Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never knew that Koeman turns you on. Not coming from the UK exposes me to other countries' leagues such as Germany and Italy and to a lesser extent France and Spain. I am sure Emery, Favre, Garcia and a few Italian coaches will do a far better job than Koeman, Pellegrini or the British coaches mentioned. Obviously it is an asset having Premiership experience but it seems engaging Mourinho, Pocchetino or Wenger is difficult

We are in a vulnerable situation, we need new KEY players like defenders and goalkeepers. Our players are broken. I recken premiership experience is a must have asset this time around.
Managers who have no experience can be a massive gamble for us right unless they are top quality managers. I'm not convinced Emery would even talk to us, Jose is man u bound, never heard of Favre? Is he better than Koeman? The best Italian coaches are all in contracts, which one are we talking about?

My point is Koeman would be a good signing, if he was coming straight in from Holland then this would be OK? He got a better win rate then darling boy Frank on here.

I don't mind Koeman TBH I'd prefer him to Pellegrini, Jose was never going to happen, and RdB whilst my preference carries quite a large risk.
Koeman has done well at Southampton and would first and foremost bring a great deal of stability to the club. On the whole I think I'm quite happy if this turns out to be true

Many thanks to @The Esk for his information.

Of course we would all like Mourinho and with the exception of Pep and Simeone everyone else pales .

However lets get realistic.

Why would a world class manager come to Everton ? Because we now have a billionaire owner and a project. Yes well look at Newcastle and Villa.

In my opinion Koeman would be an excellent choice as the new manager.

Again , being realistic we are likely to lose Lukaku and Stones and need a manager who can demonstrate the ability to recruit and re build.

When Koeman started at Southampton he had the best players sold and was not given the full proceeds to recruit replacements.

Many pundits were saying they would go down but Koeman used his contacts , primarilly in Holland , to get good players at "reasonable " fees.

In all the circumstances they had a very good season and he has built on that again this season.

His teams play attractive football but with a solid defence.

He clearly commands respect and is not afraid to discipline and deal with players who fall out of line - see his treatment of Pelle this season.

I would like to think that here under the new ownership he will get the full amounts brought in from player sales together with our transfer kitty ( £35-40 million ?)

Some posters on here use the purchase of Shane Long as a stick to beat him with. He was bought as a squad player and cost less than Niasse. There are very few effective forwards that you can pick up to do a a very specific job ( he runs the channels , stretches the play ,brings players into the game and defends from the front but isn't a great goalscorer) at a cheaper price in today's market.

So in my opinion if we can't get Jose ,who would be everyone's first choice, Koeman is a very smart option and one that I would be very happy with.

The tantalising prospect of a Director of Football ( who the new manager must freely endorse ) with European and beyond contacts could elevate us to another level.

Last edited:

Many thanks to @The Esk for his information.

Of course we would all like Mourinho and with the exception of Pep and Simeone everyone else pales .

However lets get realistic.

Why would a world class manager come to Everton ? Because we now have a billionaire owner and a project. Yes well look at Newcastle and Villa.

In my opinion Koeman would be an excellent choice as the new manager.

Again , being realistic we are likely to lose Lukaku and Stones and need a manager who can demonstrate the ability to recruit and re build.

When Koeman started at Southampton he had the best players sold and was not given the full proceeds to recruit replacements.

Many pundits were saying they would go down but Koeman used his contacts , primarilly in Holland , to get good players at "reasonable " fees.

In all the circumstances they had a very good season and he has built on that again this season.

His teams play attractive football but with a solid defence.

He clearly commands respect and is not afraid to discipline and deal with players who fall out of line - see his treatment of Pelle this season.

I would like to think that here under the new ownership he will get the full amounts brought in together with our transfer kitty ( £35-40 million ?)

Some posters on here use the purchase of Shane Long as a stick to beat him with. He was bought as a squad player and cost less than Niasse. There are very few effective forwards that you can pick up to do a a very specific job ( he runs the channels , stretches the play ,brings players into the game and defends from the front but isn't a great goalscorer) at a cheaper price in today's market.

So in my opinion if we can't get Jose who would be everyone's first choice Koeman is a very smart option and one that I would be very happy with.

The tantalising prospect of a Director of Football ( who the new manager must freely endorse ) with European and beyond contact could elevate us to another level.

Great post. Shane long also just won player of the month for April so he must be doing something right and he also won it in December.

In the wake of all the talk of us thinking big again, one of the main criteria for me was whether the new manager was big enough to give us a good chance to retain our big names, no chance of that with Koeman IMO.

I seen this appointment as key to what the future holds and Koeman has took the wind right out of my sails.

If it turns out to be Koeman then the poor start Moshiri has had here will have gotten a whole lot worse for me. I mean we were all thinking it was high time we got a genuine quality manager and we go and get a manager who all you can say about him really is that 'yeah he's not bad'. Hope its all unfounded.

I'm not quite sure what makes people think that a top drawer manager is going to come to a perennial high mid table team that hasn't won anything for 21 years? I think views are somewhat distorted, we need to rebuild big time and for that you need foundations, which at this point we haven't got

Think about the teams we want to be competing with and then think whether they'd be happy with getting Koeman as manager. If we end up with him it's massively underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back