Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so everyone knows, I'm busy today and getting hit from all sides in this thread for daring to have a different opinion than the hive mind, so for that reason I won't be replying to any tags or quotes

Maybe tomorrow, if I can find an hour or so to spare

But right now, I'm having a pleasant Sunday watching togger, so kindly get tae fudge

I don't think you're being unreasonable Mikey.

Have a nice Sunday mate.

Due to our abysmal showing in the league, our ability to attract top notch players this summer will be largely reliant on the profile of the manager and not our profile in the Premier League.

We therefore need a top level high profile manager to put together a squad capable of doing something special, irrespective of the money available.

There's only one man who fits that bill who's currently not in employment.

Just so everyone knows, I'm busy today and getting hit from all sides in this thread for daring to have a different opinion than the hive mind, so for that reason I won't be replying to any tags or quotes

But right now, I'm having a pleasant Sunday watching togger, so kindly get tae fudge

But this is you getting all wet about other people's opinions mate.

No club Mourinho managed has set its record transfer when he was in charge
mourinhos first title winning chelsea team was actually one of the youngest average ages to win the league
he built that porto team from scratch and not with much money

rather had a manager who maximises potential even if its just for one or two seasons than a manager like we currently have who has players playing a mile below their actual ability

21 years and counting, this building for the future certainly is a long game isn't it, oh well all those teams Mourinho has managed with his short term success and trophies will one day be looking at us and be filled with jealousy about our method of looking at the future, - ofc by that time the players will probably be playing on hoverboards and the new TV deal with the mars colony will exceed all previous tv deals
It's not one thing or the other though. Transfer record or not he spent a fortune at the time for Chelsea and was bankrolled again at Madrid. He clearly maximised potential at Porto but they weren't exactly in our current position.
When faced with the challenge of overhauling Barca and with all the money in the world available to him he proved himself a one trick pony. And again this season at Chelsea he organised them to take a poor league last season but at the expense of even medium term progress.
He's always ready to move on because he knows his style isn't sustainable.
I have absolutely no doubt his game management skills are right up there but at this club I don't see them being that much more successful than Moyes.
We can improve this side of things without a manager that abandons all the stability this club has.

I understand where your coming from & I think many blues are scared to say they don't want mourinho as they will be labelled as not wanting to win trophies.

I also believe that for us to compete with for example man city moshiri's investment alone won't be enough we will need to balance additional funds with bringing through youngsters. Plus his initial investment won't continue season after season our off field ability to generate income will need to increase expediontally.

Also A lot of the youngsters people talk about who could break through & make a difference are amongst the first age groups to have trained At finch farm from day one at Everton & are widely acknowledged by people who know a lot more about our youth set up as our best age group for many years.

However if we have the chance to get mourinho we simply have to take it.
Yes his stock has fallen somewhat however this is the only reason there is any glimmer of hope of getting him.

He will raise our profile immediately this brings increased exposure & can help boost off field income etc he may also suprise a few & bring some youngsters through. He is extremely intelligent he will realise that we can't spend £200 million+ on transfers so will need to use every single potential asset at his disposal including youth. His job here is nothing like the Chelsea job it won't be an almost unlimited budget.

Apologies I'm rambling however my point is if there's a chance we 100% have to take it he could be the one to install a winning culture that disappeared along time ago.

It's not one thing or the other though. Transfer record or not he spent a fortune at the time for Chelsea and was bankrolled again at Madrid. He clearly maximised potential at Porto but they weren't exactly in our current position.
When faced with the challenge of overhauling Barca and with all the money in the world available to him he proved himself a one trick pony. And again this season at Chelsea he organised them to take a poor league last season but at the expense of even medium term progress.
I have absolutely no doubt his game management skills are right up there but at this club I don't see them being that much more successful than Moyes.
We can improve this side of things without a manager that abandons all the stability this club has.
At Madrid he won the league in his second season with a record number of wins, points and goals...finishing 9 points ahead of Barca for the first time in 4 years.

But don't let little things like facts get in the way mate.

In his last spell at Chelsea he spent less than £60m net.

Due to our abysmal showing in the league, our ability to attract top notch players this summer will be largely reliant on the profile of the manager and not our profile in the Premier League.

We therefore need a top level high profile manager to put together a squad capable of doing something special, irrespective of the money available.

There's only one man who fits that bill who's currently not in employment.
Appointments like Howe, Moyes and even Koeman wouldnt be good enough on that perspective.

We need to hit big.

Appointments like Howe, Moyes and even Koeman wouldnt be good enough on that perspective.

We need to hit big.
Exactly.

We need a top manager with a high profile not just a good manager, as we'll need their profile to assist with recruitment.

Otherwise we face a Kopite scenario of spending a kings ransom on players who aren't of a calibre that'll genuinely move you forwards.

Alex Ferguson spent big at United mate - and consistantly did so
Much of our own clubs success was built upon spending big and outpaying what our rivals did - we didn't get the mersey millionaires nickname for nothing.
Our current manager has paid out 3 of the 4 highest ever transfer fees paid by the club, and bought one player for double the transfer record for fees paid by us

Show me a manager who has managed Madrid or Chelsea and who hasn't spent a huge amount of money?

