Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm hardly a big Martinez fan, but I call a spade a spade and he has been decent with the youth players on the whole

He's terrible at organising a defence like, but he will actually give you a chance if you're under the age of 25

Does he ever send players out on loan? Or does he send out inferior players on a match day in order to 'develop' them at the expense of team performance? As that's what you seem to be advocating.

Mourinho doesn't treat his games like training exercises, so if you aren't good enough then you won't get a game. That's no problem though, they can go out on loan, just like they do at Everton.

So much wrong in one post

Barkley would never have broken through if Moyes hadn't left. Moyes did not rate him, did not like him and was never going to give him his chance. End of

Browning got injured actually. Pretty serious one too, hence why he's not played in so long

Besic played in the Hungarian league. Tony Watt is also an international footballer, as is Shane Duffy who you just called a "yard dog". It was still a gamble to go for him, but Martinez took it and deserves credit for doing so

Dowell is good, that I agree with, though I think Ledson will ultimately be better

But they play in different positions. Lesson has stalled, Dowell has pushed on.

Wrong I what way?

Your opinion because I dont like Duffy? Duffy is the modern day Richard dunne, and dunney was more cultured. Will he have a good career, probably. Is he good enough for efc? No.

Barkley would never have broken through? Your basing this on what? What inside knowledge do you have? Barkley physically and technically has always been one of our best products, it might not have been so soon but he would have broke through.

And? Funds mori played in Argentina, a worse league then Hungary. Besic is an international, and played in different countries. Not a wet nosed 18 year old.

Browning, yeah he got his injury, who was he displacing?

But sorry... If you think so much wrong in one post sound. The issue started because you said mourinho would do so much damage to our youth... My argument is, what good has been done for it (in comparison to moyes) to make you think mourinho would be a bad idea.

He had a whole country to cherry pick, your expecting somebody to build a team around 20 lads at FF.

Bit different.

Honestly Mikey, we have had this discussion for as long as I can recall and guess what, im still waiting for somebody to break through from the youth set up. How many years now? Ross Barkley since I joined in 2008, so thats 1 player in 8 years.

Wunderbar.

It depends on how you define "broke out"

If that means "Play at a standard good enough for the first team" then Browning and Galloway have both done that. Again, Galloway is a young player who Martinez actively went after and then promoted to the senior team, so it counts

Quite harsh on Mikey, hes not saying Martinez is the yooth yoda, but he seems to think somebody will take over the club and build the team around the lads in FF, its a noble mission, sadly unless we wanna play in League One we are gonna have to buy actual football players.

That's not so much a slight on him, tho he is banging the drum.

We don't know how mourinho would take a club like its forward, the thing is we haven't had great custodians in promoting youth anyway - so it should be a stick to knock him down with.

As far as ambition...it goes like this for me, @bizzaro style...
Tier 1
Mourinho, Pellegrini, Simeone, Tuchel
Tier 2
De Boer, Coco, Emery, AVB
Tier 3
Hiddink, koeman, Howe, Flores
Tier 4
Moyes, Hughes, Me, Emily Bishop
Tier 1 is:dance::celebrate::dance::celebrate:
Tier 2...;):cheers:
Tier 3...:):mad::rolleyes:
Tier 4...Ffs:blush::rant::red:& besides me & Emily are too busy feltching!!
C'mon Moshiri let's show some ambition!!

Does he ever send players out on loan? Or does he send out inferior players on a match day in order to 'develop' them at the expense of team performance? As that's what you seem to be advocating.

Mourinho doesn't treat his games like training exercises, so if you aren't good enough then you won't get a game. That's no problem though, they can go out on loan, just like they do at Everton.

You seem to have the impression that I'm against the loan system

I'm not

I'm all for sending a player out on loan so he can get some games, impress and then get a place in the first team when returns

I'm against using the loan system to send players you have no intention of ever playing out to rot while you play the players you actually want to play while ignoring everything the younger player does while he's loaned

I'll leave it up to you to work out which approach Jose Mourinho favours

It depends on how you define "broke out"

If that means "Play at a standard good enough for the first team" then Browning and Galloway have both done that. Again, Galloway is a young player who Martinez actively went after and then promoted to the senior team, so it counts

You cant have Galloway Mikey, he was purchased, not produced.

Im sorry if hes reading this, but im not even totally convinced about Browning, ask me again when hes played 50 games.

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4
Nice work that mate..

If he does indeed become manager, we can revisit this thread in 4-5 years and I expect a lot of you will have changed your tunes when we're falling to pieces as our new manager tries to get all Jose's mercenaries off the wage bill while Ryan Ledson is tearing it up for another club

Sorry mate, but I'd give my right arm to have Mourinho replace Martinez. The message it'd send out in terms of our ambition would be extraordinary.

I don't think some waster like Martinez promoting Ledson and co to the first team would have the same reputational impact.

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4

[Poor language removed] hell we have tiers!

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4
+10

You seem to have the impression that I'm against the loan system

I'm not

I'm all for sending a player out on loan so he can get some games, impress and then get a place in the first team when returns

I'm against using the loan system to send players you have no intention of ever playing out to rot while you play the players you actually want to play while ignoring everything the younger player does while he's loaned

I'll leave it up to you to work out which approach Jose Mourinho favours
But Jose wins stuff mate.. Like trophies and big games..

If I was a billionaire, I'd want him working for me Mikey.

Going out of your way to sign unproven young players and then putting them in the senior set up counts as giving "yoooth a chance"

Galloway had played 17 games in total for mk dons. Not exactly untried. Unproven, but signs where there. Again, I don't think he is established enough to say he had made it. Great start to the season then demoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back