Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sooner man u confirm Jose had signed for them the better, we can go back and talk about releastic options.

Jose plays the kids if they are good enough. He wanted Stones. Jose is a winner and goes after players in their peak which enabled him to win everything. Ferguson let progba go as he wouldn't give him a chance and bright scholes back in from retirement rather then trust progba and progba left in a huff with Ferguson.Wenger played kids and win nothing. I just want a manager who hates to lose. Martinez is to nice for us and I like Martinez but love Everton and we need someone like Jose but he man u bound. So let's talk about someone we could get and no not simeone either.

We ain't getting a high level manager no matter what people think in here, Pellegrini will probs end up at Valencia, Mourinho will be off to Utd and not even sure why Simeone and Tuchel are being mentioned, about as much chance of that happening as us winning back to back games at Goodison any time soon.

De Boer fits the bill for what we are after and would jump at the chance to come to England. He comes with a big reputation in football from his playing days, hes a proven winner in Holland despite regularly having to turn over players and re build with youngsters brought through or bought in by him and his scouting team (Milik, Bazoer, El Ghazi, Sinkgraven, Younes etc...)

Other than that you would have to look at other possible european level managers in not so great nations with a winning record or try and lure someone from Spain although a continental manager with limited English knowledge would be highly doubtful for us. Then on the british side there isn't many options about that would take us back up a level and push on from where Moyes had us. Moyes again is a no, Howe is too much of a risk, Dyche, Rowett and a few other championship managers are likely mid level prem at best so have to go within our limit and De Boer fits that perfectly.

Joachim Low would be a no from me, he was gifted a golden era of German football and hasn't won anything with them and his management at club level has never been spectacular to suggest he would fit back into it without any issues.
Oh god I'm pissing myself at Joachim Low not having won anything with Germany.

They won the world cup ffs.
The WORLD CUP

Not sure what De Boer has done, winning the league at Ajax is like winning it with Celtic.

The real test is getting into the Champions League and competing in the groups with those clubs, didn't even get past Rapid Vienna in qualifying over 2 legs.

Been saying the same thing, Steve McLaren won the league in Holland and he's utter pony, people would be horrified if his name was being bandied about instead. The same people banging the DeBoer drum then turn their nose up at Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche who've done great work with very limited resources. Not my first choices, but a lot more proven than someone who won the league in Holland.

.....I don't like the 'big club' terminology, the view that the big fish eat the smaller fish is certainly true but it can be a tasteless distraction when we talk about a search for a new manager. For example, we might have a view that we are bigger than Soton but their fans will highlight that they have a better side than us.

We should have aspirations of attracting who we want not argue about going for Managers at so called smaller clubs. The Premier League is a big attraction, Everton is a big attraction. If we want Koeman he should be sounded out, if we want Mourinho he should be sounded out. There are a lot more managers out there who want to join us than don't.

Indeed, Eggs. I'd like to think that our recruitment process post Martinez will be much better than the one that happened post Moyes. Horrifying that our manager shortlist the first time round consisted of Neville, Stubbs, Weir and Martinez...

That was over 10 years ago at a club where he had no proper money to spend

How about him bringing back 72 year old Drogba during his last Chelsea run at the expense of a certain lad named Lukaku?

Lukaku had made it clear he wanted a prominent role and not be a rotations option for them for Costa mate, was his decision to leave and not try fight his way into that squad, and gonna be brutally honest - at a club with the ambitions that Chelsea have every season, the Lukaku we had last season wasn't good enough - he needed to move to play every week to actually improve as a player, are you seriously saying you would have started him last season in place and ahead of Costa - because to have kept him at Chelsea thats what they would have ahd to have done

As for our current manager - you reckon he would have brought on the two young lads yesterday if the pressure on him wasn't like it is right now, to me it smacked of bringing on two scouse lads to use as a way of human shield between him and the fans

Martinez much quoted (by himself in large part) trust in youth and bringing players up through the academy is a myth btw, show me how many players he has brought through the ranks of the academy for either us or wigan - or are the young players he plays actually players who have already been given a shot by another manager and he has bought them, in 3 years in charge until yesterday he had given a premier league debut to a grand total of 1 academy product, be interesting to see how that compares with Mourinho at Chelsea the last 3 seasons actually - got the feeling Mourinho will have played more than 1 academy lad during the saem time period

BTW - our method of developing young players by sending them on loan also makes no sense whatoever - for one - the level we are sending them to is LOW, Kenny and Ledson both in division 2 when they are better than that level, and this 1 month here then extending then recalling etc, it gives the player zero continuity during his time on loan as they don't know when they will be pulled back from week to week, surely not a good thing to enable them to settle and bed in with the new teammates

