Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mourinho wants the United job, and if offered it he'll jump at it.

However, not everyone at United sees him as being the right fit for them.

He's openly said he wants to stay in the PL and beyond United what are his options?

City - nope
Spurs - nope
Chelsea - nope
Arsenal - doubt they'll replace Wenger this summer and I can't see Mourinho being their chosen replacement
RS - nope

Which leaves who?

If United don't chuck LVG under the bus or decide that Mourinho is too big a risk, then we're a credible option for him, now Moshiri is on board

Ironically, our chances of landing him might rest on what happens in the FA cup, for more than one reason....

The long and short of it is mate, it doesn't matter one bit what the reality is of getting someone like Mourinho here, what matters is the perception of reality

In reality, IF he wants to manage in England then besides for the United job we are his next best (some may say only) genuine option, we can pay his wages, we are a club with enough talent in their that he can work with it, we can back him with a decent amount of wedge to shape the squad, and we won't heap the pressure on for instant success and WILL allow him a free reign in what he wants to do - which at United he wouldn't get, at Chelsea he had Abramovich meddling and at Madrid he had Perez meddling with buying players he never wanted.

The preception of relaity - Mourinho is massive clickbait and a headline generator, and discussion show gold for the media, Man United are the same, Everton are the oppostie, so IF he came to Everton they are left in the situation of having to discuss a 'unfashionable' club a lot more or not sicusiing Mourinho as much, at United they have the best of both worlds - cobined with the obvious fracturing of opinion of him at Board room level, the spectres of the 'class of united' always hovering and giving their views, the possible sidelining of Charlton and Ferguson by the club to appoint Mourinho - and it all adds up to a media wankfest

That is why Mourinho to United will get pushed to the maximum by the media, it's why we will be laughed at by them for suggesting we could go for him, the media do not want to write stories about Mourinho as Everton manager, they want him at a club that genrates a higher traffic in clicks.

Just look right now at which manager in the league gets the most attebntion, maybe Klopp? followed by Mourinho - who isn't even in a job, then LVG and way way down are very good managers who arent at 'clickable' clubs like Pocch and Ranieri - depsite them outperforming the rest of the league

Remember this is the same media that slated us for our reception when we played Moyes United after he left and called us ungrateful, the same media that pundits come out with we should be happy to be part of the league etc etc etc

Exactly, the main reason that there is any chance (however slim) of him joining is the lack of options he has.

He loves the PL and I honestly think that if Mourinho was such a cert for Man United it would have been announced by now as their fans are far from happy with their current situation.

He'd only go for a job abroad if it was a huge one:
Real Madrid - no chance
Barca - even less chance
Bayern - no chance
PSG - possibly? But I think their current manager has done a great job and that he's likely to stay put.
The Italian sides - I can't imagine him going back to Italy.

I also believe that the chance to build up a club with money to spend and some great young players is something he wouldn't dismiss completely.

He's had a decade of constant pressure to win the title or CL every season, and we could offer him something he hasn't done before.

Thing for me is - he isn't stupid, he knows what the effect winning something major for us would have on his legacy - also as far as rehabilitating his reputation - their probably isn't a better solution to it that someone like us

Who knows what effect Rannieri's title win will have this seaosn on the thinking of a lot of managers as well - can't say what he has done will not have an effect on somes thinking.

Exactly, the main reason that there is any chance (however slim) of him joining is the lack of options he has.

He loves the PL and I honestly think that if Mourinho was such a cert for Man United it would have been announced by now as their fans are far from happy with their current situation.

He'd only go for a job abroad if it was a huge one:
Real Madrid - no chance
Barca - even less chance
Bayern - no chance
PSG - possibly? But I think their current manager has done a great job and that he's likely to stay put.
The Italian sides - I can't imagine him going back to Italy.

I also believe that the chance to build up a club with money to spend and some great young players is something he wouldn't dismiss completely.

