Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks to @The Esk for his information.

Of course we would all like Mourinho and with the exception of Pep and Simeone everyone else pales .

However lets get realistic.

Why would a world class manager come to Everton ? Because we now have a billionaire owner and a project. Yes well look at Newcastle and Villa.

In my opinion Koeman would be an excellent choice as the new manager.

Again , being realistic we are likely to lose Lukaku and Stones and need a manager who can demonstrate the ability to recruit and re build.

When Koeman started at Southampton he had the best players sold and was not given the full proceeds to recruit replacements.

Many pundits were saying they would go down but Koeman used his contacts , primarilly in Holland , to get good players at "reasonable " fees.

In all the circumstances they had a very good season and he has built on that again this season.

His teams play attractive football but with a solid defence.

He clearly commands respect and is not afraid to discipline and deal with players who fall out of line - see his treatment of Pelle this season.

I would like to think that here under the new ownership he will get the full amounts brought in from player sales together with our transfer kitty ( £35-40 million ?)

Some posters on here use the purchase of Shane Long as a stick to beat him with. He was bought as a squad player and cost less than Niasse. There are very few effective forwards that you can pick up to do a a very specific job ( he runs the channels , stretches the play ,brings players into the game and defends from the front but isn't a great goalscorer) at a cheaper price in today's market.

So in my opinion if we can't get Jose ,who would be everyone's first choice, Koeman is a very smart option and one that I would be very happy with.

The tantalising prospect of a Director of Football ( who the new manager must freely endorse ) with European and beyond contacts could elevate us to another level.
Well balanced post pal. I'm still in camp Jose, but your summary of Koeman is pretty good, including your opinion of Long. I'd have had him over Kone and Niasse. It would be interesting to see how Koeman could operate with a more flexible budget. We'll hopefully know soon enough.
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks @esk has thrown the Koeman bomb in to deflect attention from our ongoing negotiations with Mourinho:coffee:

I may as well put it out there. The manager most likely to succeed Martinez is Koeman. Not saying why I am saying that, but there it is.
It does strike a bit of a Martinez recruitment in ways of the most underwhelming out of the lot.

But he has done a a decent job considering he has sold nearly a full team and consistent European qualification is a positive as well.

Just saying though, it's not exactly promoting pushing for champions league anytime soon. I'd take being Europe again over what we have now so beggars can't be choosers.

Just hope you aren't spot on about it lol

What is people's issue with Koeman? The bloke when he took ver at Southampton had, had the complete spine of his team ripped out and were everyone's favourites for relegation. He moulded them with some astute signings and got them a place in Europe that first season. This season again he has made some sound signings and have them in 6th place again, all with the board willing to sell his top talent.

Our biggest problem is our defence and one thing Koeman knows about from his playing days and at Southampton is how to set them up.

I honestly think Koeman could do a great job for us. As for people saying our top players won't stay, after what I've watched this season I really couldn't give a toss

Great post. Shane long also just won player of the month for April so he must be doing something right and he also won it in December.

He won Southamptons player of the month. Like Niasse won it for his club.

Can you imagine Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc appointing Koeman? Or even West Ham? If we keep thinking like a mid table no mark then we'll keep being a mid table no mark.

Ronald. Koeman.

Not quite the "top class appointment" originally intimated.

I'm not shooting the messenger there btw, I appreciate all the info that's been given to us.

Keep Martinez.

What is people's issue with Koeman? The bloke when he took ver at Southampton had, had the complete spine of his team ripped out and were everyone's favourites for relegation. He moulded them with some astute signings and got them a place in Europe that first season. This season again he has made some sound signings and have them in 6th place again, all with the board willing to sell his top talent.

Our biggest problem is our defence and one thing Koeman knows about from his playing days and at Southampton is how to set them up.

I honestly think Koeman could do a great job for us. As for people saying our top players won't stay, after what I've watched this season I really couldn't give a toss
Your last point is spot on. New broom and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back