Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Koeman hasn't been in management nearly as long as Pellegrini perhaps? Give Koeman a chance at a top club and maybe he could do better than Pellegrini has done. To say he's not as good as him because he's yet to be given a top job is ludicrous. As said, Moyes at United, Pochettino at Southampton- a smaller club. Who's the better manager? Just being at a bigger club doesn't mean you're a better manager.

If Koeman comes to us it will be club no.9 for him, a list that includes Ajax, Benfica, PSV and Valencia. Were they not top jobs?

Think you should check out Koemans career mate

Pellegrini in management since 1988- managed clubs like Real Madrid and a loaded Man City. Koeman- what top, top level club has he managed? Yes he's been in management for a while- has he been given a top job though? No.

I believe City would have won the league this year if they didnt announce peps arrival at a ridiculous time. I believe they wouldve also had a better champions league run if they gave Pellegrini some motivation to win (his job next season). when you let the world know the manager doesnt have a job 6 months early, its going to effect the whole team, not just the manager.

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but would we have the power to persuade Low to the epl?

United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.Sure they've all failed. Does that mean all their managers a rubbish?

Why is Koeman better than peligrini?

Yes, LVG just got sacked, Jose got sacked by Chelsea, Wenger is an utter joke and Liverpool? LOL

Whos to say whos better.

People have made a choice, you cant question peoples opinion, its their decision.

If Koeman comes to us it will be club no.9 for him, a list that includes Ajax, Benfica, PSV and Valencia. Were they not top jobs?

Perhaps Valencia- but is managing Ajax and PSV in the Eredvise really reflective of the Premier League? Likewise Benfica in Portugal? I'm not even arguing that Koeman is the better manager, but more to the point saying that to dismiss him on the basis he is at a smaller club than City is not exactly the right logic to assess capability.

Pellegrini in management since 1988- managed clubs like Real Madrid and a loaded Man City. Koeman- what top, top level club has he managed? Yes he's been in management for a while- has he been given a top job though? No.

He's been in management longer than you think.

He managed Valencia and Benfica - quite big jobs. Because he failed quite miserably at both of those teams- he wasn't deemed to be up to the standard of a massive club. Hence why he got the Soupampton job.

Now he has had two decent seasons at Southampton he thinks he is in line for the Arsenal job.

a couple of questions for you all.
1) when City announced Pep to take over i believe they were 2nd only a couple of points off the top. Did that announcement affect their league form toward the end of the season?
2) Had Pep not been available would City have still changed their manager this summer?

This is really the crux of the issue, particularly point one. Pellegrini's supporters are trying to argue that the announcement of Pep derailed the season. The reality is the season was already going off course at that point. They had squandered a huge early season lead/form. Maybe the Guardiola announcement accelerated this demise but in no way did it cause the demise. For me that has been caused but an over-reliance on key members of the squad he inherited who as they grew older grew more injury prone. The money he has spent has not rectified this problem.

The other point to bear in mind is, a good manager could have used the Guardiola appointment more effectively. The players were playing for their futures. The players need to try and win something for him etc. Good managers find a way of motivating players and using him leaving as an additional reason. He couldn't do this.

As regards the second point I see no way that Pellegrini would not have been sacked. United finished level on points with them and won 1 of the 3 major trophies and sacked LVG within a day of the season ending. Pellegrini would have been sacked make no question of that.

He's been in management longer than you think.

He managed Valencia and Benfica - quite big jobs. Because he failed quite miserably at both of those teams- he wasn't deemed to be up to the standard of a massive club. Hence why he got the Soupampton job.

Now he has had two decent seasons at Southampton he thinks he is in line for the Arsenal job.
y point exactly

9 clubs including Psv and Ajax.

PSV and Ajax aren't exactly Real Madrid or City. As I said, not arguing as to who is better- but simply referring back to your logic that because a manager is at a 'bigger' club then he is automatically more highly rated than one at a 'smaller' club.

United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.Sure they've all failed. Does that mean all their managers a rubbish?

Why is Koeman better than peligrini?

Koeman may not be better than Pellegrini but he is far more suited. He has sold his best players and not spent as much as he recouped at got a side to finish within 2 places of a manager who has spent hundreds of millions on a squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back