Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's irrelevant. You don't believe that Rafael could've ended up at Doncaster Rovers on the basis of his wife living here and speaking English I presume?

The point is that the Premier League is a big draw. Enough of a draw for a recent former Real Madrid manager to spend a season in the Championship in the hope of returning to it. Combine the pull of the Premier League with the promise of lavish spending power over the next few seasons and Simeone turning up at Everton isn't that outlandish.

Just very unrealistic though.

So many contradictions going on!

Moyes has been spoken to and interviewed ({Paul Joyce) / hasn't and isn't an option ( @The Esk )

Mancini was interviewed yet is supposed to be in the USA.

Emery has been interviewed / again has not.

Koeman is committed to Saints and is signing a new contract / is not.

It's all a bit crazy out there!

The teams you mention Newcastle and Villa are not even Premier League clubs no more.

At least compare us to clubs in the same league as us

OK, Leicester have more chance of getting Simeone to joining them at this moment in time.

I mean, if Mark Hughes was to leave Stoke and we saw them talking about Simeone join what would you do?

Inter are very keen on Simeone. If they ask him he might be tempted as an ex-player and because they are a big club in a winnable league. That would make Mancini available and I actually think his crockery throwing, foaming at the mouth screaming at players combined with his knowledge of the PL makes him a good option for us.

Inter are very keen on Simeone. If they ask him he might be tempted as an ex-player and because they are a big club in a winnable league. That would make Mancini available and I actually think his crockery throwing, foaming at the mouth screaming at players combined with his knowledge of the PL makes him a good option for us.

He has always said he wants to manage Inter, but that might have changed now that we are available. Even though he doesn't speak the language he has always loved us since Andy Gray scored in the 84 FA cup final against Watford.

When the club started the process of looking for a new manager I expect they contacted the agents of a large number of managers to see if they had a interest.If the response was negative then they were taken from the list. From the positive responses I would expect that another preferred list of candidates was put together and in again in order of preference and interviews have been carried out with some or all of those and from those interviews and managers history it has emerged who the club wants to take on the job.

I would expect that the initial trawl might cover managers like Mourinho and Simeone and maybe other high profile managers as well. Just because a manager doesn't immediately dismiss the possibility of joining Everton it doesn't mean that Everton are first choice or that the manager has a real interest.
The question that all managers have to ask themselves is if they have taken their current club as far as it can go.
Then, does the new opportunity give a chance to go further still.
So, has Emery peaked at Sevilla, has Simeone peaked at Atletico.
If they feel they have gone as far as they can, then they start to look at new opportunities. Everton may be instantly dismissed by them, but the huge amounts of money that would be available to all Premiership clubs allied to the development plans of Moshiri(whatever they may be) means that no manager in the world apart from those already at the super clubs or super rich clubs can dismiss Everton easily.

Thats a great post. The only thing I'd add here is we (and that's all of us fans, players and prospective managers) are a little in the dark about what Moshiri has planned.

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic however he could have plans and ambitions that go beyond what we deem possible. At present we are waiting to see what his first moves are this transfer window. In that context it will become clearer as to the port of club we will be and the sort of managers we will look to get.

For managers looking on an initial polite "talk to me at the end of the season" hand off may become more interested if they hear about further information they are given.

Where we are at currently I would suggest is that those who have expressed an interest in the job are not those who Moshiri is particularly keen on. Moyes, De Boer & Pellegrini. Koeman has brushed us aside while Emery & Simeone have only just finished their season. If the club want to get Emery/Simeone then unfortunately it does mean having to wait extra time. Is that a worthwhile risk? Time will tell but it a risk none the less. I can't help but be impressed with Moshiri though that he is willing to gamble on getting Emery/Simeone even if it means jeopardising De Boer/Pellegrini. It shows an awful lot of confidence in himself and what he's offering and makes me optimistic.

The only thing he's done so far that I'd disagree with is his analysis of De Boer. I rate him very highly and thinks he's a great fit whereas I think Moshiri views him in the back up category. It's hardly a huge mistake, just a difference of opinion.

The one thing I liked from (I think it was the Esk but may have been an article in the Mirror) was that Moshiri wants a manager who will have us in the top 4 next season. It is a very big statement of intent especially alongside what I have mentioned above in the confidence he has. Thats why I am not worried so much, how confidence is transmitted onto me.

Whoever is the manager next won't worry me too much. It's clear he expects top 4 and will back the manager accordingly (I am very excited to see how! I suspect more investment will come as will a new ground). If the next manager doesn't get that I would expect him to be moved on quite quickly. I genuinely believe that within a short space of time, we will be seriously competing for the Mourinho's/Simeone's of this world. That is where Moshiri wants to be and it may take him a bit longer than he initial wants but I'd give it a couple of years.

As for Moyes even if he came back in (which he won't) he will not be allowed to rest on his laurels as he did before. I'm not saying I want him back but you can see the club being driven forward.

OK, Leicester have more chance of getting Simeone to joining them at this moment in time.

I mean, if Mark Hughes was to leave Stoke and we saw them talking about Simeone join what would you do?

Leicester currently yes but they have a settled manager so not a realistic comparison.

Stoke I would say fair play to them showing ambition it's what we should be doing. But again they have a settled manager.

I'm being realistic, I can't possibly see Simeone leaving the finalists of the Champions League to join a mid table team in the premiership not in Europe.

I just for some reason can't see it. We laugh at the likes of Newcastle for getting above themselves, we are doing the same here.
Change Simeone to Klopp and that's exactly what happened

I'm being realistic, I can't possibly see Simeone leaving the finalists of the Champions League to join a mid table team in the premiership not in Europe.

I just for some reason can't see it. We laugh at the likes of Newcastle for getting above themselves, we are doing the same here.

You're comparing us trying for someone like Simeone to Newcastle trying for him...

Newcastle... who are now a championship team. Hardly compareable is it...

However unlikely it is, id much rather us be ambitious and read other posters with ambitions than people happy to settle for mediocrity.

Even championship Newcastle managed to secure an ex Real Madrid manager ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back