Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only it was 2 and a half years, not 1 season mate.

He's also not the highest net spending manager either. Hughes, Mancini and Pelligrini have all spent more net than Mourinho. Rodgers spent about the same net in his tenure at the pit, as Mourinho spent in his first spell at Chelsea.

Chelsea only ended up being mid table due to the players revolt that happened this season, triggered by the Doctor fiasco. They were the reigning champions btw mate.

Can't underestimate the effect that Hazzard had on that team by deciding he wanted to down tools as he wanted to move to Madrid or PSG either mate, imagine tthe effect it would have had on a Ferguson team should Ronaldo at the start of the season decide not to bother turning up to games once it was too late to do anything about

I don't think Mourinho would do any good here. He's used to buying ready made players. He chose to bring in Eto rather than give an exciting prospect of ROM a go. He also has a track record of only spending two seasons at a club then going elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it would be exciting at first. But it's a short term fix.

In Mourinho's defense, it wasn't his job to groom players, he was given a remit to win.

I Carnt see a manager not a big name anyhow saying no this time , the team has so much talent in them etc stones, Barkley, funes Mori , deulofeu and lukaku . Would they stay with a small name manager ,that's why we need a big name manager to grow the squad get rid off the deadwood and finally move forwards

In Mourinho's defense, it wasn't his job to groom players, he was given a remit to win.

Also Rom forced the issue in many ways by wanting guarantees of first team football mate, pretty sure he has pushed through the intial two loan deals from memory, after the second loan he basically wanted to start for Chelsea not be a back up - and looking at how Remy etc have gone - can't say he is a stupid boy for wanting to move onto another club.

Only it was 2 and a half years, not 1 season mate.

He's also not the highest net spending manager either. Hughes, Mancini and Pelligrini have all spent more net than Mourinho. Rodgers spent about the same net in his tenure at the pit, as Mourinho spent in his first spell at Chelsea.

Chelsea only ended up being mid table due to the players revolt that happened this season, triggered by the Doctor fiasco. They were the reigning champions btw mate.

Martinez's net spend is around £50m going off the first Google result I could find. The end results between the two are incomparable.

btw mourinho has had 2 seasons of failure in management, this season and the one when he got sacked the 1st time with Chelsea in 5th..otherwise finished the league 1st 8 times, 2nd 3 times and 3rd once in past 13 seasons...

I don't think Mourinho would do any good here. He's used to buying ready made players. He chose to bring in Eto rather than give an exciting prospect of ROM a go. He also has a track record of only spending two seasons at a club then going elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it would be exciting at first. But it's a short term fix.
Did you see ROMs touch last season?. He wasn't good enough for Chelsea and I still don't think he's rounded enough for a top team now, still got some work to do. He's great for us but you have to do more than slot to be at the top top teams.

I don't think for one minute it will happen but just to address the two main criticisms that seem to be levelled at Mourinho about academy players and spending record sums. They can undoubtedly be levelled at Martinez and you don't get the other benefits that Mourinho brings.

It might be a relatively short term thing (3 years), it might shake off the people's do goody club tag that we have (not a bad thing Uni) and it might mean all these groups of fans that think we are a sound bunch etc might not be so complimentary anymore.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that when he left we would be "relevant" again. Whether that be a trophy or champions league or the high quality players he'd sign while he was here.
I don't see the 3 years as a problem either.
Moshiri should tell him your target is to win the league mourinho would ordinarily respond with okay £300 million transfer funds please. The response will then be Leicester or Tottenham.

3 year deal with clause after 2 years no champions league then either side can look to terminate deal & then we start again.

Any appointment, for any team, involves risk, and instinct or gut feeling is as big a factor as any in filling a position. The right man only becomes the right man after time in the job. But, rather than picking names, I wonder what the job description would look like.
Personally, I'd want: someone no older than 55; tactically flexible; open to all methods of preparation and keen on fitness; a belief in passing football, but pragmatic; desire and ability to develop talent; knowledge of and good contacts within the game; willingness to buy into the club ethos; an overwhelming desire to win; experience of management.
My choice would be Emery.

Can't believe people are actually talking about Mourinho. There's not a chance he would consider Everton.
Even if by some miracle he would, it's too late, he's already going to United.

Can't believe people are actually talking about Mourinho. There's not a chance he would consider Everton.
Even if by some miracle he would, it's too late, he's already going to United.

It has been reported his appointment at Utd is not universally welcomed by important figures at the club. Now if, and it is a pretty big if, he doesn't go there, having stated his desire is to stay in England, who would be a better option for him than us out of clubs who will be looking for a new manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back