Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I see no point in bringing in a man midseason, that brings needless upheaval to the club. Better off taking our time and getting the right man in than screwing it up in the search for short term results this season.

Yep, and in the meantime, hopefully Martinez can turn things around with this squad. The manager is obviously the one with the responsibility, but the players have to step up and be counted. Martinez can only control so much.

The thing is, it's when Martinez goes here.

I've got no issue with people wanting him out, as they're not realistic in their expectations of who we can get at this point in the season.

If he is to go, it has to be the summer, so we can get the right man in and he can have a full pre-season with the squad. That man for me would be Quique Flores.

But I don't particularly want RM out.
Terrible manager only got Valencia in the CL both seasons he was there (which automatically gets you sacked here) his missus isn't too shabby either http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/say-hello-orsi-fehr-watford-7138294

both out of work i think at the moment

Yes, you are right, both out of work. Sampaoli is fine, but Bielsa is genius - created own attacking style of football with 4 core principles (concentration, permanent focus, rotation and improvisation), with pace, intensity, and know how to defend. Yes, as genuis, he is complicated, probably little idiosyncratic, obsessive character :) But if we employ psychologist and manage this challenges, nobody would be better.

Gary Neville might be free soon. If we're lucky he could bring his Brother as an assistant, knows the Club inside out, great at pointing and shouting.

BRING ON THE NEVILLE DREAM TICKET!!!

Gary Neville might be free soon. If we're lucky he could bring his Brother as an assistant, knows the Club inside out, great at pointing and shouting.

Just got them into the Semi Final, and as we know that is real success.

Just we'd be able to defend. I agree less pretty football but there were times when we played some great stuff. Especially down the left hand side.

Whilst the pointing and shouting is often a p**s take, its probably a lot more than what's going on in our defence now.......

Yes, you are right, both out of work. Sampaoli is fine, but Bielsa is genius - created own attacking style of football with 4 core principles (concentration, permanent focus, rotation and improvisation), with pace, intensity, and know how to defend. Yes, as genuis, he is complicated, probably little idiosyncratic, obsessive character :) But if we employ psychologist and manage this challenges, nobody would be better.
yes sounds a bit of a character but i think his style would go down very well here.
Sampaoli is decent as well not just possession for the sake of it , when Chile got beat after having 70% odd possession the ball, he said,
Its like meeting a woman in a bar, and buying drinks for her till 5 am in the morning, then a man walks in and takes her by the hand to the bathroom and makes love to her, then she leaves with him.
Its no good having possession if somebody else wins the prize.
I can think of somebody who should take the moral of that tale on board:D.

Last edited:
Ya read someplace that benfica let his contract run down because they were arrogant and were just assuming he would sign a new contract so probably was a case of him wanting more money and they werent willing to spend it.
According to the guy I spoke to, he left Benfica as he was offered €30,000 A MONTH at Sporting, instead of the €20,000 he was getting at Benfica. I was amazed it was so low (compared to the Premier League), but he insists that's the rate for top managers in Portugal!

I would like to hear the manager talk about our defensive play so far this season.
It is a problem, we have given away too many soft goals , too many late goals and in general too many goals. That is undeniable.
We have had some horrible decisions against us, but that apart we have a problem.

Where does our problems lie ?
Is it the defenders not defending first and playing football second, is our midfield set incorrectly and not giving enough cover to the back four ?, are our wide players too offensive and not offering enough defensively or is the whole problem Lukakus fault ?

Maybe , if you want to play like Barcelona you need better players than we have and somewhere we have to find a compromise between our attacking and our defensive game.

I think the managers job depends on it in the longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back