I’m really pleased for Bill Kenwright,’ he says. ‘It’s been a long search for the right investor. We got close on a few occasions during my time there, but it looks like the new owner will be good for the club.

05274CE5000005DC-0-image-a-5_1457718839929.jpg

+7
Moyes looks on after the final whistle after Everton lost the 2009 FA Cup final against Chelsea

‘Development is key. I was someone who always hoped Goodison could be developed and rebuilt. The atmosphere is sensational there and you don’t want to lose that. What Goodison lacked was things like enough corporate boxes to generate revenue.

‘If Everton are going to move to the next level it’s in those areas that they need to invest, because Everton should be a club that always challenges the top teams. If you look at them now they have some outstanding players.’

They were challenging a top team when they met Chelsea in the 2009 FA Cup final; exactly the kind of game that makes Moyes so keen to return to management after his departure from Real Sociedad earlier this season.

‘It was a blow losing Mikel Arteta and Phil Jagielka for that game,’ Moyes recalls of that Wembley clash. ‘Mikel was probably in his prime at that moment. A really influential player. And Jags was maturing into a top centre half. So they were a real miss for us.

1298031D000005DC-0-image-a-6_1457718851660.jpg

+7
Moyes admits that the FA Cup semi-final defeat by Liverpool in 2012 is among his greatest disappointments

1298F1B9000005DC-0-image-a-7_1457718866650.jpg

+7
Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll celebrate after Liverpool beat Everton 2-1 in the 2012 FA Cup semi-final

‘Chelsea had an abundance of top players, of course. Frank Lampard was in his pomp, as were John Terry and Ashley Cole.

‘We scored early through Louis Saha but they were so strong down the left hand side, with Florent Malouda and Ashley Cole. They were so good we just couldn’t cope. And they had Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka up front.

‘That was an excellent Chelsea team and the best team won on the day. But we were never out of the game. We were always close. And it was a big thing to get to the FA Cup final, because Everton are a club that need to be looking to get to that level.’

Moyes actually regards the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Liverpool as one of his greatest disappointments. ‘That was tough because it was a chance to get to a final,’ he says.

‘I’ve always treated every Cup game like a game you have to win. I would always rather be a good league team than a good cup team, because if you finish well in the league it means you have done well all season.

'But the FA Cup is important, particularly when you think how difficult it now is to win the league.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-step-never-managed-FA-Cup.html#ixzz42dCKQ9zt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back