If he does indeed become manager, we can revisit this thread in 4-5 years and I expect a lot of you will have changed your tunes when we're falling to pieces as our new manager tries to get all Jose's mercenaries off the wage bill while Ryan Ledson is tearing it up for another club

Yeah will be absolutely gutting to get all those quality players he leaves behind off the wage bill Mikey so we can get players of the ilk of Kone, McGeady and Alcaraz back in who fully deserve their wages

Hey, I'm not saying Martinez gets a free pass on this issue either

There is no one on this entire forum who could convince me that Conor McAlney would have played worse than Kone today if he'd been given the chance

But Martinez has at least given some young players a chance

He has a better record than Jose does anyway

Oh and Loftus-Cheek has been playing pretty consistently for Hiddink

Show me how many Everton and Wigan players Martinez has given a chance to in the league who he hasn't gone out and bought mate?
As this is the heart of the matter - anyone can buy in a young player - Mourinho has done that plenty - but we are talking about developing through the clubs system home grown lads, how many in 7 years has Martinez done that with?

Made up to see Connoly get a game yesterday though, glad we didn't sign Byram now as that would have been another bought in player who would have pushed the academy lads further away from the first team

Mate, I've NEVER questioned Mourinho's ability to win things

I just think he has a bad track record with young players

I'm sure he'd come here and win stuff, I'm just not sure if the trade off is worth it

It all comes down to what sort of football club we want to leave for future generations and what we value about the club currently

I can't really have a go at someone for having different values than me

In fact, the only reason I'm still posting here is because certain blerts have taken issue with me having a different view of things to them and I've had to defend myself accordingly

It's not as if I'd stop supporting Everton is Jose Mourinho was the manager, but I would be worried about what happened after he left

I'd rather have someone with a long time plan who can give us prolonged success over a long period rather than a guy coming in for a short period of time just to pad out his CV

If you disagree with that, then fair enough, but I feel it's a valid worry to have
Great post and I reckon a lot more people agree with this than it would seem on this thread. His ability to win things is very much about maximising potential for one season. And he won't go somewhere were they won't abandon any longer term plans just to suit him or are willing to throw money at any problem he has.
Luckily we'll never see this one play out.

For 2-3 years maybe, but then he'd leave and it would be back to the wilderness for another decade

I want there to be a successful and healthy Everton for future generations of Evertonians

We are not Real Madrid or Chelsea

We do not have endless funds to give Jose's replacement (after he inevitably flakes in his third season) to re build the club

Our club has historically survived and even thrived on bringing young players through

Please think about what happens to clubs after Jose Mourinho leaves them before going gung-ho on the Jose Bandwaggon

Mate we've not won a thing for absolute years despite 'thriving on bringing young players through'. LOL.

Years and years.

Maybe just maybe, that doesn't work.

Current betting on Paddy power

David Moyes 2/1
R Mancini 8/1
Duncan Ferguson 14/1
M Laudrup 16/1
G Hiddink 20/1
H Redknapp 20/1
A Villas-Boas 20/1
T Tuchel 20/1
T Hibbert 20/1
F Rijkaard 25/1

LOL

Bet Victor have Pellgrini at 6/1 and Jose at 12/1.

Our Bobby is 3/1 to be next prem manager sacked.

Mate we've not won a thing for absolute years despite 'thriving on bringing young players through'. LOL.

Years and years.

Maybe just maybe, that doesn't work.

i want to know who all these young players we have brought through that have made us thrive are as well ?

Great post and I reckon a lot more people agree with this than it would seem on this thread. His ability to win things is very much about maximising potential for one season. And he won't go somewhere were they won't abandon any longer term plans just to suit him or are willing to throw money at any problem he has.
Luckily we'll never see this one play out.

No club Mourinho managed has set its record transfer when he was in charge
mourinhos first title winning chelsea team was actually one of the youngest average ages to win the league
he built that porto team from scratch and not with much money

rather had a manager who maximises potential even if its just for one or two seasons than a manager like we currently have who has players playing a mile below their actual ability

21 years and counting, this building for the future certainly is a long game isn't it, oh well all those teams Mourinho has managed with his short term success and trophies will one day be looking at us and be filled with jealousy about our method of looking at the future, - ofc by that time the players will probably be playing on hoverboards and the new TV deal with the mars colony will exceed all previous tv deals

Just so everyone knows, I'm busy today and getting hit from all sides in this thread for daring to have a different opinion than the hive mind, so for that reason I won't be replying to any tags or quotes

Maybe tomorrow, if I can find an hour or so to spare

But right now, I'm having a pleasant Sunday watching togger, so kindly get tae fudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back