He's had a decade of constant pressure to win the title or CL every season, and we could offer him something he hasn't done before.

Man u might be keeping quiet until the summer as Jose is a very good friend of LVG and won't want to step on his toes yet which is the reason Jose doesn't want it announce.

Thing for me is - he isn't stupid, he knows what the effect winning something major for us would have on his legacy - also as far as rehabilitating his reputation - their probably isn't a better solution to it that someone like us

Who knows what effect Rannieri's title win will have this seaosn on the thinking of a lot of managers as well - can't say what he has done will not have an effect on somes thinking.

We can dream mate. The effect it would have on our club would be huge, and can you imagine what other club's fans (particularly the RS of course) would think?

Personally I want Mourinho. I think he could be astute in changing the mentality of our team, and ethos as a club, which I'm beginning to see as one of our key problems.

However, if this hypothetically panned out - I'd prefer it if he avoided just blowing stupid money on many players. I want big signings but I also don't want to feel like Chelsea/City spending ridiculous amounts and so on... We are still Everton, bargains and gems are in our nature!

Rannieri wining the league will show the top managers like Jose and Emery that they don't need to be at man u and co to win the title and players. Leicester winning the title could shake this league up

Man u might be keeping quiet until the summer as Jose is a very good friend of LVG and won't want to step on his toes yet which is the reason Jose doesn't want it announce.

This is true but business is business. Man United didn't have any trouble getting rid of Moyes who IMO did better than what LVG has.

It'll be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

In his last spell at Chelsea he spent less than £60m net.
For a team already full of superstars that's pretty heavy for one season and it involved some high profile sales we can't replicate. He's spent more than any other premier league manager over last ten years. And the end result is that Chelsea are midtable same as us.
The titles were great I'm sure but he didn't build a team from nothing to get there.

Rannieri wining the league will show the top managers like Jose and Emery that they don't need to be at man u and co to win the title and players. Leicester winning the title could shake this league up

Which for one is a major reason i am delighted to see Leicester do what they are doing, about time the league had something liek this happen to shake it the hell up, now left hoping pep fails at City as that will really throw the cat amonst the pidgeons

I don't think Mourinho would do any good here. He's used to buying ready made players. He chose to bring in Eto rather than give an exciting prospect of ROM a go. He also has a track record of only spending two seasons at a club then going elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it would be exciting at first. But it's a short term fix.

For a team already full of superstars that's pretty heavy for one season and it involved some high profile sales we can't replicate. He's spent more than any other premier league manager over last ten years. And the end result is that Chelsea are midtable same as us.
The titles were great I'm sure but he didn't build a team from nothing to get there.
Only it was 2 and a half years, not 1 season mate.

He's also not the highest net spending manager either. Hughes, Mancini and Pelligrini have all spent more net than Mourinho. Rodgers spent about the same net in his tenure at the pit, as Mourinho spent in his first spell at Chelsea.

Chelsea only ended up being mid table due to the players revolt that happened this season, triggered by the Doctor fiasco. They were the reigning champions btw mate.

Interesting to see if Mourinho rumour spreads to other rags

Already started mate, think they will all rehash the star story, doesn't mean theres any legs to it ofc, most likely just a journalist with half a brain has thought it is a really slim outside chance if the United job falls through, lets face it the journalist who first wrote it will have had a mega scoop should it come off, so worth taking a chance by him on the story

I don't think for one minute it will happen but just to address the two main criticisms that seem to be levelled at Mourinho about academy players and spending record sums. They can undoubtedly be levelled at Martinez and you don't get the other benefits that Mourinho brings.

It might be a relatively short term thing (3 years), it might shake off the people's do goody club tag that we have (not a bad thing Uni) and it might mean all these groups of fans that think we are a sound bunch etc might not be so complimentary anymore.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that when he left we would be "relevant" again. Whether that be a trophy or champions league or the high quality players he'd sign while he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back