Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great performance tonight and most of them will melt and things look better again. But crowd has huge power in this...if it turns against the manager it wont be pretty...losing tonight would probs mean fans will lose hope on Martinez another and more important thing is that will players still trust him. Players will seal his destiny.

Agreed mate...the players do trust him...and want to succeed...so many of these lads are confidence players...the crowd has an impact on them...hoping the crowd is ready to support them.

I'm sorry, but people who don't go the match, overpay, freeze their backsides off, and watch us continually lose, even when we play well, due to the same glaring deficiencies in our play, have zero right to criticise the crowd. Against West Brom the fans were desperate to be positive although it still wasn't as good as the media tried to make out (it was not a bearpit), we still lost.
NO Evertonian wants us to lose, they're just just a bit peed off with Martinez for very obvious reasons.
There's a big difference in the investment of paying and travelling the match compared to switching on/off a stream. Yeah I'm privileged to go the match but the cost of taking me and my father makes me think again. I've lived in NZ, I've done the get up 5am every game. Nothing compares to being at the ground when we win, but also it's far worse watching what's happened 7 times this year and having to trudge home, rather than switch off the computer and go a make yourself a cuppa.
In short: don't give the match going Evertonians a hard time, we've earned the right to be pissy-knickered.

It's quite clear that media (I mean all medias) have turned their backs on Martinez.
I seriously think that if we lose tonight board will be adressing the manager situation after the season ends.

If we would win tonight the atmosphere would instantly change.
At least we would be able to spot the knee-jerkers.

Anyone who changes their mind on the basis of ONE game is displaying an alarming refusal to acknowledge long term trends. We all know Martinez is not going to be sacked while there are still games left to play this season - therefore would it not be sensible to judge him at the end of the season? I mean, personally, right now, I think he's not the right guy. However, there are enough games left for him to put a run together that could see us climb the table to a less embarrassing position and win the FA cup.... do I think he's capable of it? No. Will I revise my opinion of him if he DOES win the FA cup AND move us up the table to around 8th? Yes.

Over to you Roberto. Bear in mind that if you want to win the cup, you need to get to the final.

At least we would be able to spot the knee-jerkers.

Anyone who changes their mind on the basis of ONE game is displaying an alarming refusal to acknowledge long term trends. We all know Martinez is not going to be sacked while there are still games left to play this season - therefore would it not be sensible to judge him at the end of the season? I mean, personally, right now, I think he's not the right guy. However, there are enough games left for him to put a run together that could see us climb the table to a less embarrassing position and win the FA cup.... do I think he's capable of it? No. Will I revise my opinion of him if he DOES win the FA cup AND move us up the table to around 8th? Yes.

Over to you Roberto. Bear in mind that if you want to win the cup, you need to get to the final.

You know what tree we do have some common ground I agree with you on this one, I was honestly hoping our run could have started a lot earlier but it has been so frustrating of late.

I would find it difficult to change my opinion of him I was willing to give him this season to at least qualify for the Europa but he as an individual seems to be increasingly struggling with important decisions, selection,substitutions etc and I have now lost a lot of faith in him.

Who knows what the new owners plans may be for the him in the future.

You know what tree we do have some common ground I agree with you on this one, I was honestly hoping our run could have started a lot earlier but it has been so frustrating of late.

I would find it difficult to change my opinion of him I was willing to give him this season to at least qualify for the Europa but he as an individual seems to be increasingly struggling with important decisions, selection,substitutions etc and I have now lost a lot of faith in him.

Who knows what the new owners plans may be for the him in the future.
Fair points pal, fair points. It's amazing to think that there are still enough fixtures left for Martinez to turn things around, but it's true. The problem is that he's got nearly two seasons of rubbish results under his belt now, and not enough inspiring individual games in that time to suggest that there is an upward trend. He's got a mountain to climb if he wants to change the minds of those who think he's not up to the task - he needs the FA cup in the cabinet AND a late climb up the table.

He's made no secret of the fact he'd wanted Dowell in the full team set up. He had a terrible injury and that scuppered that. The thing is you cant throw loads in at the one time and you have to do this in games where there is a bit of breathing space - for example, the LC early rounds we saw youngsters used, but PL games are more exacting and they'll have to come through at a more even pace. Another thing to consider is RMs long stated view that players between 18-20 should be able to stay within the fold at the club AND get good experience. Obviously that would require a situation where PL 'B teams' could compete in lower divisions. Not something happening.

I just cant get my head around your view on Mourinho though: he's from the David Moyes endorsed King Herod school of football thought. He'll never play younger players if he can help it and he'll always go for the expensive, finished article. He'd look at Everton and say "yeah, that £100M will be ok for a couple of players and their wages and entourage, then I want some more." He's a complete non-starter for us.

Same thing she was saying about Dowell he was saying about Ledson mate, openly stating he would have brought him into the team if it wasn't for his England call up at the end of the other season.

Okay so he was giving young players their chances was he mate
2nd round game against Barnsley
Robles, Pennington, Stones, Jagielka, Oviedo, Besic, Cleverley, McGeady, , Naismith, Mirallas, Lukaku brought on Deulofeu, Barkley, McCarthy - Only young player he gave a chance to was Pennington and he was hauled off at half time - also coleman was injured kind of casting doubt if he'd have played any academy player if he was fit.

next round against Reading
Robles, Stones, Jagielka, Funes Mori, Lennon, Osman, Barkley, McCarthy, Deulofeu, Koné, Lukaku brought on Galloway and Barry - so like to explain where the youngster used in this game is mate?

Against Norwich
Robles, Browning, Stones, Funes Mori, Oviedo, Mirallas, Gibson, McCarthy, Osman, Kone, Lukaku, brought on Barkley, Naismith, Deulofeu - so Browning got a game at rb for this as the only young polayer really - again though Coleman was injured and have to wonder if Browning would ever have been near the first team starting otherwise

QF against Boro
Robles, Coleman, Stones, Funes Mori, Galloway, Cleverley, Barry, Deulofeu, Barkley, Osman, Lukaku, brought on Baines, Naismith and Mirallas.
So yet again absolutely no truth in him giving young untried players a shot

So their we have the first 4 rounds of the LC mate - you said we saw youngsters used etc, in the 4 games we saw Browning get a game and Pennington get a half and that is it, both at rb and both when Coleman was injured and we had the injury crisis at lb, so 44 starting positions over those 4 games and 12 potential substitute chances to see our Bobby show his commitment to bringing through young academy players, we got 62 minutes of Browning before he was subbed off and we got 45 minutes of Pennington before he was subbed off. Sorry if this destroys your myth regarding Martinez blooding our academy players.

players 18-20 should stay within the fold at the club and get good experience - is that a sneaky way of saying - shouldnt get any game time and should be loaned out repeatedly mate? Hows that any different to what Chelsea, City etc all do with their young players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back