Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has managed 5 clubs in the past 7 years, including 6 weeks at Getafe. As they say, swerve.
He spent two and a half years at Valencia (more than the average in Spain), and got them two top-four finishes and the to the CL quarter-finals.

He had over a year at Benfica and won their version of the League Cup but they chose to get rid as he only finished 3rd in the league.

He then went to Atletico where he won the Europa League and got them to the Copa del Rey final - in a two-season spell when they had a squad that really - bar Forlan - wasn't exactly world class.

Then went to the middle east for three years.

Had that spell at Getafe and quite simply - was promised a job in the Prem. He told Getafe of this and they decided it was best he leave then so they could bed a new manager in.

Howe has masterminded as many away wins as Martinez this season, so chances are he'll be heading to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

He spent two and a half years at Valencia (more than the average in Spain), and got them two top-four finishes and the to the CL quarter-finals.

He had over a year at Benfica and won their version of the League Cup but they chose to get rid as he only finished 3rd in the league.

He then went to Atletico where he won the Europa League and got them to the Copa del Rey final - in a two-season spell when they had a squad that really - bar Forlan - wasn't exactly world class.

Then went to the middle east for three years.

Had that spell at Getafe and quite simply - was promised a job in the Prem. He told Getafe of this and they decided it was best he leave then so they could bed a new manager in.

All impressive but he could come in and sell Stones, Barkley and has a history of falling out with notable players and boards.

All impressive but he could come in and sell Stones, Barkley and has a history of falling out with notable players and boards.

Eh?

This would be the risk with any manager.

You were dead-set on Mourinho, but he was the one who sold Rom and has fallen out with high-profile players at every club he's been at... while simultaneously only ever operating on a budget when he was at Porto over 10 years ago...

Eh?

This would be the risk with any manager.

You were dead-set on Mourinho, but he was the one who sold Rom and has fallen out with high-profile players at every club he's been at... while simultaneously only ever operating on a budget when he was at Porto over 10 years ago...

Mourinho has complimented Stones, Lukaku has clearly stated he wanted to leave Chelsea and defended Mourinho, Mourinho has hinted he was interested in Barkley so there would not be that risk. You're having a laugh if you cannot see what I am saying about Flores. Yourself and others are also stating things that are not fact he won nothing at Valencia and he did not get Watford promoted, he joined them last summer.

Mourinho has complimented Stones, Lukaku has clearly stated he wanted to leave Chelsea and defended Mourinho, Mourinho has hinted he was interested in Barkley so there would not be that risk. You're having a laugh if you cannot see what I am saying about Flores. Yourself and others are also stating things that are not fact he won nothing at Valencia and he did not get Watford promoted, he joined them last summer.

I didn't say he got Watford promoted?

Apologies. He did not win things at Valencia but did have success there.

He did win a trophy (Europa League) with Atletico, and the Taca da Liga with Benfica, as well as getting them to the other cup final.

Why would it be any more of a risk for Flores to come in and sell Stones, Barkley or Lukaku than any other manager?

And let the Mourinho dream go. It's not happening.

Due to the lack of names we are coming up with, as much as I would not have him back for a second, I would not be surprised if Bill took his ginger chum back.

I would even consider taking Mark Hughes now, as he has a lot of prem experience and as a top player that he was would earn the respect of the players in turn.

And lets be honest here, in 2 seasons at Stoke he looks set to finish above Martinez in both seasons.

I didn't say he got Watford promoted?

Apologies. He did not win things at Valencia but did have success there.

He did win a trophy (Europa League) with Atletico, and the Taca da Liga with Benfica, as well as getting them to the other cup final.

Why would it be any more of a risk for Flores to come in and sell Stones, Barkley or Lukaku than any other manager?

And let the Mourinho dream go. It's not happening.

I let it go a few days ago lol. Currently I am dreaming of Klinsmann, Cocu and Kanchelskis. I know Kanchelskis is pure FM but I am a fantasist and it would be nice to have a former player managing us.

Flores would be a risk because of the way he joins clubs and leaves temperamentally (a word?) for 'personal reasons'.

Cannot believe you cannot see this. You are dreaming yourself if you cannot see he could come in and ruin previous good work.

Also, the taca de liga is a mickey mouse cup competition that has not even been around for 10 years. Benfica have now won it 6 times so him winning that is hardly a fantastic achievment.

Qualifying for the Champions League with Valencia was hardly a big deal everything was already in place they were a big club.

His only achievement is winning the Europa League beating Fulham in the final, you are acting like he has done what Mourinho has in football.

Last edited:
If we hire a nextmen like Howe I think I'm going to cry...

Can see this dragging on and on and brown shoes spending all the transfer money before getting the boot 10 games into the next season when we haven't won a game.

If we hire a nextmen like Howe I think I'm going to cry...

Can see this dragging on and on and brown shoes spending all the transfer money before getting the boot 10 games into the next season when we haven't won a game.

This is the worry for me, no point giving him till Christmas, why waste the first half of the season, if there is enough doubt then get shut once this season is over.

If we can't trust him long term, and we should know by now we can't, then the game is up.

I appreciate that Cocu and Simeone look good in suits as does Flores (we all have thought it!) but I think Klinsmann is the man.

Managed Bayern with a great record for his first job, managed in a World Cup more than once, achieved a lot with the USA and set Germany and Bayern on the path to future glories with his emphasis on youth and modern ideas. Let's make him an Evertonian Moshiri? He has played in the Premier League and I don't think he would be averse to managing a club with a billionaire owner with the players we have currently.

Could be a brilliant appointment. People are asking for a winner here is one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jürgen_Klinsmann

Look at his managerial statistics at the bottom of the section 'career statistics'. Rivals anybody.

Last edited:
If Roberto has 3 years remaining & he is paid £3million a year do we have to pay his whole contract up or are there usually set pre-agreed severance packages at various points within a contract.

I would guess Flores would be keen to join however Watford would surely want £5million then if you add in Martinez possibly receiving £9million. We're talking a lot of money. Hopefully moshiri will have to control & will to spend the money as the chances of getting a manger for free aren't great.

I want a top manager too, but it's laughable how many people are turning their noses up at Howe in disgust even though he's got that Bournemouth side on the same points as us with the horrendous injuries they've had.

The fact he's within even 10 points of us should involve vast praise for him and dire criticism of our man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back