Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also while I'm here.

Chelsea are 10th in the league, one position and 3 points above us.

Meanwhile Lukaku has scored more goals than Costa and de bruyne and filipe luis are both in cl semi finals.

Mourinho has, without question, messed up by not bringing talented players into his team and instead letting them leave to other clubs where they turned out to be better than the players he kept instead.

That doesn't, for me, outweigh his positives, but it is a flaw of his.

There was a thing I've been meaning to bring up with you a lot but have been waiting for the right time and I think it's now.

A long time ago, when we both still had sts, we were sat on a wall outside the gladys street waiting for a game to start and talking about alcaraz and duffy and brining in veterans rather than trusting the youth.

You were very unhappy about the fact we'd bought in over the hill veterans like Barry, Alcaraz and Kone rather than trusting our youth and you reckoned it would harm us the long run.

And I said part of the problem is veterans tend to be on more money so the club feels obliged to play them to get value for that money and it take a particuarly brave manager to start some kid on 5k a week when he's got a superstar on 80k sitting there because if it goes wrong, it'll be used as the reason the way it was when gullit benched shearer at newcastle and the superstar is more likely to posion the atmosphere if not picked.

And as a counter example I bought up was that Paul Lambert had a very well paid squad of the likes of Darren Bent and Shay Given and Alan Hutton and instead he was starting a bunch of kids who mostly weren't good enough and the result was a bad fracturing of morale and unity in the dressing room that made villa an ugly place.

And you said, that might well be true, but within 5 years those villa boys would have grown together as a team and so long term the strategy would pay off and Villa would be better off than we would.

Just thought I'd bring that up.

So could you please explain what horrible reality would be awaiting us if Mourinho left us after bringing us a period of success? You say it wouldn't be worth the trade off, so what do you actually think it would lead to?

There was a thing I've been meaning to bring up with you a lot but have been waiting for the right time and I think it's now.

A long time ago, when we both still had sts, we were sat on a wall outside the gladys street waiting for a game to start and talking about alcaraz and duffy and brining in veterans rather than trusting the youth.

You were very unhappy about the fact we'd bought in over the hill veterans like Barry, Alcaraz and Kone rather than trusting our youth and you reckoned it would harm us the long run.

And I said part of the problem is veterans tend to be on more money so the club feels obliged to play them to get value for that money and it take a particuarly brave manager to start some kid on 5k a week when he's got a superstar on 80k sitting there because if it goes wrong, it'll be used as the reason the way it was when gullit benched shearer at newcastle and the superstar is more likely to posion the atmosphere if not picked.

And as a counter example I bought up was that Paul Lambert had a very well paid squad of the likes of Darren Bent and Shay Given and Alan Hutton and instead he was starting a bunch of kids who mostly weren't good enough and the result was a bad fracturing of morale and unity in the dressing room that made villa an ugly place.

And you said, that might well be true, but within 5 years those villa boys would have grown together as a team and so long term the strategy would pay off and Villa would be better off than we would.

Just thought I'd bring that up.
There's nothing I'd like more than a core of home grown kids.

Oh, how I wanted Anichebe and Vaughan to be our centre forward duo for the next 10 years..

Do Liverpool miss Gerrard and Carragher ? Course they do.. They 'get' the club. And they were TOP players.
We sold our top home grown players at the earliest opportunity.. ( don't give me Hibbert and Osman either )

Right this second though we need to buy instant sucess, whilst on the slow burner, bringing through the kids if they are good enough.

Chelsea, City and United are developing the academy's and Sheeds and Unsworth are doing just grand for us..

One big change, yeah I'm talking Martinez here.. And whoever comes in could do very well indeed with what's in place already.

Sometimes the best player is out of form or coming back from injury

Do you pick him or do you pick the player who has been playing in his place and doing well?

It's not FIFA mate, with handy scores out of 100 to let you know who has the best dribbling stats. Form is massively important

For instance, if Tom Davies plays in 2-3 more games because of injuries and suspensions and does really well, I wouldn't want him to be dropped even if "better" players were waiting in the wing, because he wouldn't deserve to be dropped

Well I'd prefer to see Tom Davies go out on loan, so that he doesn't have to wait for a freak occurrence in which half of our squad is injured in order to get a game. I can't agree about with your point about choosing inferior players over superior ones.

If you could learn to read, you might notice I want Mourinho and said anyone who didn't was a lunatic.

Thanks.

Quoted the wrong person. Sorry mate. Was meant for Mikey. As he is the one who has been stating that we would encounter an awful reality after Mourinho had brought us success. I just wondered what this awful reality would look like?

Quoted the wrong person. Sorry mate. Was meant for Mikey. As he is the one who has been stating that we would encounter an awful reality after Mourinho had brought us success. I just wondered what this awful reality would look like?

Chelsea this year would be the obvious thing.

Which is they're tenth while young players they had previously and let go, de bruyne, felipe, lukaku, are impressing elsewhere.

I mean I'd take that for two or three years of glory but that, presumably, is the risk.

Last edited:

Which is they're tenth while young players they had previously and let go, de bruyne, felipe, lukaku, are impressiving elsewhere.

I mean I'd take that for two or three years of glory but that, presumably, is the risk.

They're still above us like. Not much of a risk.

Which is they're tenth while young players they had previously and let go, de bruyne, felipe, lukaku, are impressiving elsewhere.

So it would mean a return to what we have been experiencing for about 30 years then. I think I could also live with returning to our current status if it meant winning league titles and competing in the Champions League for a few years.

Those players are playing great.. But Hazards form, or utter lack of it for a whole season is just bizarre.
The player of the year being utterly gash would ruin most sides seasons.

Yeah but he started with a team that was top 4.

After 1 year Martinez had us one Crystal Palace game away from the same thing. Even if he ballsed it up after a couple of years of greatness, we'd only be going back to what we have been like for most of our history, a mid table first division side.

Although I can't stand Mourinho, think he's a complete meff and at times an odious piece of work, I can't imagine a universe where I wouldn't want him managing Everton Football Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back