Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talking to a mate today who in all fairness is generally clued up on football. What scared me is when I was ranting about Martinez was his reply, which I think generally represents the image of Everton as a whole.

He came back to me with, "apart from Moyes, is there really anyone else out there not free who would go to Everton?" He's never been disparaging about Everton before, and it spoke volumes really. We're seen from the outside as a whole as we were pre-Moyes, just another old club with its best days behind us. With how influential the media appear to be these days in the hype surrounding new managers, will we be able to attract the top quality? Honestly think that's what is needed, if anything, just to keep our four best players at the club. Without those players we're looking at another three years at least to get back to where we are now.
just tell him Bobby is currently in the top twenty highest paid manager in the world,that leaves quite a few that wouldn't mind a crack at his job and wages

Do you think it's significant that the echo are writing about rumours that the club are contacting people? I feel like normally the club would stop them printing this sort of stuff, maybe in exchange for an exclusive with one of the players or something. These last few weeks it's like the echo have suddenly started sticking the boot in on Martinez.
Yes it suggests he's on borrowed time.

Given the way The Echo tread the club line, there's a chance this article could be a message to the fans from the club.

Just imagine how furious they'd be with their pals at the paper if there was no truth in it. Let's see how this plays out.
Scratch all that. I see this report originated in South America. It's also well down the Everton news feed on the Echo site with a big 'rumour' attached to the headline.

What people need to realise is that whilst Biesla inspired managers like Guardiola and Pochettino, both of those amongst others took the basis of his high pressing game and TWEAKED it.

Basically Biesla (like Martinez) adapts the purest forms of their philosophy with little in terms of a plan B.

my own personal opinion is that he would be a bad appointment, his temperament and stubbornness may have us as frustrated as we currently are under Roberto, alongside the fact the bloke hasn't won any trophies in the game.

If we don't go for a top manager like Mourinho or Emery then we really do need to aim for a Mancini or Pellegrini.

My god the Pellegrini shouts really need to do one. Look at him, he's fed up, bored and looks ready for retirement. The only significant thing he's ever won is a Premier League with the most expensive ever team in this country, and a title that was gifted to him by Slippy G

Just before you feel too bad for him take a moment to think of the three years remaining on his contract that will be paid up.
I actually asked that in here a few days ago, and was told they don't pay put anymore? They now just keep paying him until his next job I was informed?
Otherwise, if no agreement is in place or can be reached, do we pay him the full 9m?

Agree with groucho here I don't feel sorry for him. Although football managers tend to get sacked regularly they do get paid very well and like Bobby are either paid up or kept on gardening leave until another job comes along. A bit different to the real world that if you're sacked that's your lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back