You make it sound like overhauling Barca is a simple task - your going to discount anyone who managed Madrid and lost out on titles to Barca then you are scratching off some very very good managers who failed, Anchelotti and Pelligrini being just two of them - also as Perez basically buys whatever players he wants at madrid and demands the manager makes them into a team - then i won't hold only winning the league 1 in 3 seasons their against him really...
As for Inter and Porto - don't think he actually spent a huge amount at either club and won the CL with both

You say stability mate - don't you mean stagnation, how exactly is this club prior to the takeover in any way shape or form a stable club - taking out loans to be able to operate, having to sell players to pay the banks, the very definition of a stability i wouldnt ever wish to see again.

As for Mourinho not doing any better than Myes would, it's a plainly ridisculous thing to say mate, one has won everywhere he has ever been including against all the odds with Porto and Inter, and one has never ever been a winner in any job he has ever had.

Chelsea this season became fractured and Hazzard - the player of the season in the league last year decided he couldnt be arsed - for either mourinho or hiddink - that alone would have wrecked any teams season mate

I understand that a lot of our supporters almost seem happy with our role in the grand scheme of the premier league circus, never challenging, never in danger, making up the numbers, but never getting our hopes up - so they can't be too dissapointed when we fall.

Honestly think if given the choice of doing what liverpool did in 13/14 or what we did, some of out fans would have chosen ourt season compared to theirs as we'd have seen the negatives not the positives of the ride.

Mourinho might not have the best record of giving youth a chance, but he does what it takes to win whether it's getting record goals scored or setting up for a draw at Anfield and coming back with a win (his celebrations that day sums up how much he despises them lot).

I think people are getting too hung up on his "three years and leave" CV. The 3 years he could give us would leave us in the Champions League, and if he leaves at that point then thanks Jose - you've done more for us in 3 years than what's happened in 30.

The chances of him even joining are slim but I haven't seen any good reasons why we wouldn't want him here. Would people prefer Eddie Howe? lol

I just hope Moshiri et al don't limit themselves with the kind of thinking that would prevent them at least sounding out "Tier 1" candidates (in my view these are Mourinho, Pellegrini, and Emery) and going for a safer option. For sure, Mourinho might exploit an approach by Everton and potentially leave us looking a little embarrassed, but so what? In that scenario, we could just deny we made an approach. It's all smoke and mirrors anyway.

On the other hand, we don't know his thinking, and he might be willing to sit down and have a serious discussion about where Everton are and where we are going. As Moshiri said himself, there has never been a more level playing field in the PL than now. The folks on Sunday Supplement or the 5 Live phone-in have no say in who we can approach.

They might decide that none of these names are preferable / available for good reasons or prefer someone else (the only names I regard as non-viable are Simeone and Tuchel) but Mourinho is out of work and Pellegrini is soon to be so.

The "takeover" will mean nothing at all if we are left looking at that awful word "realistic" options be it in appointing managers, buying players, improving or moving ground etc etc. Surely the whole point of investment has to be showing ambition, raising expectations, and challenging both internal and external perceptions of Everton as a whole. The media apply stereotypes and it is frustrating to listen to the ignorance and arrogance on display - but we pander to it consistently and have done for 25 years. The first step in recovering any sort of prestige we once had as a club is to think big, and then to act big.

From what has emerged so far or not since Moshiri entered the club dwells on me that we may well limp along for quite a few more years without any decisive action.

Mourinho might not have the best record of giving youth a chance, but he does what it takes to win whether it's getting record goals scored or setting up for a draw at Anfield and coming back with a win (his celebrations that day sums up how much he despises them lot).

I think people are getting too hung up on his "three years and leave" CV. The 3 years he could give us would leave us in the Champions League, and if he leaves at that point then thanks Jose - you've done more for us in 3 years than what's happened in 30.

The chances of him even joining are slim but I haven't seen any good reasons why we wouldn't want him here. Would people prefer Eddie Howe? lol
Mourinho wants the United job, and if offered it he'll jump at it.

However, not everyone at United sees him as being the right fit for them.

He's openly said he wants to stay in the PL and beyond United what are his options?

City - nope
Spurs - nope
Chelsea - nope
Arsenal - doubt they'll replace Wenger this summer and I can't see Mourinho being their chosen replacement
RS - nope

Which leaves who?

If United don't chuck LVG under the bus or decide that Mourinho is too big a risk, then we're a credible option for him, now Moshiri is on board

Ironically, our chances of landing him might rest on what happens in the FA cup, for more than one reason....

Mourinho wants the United job, and if offered it he'll jump at it.

However, not everyone at United sees him as being the right fit for them.

He's openly said he wants to stay in the PL and beyond United what are his options?

City - nope
Spurs - nope
Chelsea - nope
Arsenal - doubt they'll replace Wenger this summer and I can't see Mourinho being their chosen replacement
RS - nope

Which leaves who?

If United don't chuck LVG under the bus or decide that Mourinho is too big a risk, then we're a credible option for him, now Moshiri is on board

Ironically, our chances of landing him might rest on what happens in the FA cup, for more than one reason....

Exactly, the main reason that there is any chance (however slim) of him joining is the lack of options he has.

He loves the PL and I honestly think that if Mourinho was such a cert for Man United it would have been announced by now as their fans are far from happy with their current situation.

He'd only go for a job abroad if it was a huge one:
Real Madrid - no chance
Barca - even less chance
Bayern - no chance
PSG - possibly? But I think their current manager has done a great job and that he's likely to stay put.
The Italian sides - I can't imagine him going back to Italy.

I also believe that the chance to build up a club with money to spend and some great young players is something he wouldn't dismiss completely.

He's had a decade of constant pressure to win the title or CL every season, and we could offer him something he hasn't done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back