Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But what have we been told in this thread? We're all too demanding- expecting to challenge for European places, but also in the same breath we have to be 'Everton class' as our history dictates it.

Thing is there is no such thing as a sense of entitlement to a football fan, you want your team to do as well as possible, no fan should ever be happy with anything other than first. OK you have to realistic and admit that wont happen for a lot of clubs, but once you start being happy about winning a few cup games but still walking away at the end of the season with nothing, you may as well walk away from the sport altogether

Would you not say the team he has should be better than they currently are?

At the moment yes. They're still in the Champions League though, and in the league they were on the heels of Leicester (3 points off them I think) until Manchester City publicly humiliated him with the whole Guardiola thing. They've tanked since then.

He had Malaga seconds away from a CL semi final, and I'm pretty sure his Malaga & Villarreal sides were solid defensively so I don't buy that shout about him being poor defensively. A better manager than Martinez that's for sure. I'd welcome him.

When people said they would welcome change as long as the manager was a significant upgrade over Martinez, I thought we were talking Mourinho, Simeone, Emery, Bielsa, De Boer, or someone of that caliber. Not Manuel Pellegrini- who hasnt made one decent signing as a City manager.

When people said they would welcome change as long as the manager was a significant upgrade over Martinez, I thought we were talking Mourinho, Simeone, Emery, Bielsa, De Boer, or someone of that caliber. Not Manuel Pellegrini- who hasnt made one decent signing as a City manager.

Dunno how much say does he really have on transfers at City? - genuine question actually as they have a DoF don't they?

His record at Malaga and Villareal was pretty decent in bringing players in has to be said.

As for his time at Real - yeah they signed some amazing players - but well that's real and the managers definitiley don't have anything to do with the players they but their.

Overall a mixed bag, on his record alone - he's a serious improvement over Martinez, vast European experience, mangaged at the very top level etc, on the other hand - seems every bit at tactially inflexible and makes similar baffling decisions on subs etc as Martinez does, so who knows

The one big positive - IF (which i doubt) there is any truth that we have sounded him out - then it would show a level of ambition we have otherwise lacked as a club, aiming for a very high profile manager who been manager who like or dislike him is in a completely different 'catagory' of manager to our current one

If it is true it would be a massive step up on what we have. A premier league winner. Vast experience. If he got the summer to build the squad he could be the man to take us to the next level

Pellegrini not for me, did a good job at villarreal and malaga, but with probably the best squad of players in the prem might not get them into the top four .His signings if thats how city operate and not the sporting directors choice have been very poor

Pellegrini not for me, did a good job at villarreal and malaga, but with probably the best squad of players in the prem might not get them into the top four .His signings if thats how city operate and not the sporting directors choice have been very poor

Think at City it's been a lot more complex than what it appears on the service though, Soriano as the chief exec and Begiristain as the Sporting Director since 2012 when they hoped to get Guardiola, having failed they went with Pelligrini instead, but have to wodner how many of these transfers they have brought in over the time he has been in charge have been solely his wants and not preparing the squd for the eventual arrival of Guardiola - my guess is a lot of those players was city with one eye on providing players that suited Guardiola and his sytem better than they suited Pelligrini and his system

City looked nailed on for top 4 this season and with a good shot on the title still until that announcement, since then they have gone off the cliff - but that can't be blamed on the manager - City just miscalculated the effect it would have on the players - half of whom look like they relaise that this season is their last so basically the team looks compeltely fractured.

Think overall too many of us - myself included are just judging Pelligrini on how he has done at City and ignoring everything else in his career, at Villareal and Malaga he built a very attacking team that knew how to defend as well, and our current statis is a lot closer to those two teams than it is to say a City/Madrid, think IF we did go for him and get him here then it could be a good fit for both as well

Just seen that he has given an interview stating he wants to stay in the premier league and that should a club become available that didn't have european football next season then it wouldn't put him off, as long as the club had a project as thats what he wants. Sounds interesting the timing of that and that he mayb be up for managing a club again where he has more of a say in what happens (more like Malaga/Villareal)

Think at City it's been a lot more complex than what it appears on the service though, Soriano as the chief exec and Begiristain as the Sporting Director since 2012 when they hoped to get Guardiola, having failed they went with Pelligrini instead, but have to wodner how many of these transfers they have brought in over the time he has been in charge have been solely his wants and not preparing the squd for the eventual arrival of Guardiola - my guess is a lot of those players was city with one eye on providing players that suited Guardiola and his sytem better than they suited Pelligrini and his system

City looked nailed on for top 4 this season and with a good shot on the title still until that announcement, since then they have gone off the cliff - but that can't be blamed on the manager - City just miscalculated the effect it would have on the players - half of whom look like they relaise that this season is their last so basically the team looks compeltely fractured.

Think overall too many of us - myself included are just judging Pelligrini on how he has done at City and ignoring everything else in his career, at Villareal and Malaga he built a very attacking team that knew how to defend as well, and our current statis is a lot closer to those two teams than it is to say a City/Madrid, think IF we did go for him and get him here then it could be a good fit for both as well

Just seen that he has given an interview stating he wants to stay in the premier league and that should a club become available that didn't have european football next season then it wouldn't put him off, as long as the club had a project as thats what he wants. Sounds interesting the timing of that and that he mayb be up for managing a club again where he has more of a say in what happens (more like Malaga/Villareal)
Pelligrini has proved his credentials with the job he has done at Villarreal (outstanding) to be chosen to manage real shows you that they rated him highly and did a sterling job at Malaga. Think he has handled himself impeccably (important when managing our club) at city in difficult circumstances (ongoing pep saga) and since the pep announcement the team looks like they can't be bothered. I for one would be happy with his appointment and judging by the comments in that interview it does sound like he would be very interested in us.

Pelligrini has proved his credentials with the job he has done at Villarreal (outstanding) to be chosen to manage real shows you that they rated him highly and did a sterling job at Malaga. Think he has handled himself impeccably (important when managing our club) at city in difficult circumstances (ongoing pep saga) and since the pep announcement the team looks like they can't be bothered. I for one would be happy with his appointment and judging by the comments in that interview it does sound like he would be very interested in us.

Too old. Short term thinking that mate. He'll be dead in a few years :p

Would love Pelligrini as that for me would be an exciting appointment. If he wants to stay in Prem and has been said would like a project then we should do what it requires to get him. He's been good wherever he's managed. Badly treated at both Real and City.

Have I misread, or are you suggesting that some of the trailer trash like Mangala, Otamendi, Di Michelis, Sterling and Bony were/are players proposed by or for the impending arrival of Guardiola?

If you were.....then WOW!
If you weren't .....then apologies in advance.

Pelligrini isnt for me ,I would prefare a younger man with more fire in his belly.Even when they won the title it took Chelsea to win at Anfield to put it back in there court.
Simone for me would be first choice,people will say we wont get him but " if you dont ask you dont get"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back