Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joachim Low would be a no from me, he was gifted a golden era of German football and hasn't won anything with them and his management at club level has never been spectacular to suggest he would fit back into it without any issues.

Emmmmm.

Anyway anyone who wouldn't want Jose Mourinho at this club is an actual madman. The guy wins trophies and we haven't for too long to not value that.

I've never actually said that mate, but do go ahead and attribute things to me if it'll help you make a point

So you agree that the manager should pick his strongest 11 then? That's what Mourinho does, and that may mean that some youngsters don't get a game. So they go on loan, just like they do at Everton.

So you agree that the manager should pick his strongest 11 then? That's what Mourinho does, and that may mean that some youngsters don't get a game. So they go on loan, just like they do at Everton.

No I think that if a young player comes into the team and plays well he should get the chance to play again

I also think that if a young player goes on loan and plays well, he should actually get a chance to play when he comes back

For example, if Reuben Loftus-Cheek plays and is the best player in the first half, maybe you shouldn't take him off at half time for no reason and stunt his progress

I'm not saying someone should just get thrown in there for the craic FFS

No I think that if a young player comes into the team and plays well he should get the chance to play again

I also think that if a young player goes on loan and plays well, he should actually get a chance to play when he comes back

For example, if Reuben Loftus-Cheek plays and is the best player in the first half, maybe you shouldn't take him off at half time for no reason and stunt his progress

I'm not saying someone should just get thrown in there for the craic FFS

Are you saying this should happen at the expense of a superior player?

Emmmmm.

Anyway anyone who wouldn't want Jose Mourinho at this club is an actual madman. The guy wins trophies and we haven't for too long to nat value that.
Mate, I'm not sure on what's a wind up anymore here.

We've gone from not having a cat in hells chance of getting Mourinho..

To lads not rating him as a manager of a football team and who will be fuming if we bag him.

Utter madness all round and God only help the Mods of GOT if we get utterly trounced next Saturday.

boateng.jpg

03_01151842_74c9bf_2667649a.jpg

Mate, I'm not sure on what's a wind up anymore here.

We've gone from not having a cat in hells chance of getting Mourinho..

To lads not rating him as a manager of a football team and who will be fuming if we bag him.

Utter madness all round and God only help the Mods of GOT if we get utterly trounced next Saturday.

Mate, I've NEVER questioned Mourinho's ability to win things

I just think he has a bad track record with young players

I'm sure he'd come here and win stuff, I'm just not sure if the trade off is worth it

It all comes down to what sort of football club we want to leave for future generations and what we value about the club currently

I can't really have a go at someone for having different values than me

In fact, the only reason I'm still posting here is because certain blerts have taken issue with me having a different view of things to them and I've had to defend myself accordingly

It's not as if I'd stop supporting Everton is Jose Mourinho was the manager, but I would be worried about what happened after he left

I'd rather have someone with a long time plan who can give us prolonged success over a long period rather than a guy coming in for a short period of time just to pad out his CV

If you disagree with that, then fair enough, but I feel it's a valid worry to have

I've never actually said that mate, but do go ahead and attribute things to me if it'll help you make a point

There was a thing I've been meaning to bring up with you a lot but have been waiting for the right time and I think it's now.

A long time ago, when we both still had sts, we were sat on a wall outside the gladys street waiting for a game to start and talking about alcaraz and duffy and brining in veterans rather than trusting the youth.

You were very unhappy about the fact we'd bought in over the hill veterans like Barry, Alcaraz and Kone rather than trusting our youth and you reckoned it would harm us the long run.

And I said part of the problem is veterans tend to be on more money so the club feels obliged to play them to get value for that money and it take a particuarly brave manager to start some kid on 5k a week when he's got a superstar on 80k sitting there because if it goes wrong, it'll be used as the reason the way it was when gullit benched shearer at newcastle and the superstar is more likely to posion the atmosphere if not picked.

And as a counter example I bought up was that Paul Lambert had a very well paid squad of the likes of Darren Bent and Shay Given and Alan Hutton and instead he was starting a bunch of kids who mostly weren't good enough and the result was a bad fracturing of morale and unity in the dressing room that made villa an ugly place.

And you said, that might well be true, but within 5 years those villa boys would have grown together as a team and so long term the strategy would pay off and Villa would be better off than we would.

Just thought I'd bring that up.

I'm saying the best player should be picked, and that's what Mourinho does. I don't agree that there is some awful consequence to doing this.

Sometimes the best player is out of form or coming back from injury

Do you pick him or do you pick the player who has been playing in his place and doing well?

It's not FIFA mate, with handy scores out of 100 to let you know who has the best dribbling stats. Form is massively important

For instance, if Tom Davies plays in 2-3 more games because of injuries and suspensions and does really well, I wouldn't want him to be dropped even if "better" players were waiting in the wing, because he wouldn't deserve to be dropped

There was a thing I've been meaning to bring up with you a lot but have been waiting for the right time and I think it's now.

A long time ago, when we both still had sts, we were sat on a wall outside the gladys street waiting for a game to start and talking about alcaraz and duffy and brining in veterans rather than trusting the youth.

You were very unhappy about the fact we'd bought in over the hill veterans like Barry, Alcaraz and Kone rather than trusting our youth and you reckoned it would harm us the long run.

And I said part of the problem is veterans tend to be on more money so the club feels obliged to play them to get value for that money and it take a particuarly brave manager to start some kid on 5k a week when he's got a superstar on 80k sitting there because if it goes wrong, it'll be used as the reason the way it was when gullit benched shearer at newcastle and the superstar is more likely to posion the atmosphere if not picked.

And as a counter example I bought up was that Paul Lambert had a very well paid squad of the likes of Darren Bent and Shay Given and Alan Hutton and instead he was starting a bunch of kids who mostly weren't good enough and the result was a bad fracturing of morale and unity in the dressing room that made villa an ugly place.

And you said, that might well be true, but within 5 years those villa boys would have grown together as a team and so long term the strategy would pay off and Villa would be better off than we would.

Just thought I'd bring that up.

Well changing manager 4 times is hardly great for squad continuity is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back