Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear Bielsa dosent speak English, there was some talk of him the other day but for that reason im not so sure. Howe hasnt got the experience so far, but we have done that young manager thing twice now, I want a break from it and go for someone who has been in a managers seat for longer.

De boer

Villas boas

Mourinho

Pereira ;)

Are the. only ones who should be considered .

Oh with the dark horse if people want a young manager is the current manager of olympiacos

Dunno why people actually want pellegrini

Because he built and managed a team that kept us out of our one chance at getting into the CL and reached the semi with it from the having to play the qualifying rounds.
Becasue he built and managed another small team to qualify and reach the QF of the CL.
Because failiure for him at Madrid was with their record ever points total as a team, was with setting the record for goals scored in spain for a team and only came second due to Barcelona being arguably the best ever club side that season
Because in two full seasons at city he won a cup and league, and this season another cup - was 3 points off the top when they torpedoed him with the pep announcent and has reached the SF of the CL for the first time int he clubs history - and done all that with effectively little to no say on which players are brought into the club (so effectively with another mans choice of players).

He builds teams that score a lot of goals and don't ship them the other end at the same time, he knows the league, and he is respected

Because he built and managed a team that kept us out of our one chance at getting into the CL and reached the semi with it from the having to play the qualifying rounds.
Becasue he built and managed another small team to qualify and reach the QF of the CL.
Because failiure for him at Madrid was with their record ever points total as a team, was with setting the record for goals scored in spain for a team and only came second due to Barcelona being arguably the best ever club side that season
Because in two full seasons at city he won a cup and league, and this season another cup - was 3 points off the top when they torpedoed him with the pep announcent and has reached the SF of the CL for the first time int he clubs history - and done all that with effectively little to no say on which players are brought into the club (so effectively with another mans choice of players).

He builds teams that score a lot of goals and don't ship them the other end at the same time, he knows the league, and he is respected
That's a very good answer mate.

He just isn't for me don't think he will suit us and don't think he is good enough to manage a side like us in premier league

Seems better suited to Spanish league or somewhere like that

Great post, to me it's a no brainer, if we can't get Jose, Pellegrini has to be the next choice. If United loose to west ham later, Pellegrini may become the top choice.

That's a very good answer mate.

He just isn't for me don't think he will suit us and don't think he is good enough to manage a side like us in premier league

Seems better suited to Spanish league or somewhere like that

Based solely on his time at City withpout any mitigating facotrs mate i would agree, but honestly think since day 1 he has just been their owners stop gap till they got the one they always wanted and made no secret about wanting. From that perspective i don't know another manager in those conditions who would have done better than he has - working knowing as soon as Guardiola became available your time would be up no matter what

His work in other countries and at 'team building' is what i really like about him, the Villareal and Malaga sides both where fantastic to watch and both had a few academy players he brought into the team and made central to them

Don't get me wrong no manger whatsoever is a guarantee, but to go from Martinez to Pelligrini would be a massive - an absolutely massive upgrade, ofc their is a fair few others who the same claim could be made about as well, as long as we go for a proven one i wont be unhappy

He did an impressive job some years ago, particularly with Villareal. However Malaga were massively backed financially and had a fantastic team. He won nothing with Madrid.

I am most concerned with his time at City though and also his age. He has the most expensively assembled squad in the league and will have won it once in 4 years. He has continually failed to address the problems at the back despite spending huge sums of money to do so. The fact that Van Gaal is considered such an awful manager, yet Pellegrini is by no means guaranteed of finishing ahead of him is also a worry.

Yes he has got to the champions league semi in 1 season of out 4. Hardly a staggering achievement.

In all honesty at his age he would be completely the wrong appointment for us and he reminds me of Walter Smith. Get Mourinho. Or failing that get a younger manager who's shown he can develop players and overachieve with a budget in the last 5 years.

Great post, to me it's a no brainer, if we can't get Jose, Pellegrini has to be the next choice. If United loose to west ham later, Pellegrini may become the top choice.

My thinking mate is who would i be worried about a rival hiring, if a manager wouldn't worry me say if the rs, united, spurs had them then it basically means we should swerve them else we are placing oursleves into a role willing to accept second best, if they hired someone i thought oh crap about then their the one i would want, Pelligrini, Mourinho etc are int hat catagory

He did an impressive job some years ago, particularly with Villareal. However Malaga were massively backed financially and had a fantastic team. He won nothing with Madrid.

I am most concerned with his time at City though and also his age. He has the most expensively assembled squad in the league and will have won it once in 4 years. He has continually failed to address the problems at the back despite spending huge sums of money to do so. The fact that Van Gaal is considered such an awful manager, yet Pellegrini is by no means guaranteed of finishing ahead of him is also a worry.

Yes he has got to the champions league semi in 1 season of out 4. Hardly a staggering achievement.

In all honesty at his age he would be completely the wrong appointment for us and he reminds me of Walter Smith. Get Mourinho. Or failing that get a younger manager who's shown he can develop players and overachieve with a budget in the last 5 years.

It would be heartbreaking if we got pellegrini. An absolute travesty showing zero planning.

Basicslly he made his name at villereal since coming to europe and has had limited success since then with large budgets.

Wouldnt trust him to spend a bean.

Mate check out how much he spent net in his time at malaga and it may surprise you how little it was, maybe they went big on wages etc, but they just spent a huge amount for a club like Malaga, not anythign massively extravagent in real terms

You honestly think that City have brought in the people above him - who all have ties with Guardiola mate from the past and have let Pelligrini have free reign on buying whoever he wanted to, he has at best had a very restricted role in player aquisition there

As for winning the league once in 4 years, mate i think it's very unfair for blaming him for City not being able to win the league in 12/13 when he was the manager of real Malaga at the time, at the end of this year he will have finished 3 years in the job, 1 PL, 2 Cyups and a european Sf - so far

As for Madrid - yup he won nothing - but did break the league record for goals socred in a team, sewt a real madrid all time record for top flight points and lost out on the title to a Guardiola managed Barca team that was probbaly one of the best teams of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back