Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 more than they thrashed us by? mate, they should have beat us 8-0.

they had 34 shots on our goal, we were there but for the grace of God.

Which only reinforces how bad a result it was for Koeman.

We gave the worts derby performance I have ever seen, down to 10 men away at the pit in as low a point as I have seen us for a long time with players clearly not playing for the manager and those who are with one eye on the forthcoming semi final yet we still got away with a less humiliating scoreline then they did at home against a weakened RS side.

He'd be a massively underwhelming appointment.

Southampton are 6th mate. So, he us already exceeding your expectations. And he was 6th last season as well, so quite good so far.

As for money spent? Yes, he has also had to rebuild a team whilst spending this money all within a budget due to wages and fees. I'd like to see a manager come into a club, lose your left back, right back, midfielder, striker all at the same time and not struggle, thats pretty much what he did in his first season.

He is underwhelming I agree but at the same time how much of a gamble is any other managers mentioned? Fdb? Won the title on a two team league, and has benefitted from largely the youth academy. Avb? Not pushed on since Porto. Mourhino? Might leave first chance of a top job or not be a success rebuilding us. Pellegrini, could struggle to rebuild us.

We either have Martinez who is relegating us or we take a top 6 manager who k ow how to build a squad. I'd take a squad builder over relegation.

In his 3 jobs overseas:

Valencia the fans hated him and almost relegated
Benfica 3rd in a 3 horse race
Southampton rebuilt a team....

Hardly awe inspiring also at each Dutch club after the 1st season he usually goes downhill, also aftee returning from valencia and joining AZ he didnt even last 6months...

His signinga are not in anyway inspiring for me and when we play them i always feel we will win by a couple of goals...

Which only reinforces how bad a result it was for Koeman.

We gave the worts derby performance I have ever seen, down to 10 men away at the pit in as low a point as I have seen us for a long time with players clearly not playing for the manager and those who are with one eye on the forthcoming semi final yet we still got away with a less humiliating scoreline then they did at home against a weakened RS side.

He'd be a massively underwhelming appointment.

Like I said last night, after some of the names of "top class managers" a lot of people (me included) feel a bit "meh" about this.

That's basically because we all want Jose though isn't it?

All managers suffer the odd whipping, his performance over the last 2 years with Southampton has been very good, To say otherwise is foolish.

Took my words to heart I see?

¤ anyone but Martinez
¤ Im not hugely excited about Koeman
¤ I can be persuaded, though
¤ he seems to be no nonsense manager
¤ knows PL
¤ totally different mind set compared to Martinez presser after So'ton game showed it
¤ would be kind of a statement to snatch him out of there cause theyre thinking why would he go to EVERTON
¤ need more to totally embrace this

make up your mind flip flopper ;)

We need a change. Martinez is bs talker. Koeman would do. New start.
I can see what board might see in him. A long term manager with deep insight of the game and PL. So'ton has great academy as do we. Koeman could turn us very successful with Moshy. Jose would have been here year or two and would probs lost his marbles anyways.

Like I said last night, after some of the names of "top class managers" a lot of people (me included) feel a bit "meh" about this.

That's basically because we all want Jose though isn't it?

All managers suffer the odd whipping, his performance over the last 2 years with Southampton has been very good, To say otherwise is foolish.

I don't think it has been very good, I'd say he's been ok and kept them were they were despite players sales.

His record in cups and Europe (1 attempt) is very poor and his season only kicked in when the pressure was off as it pretty much used to for us under Moyes. Early on when there was everything to play for, he came up lacking.

In his 3 jobs overseas:

Valencia the fans hated him and almost relegated
Benfica 3rd in a 3 horse race
Southampton rebuilt a team....

Hardly awe inspiring also at each Dutch club after the 1st season he usually goes downhill, also aftee returning from valencia and joining AZ he didnt even last 6months...

His signinga are not in anyway inspiring for me and when we play them i always feel we will win by a couple of goals...

To say you would take Martinez over him though after the last few weeks especially is bordering on gross stupidity IMO.

Ah the good old Alpine van, good days. (boss cream soda)
Wonderful childhood memories! Used to get excited Saturday afternoons looking out the window waiting for the green Alpine truck.

Big glass bottles with every flavour under the sun from Coke to Dandelion and Burdock.

Used to love the big glass bottles of corona too particularly the cherryade.

Them were the days!

I can imagine Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal appointing Koeman he is respected in the game. Would it work? who know's everyone being mentioned is a gamble. Mouhrino would be a gamble, he's an arrogant fool, I wouldn't want him his ego is a concern. His treatment of the doctor was a disgrace and brought shame on that club and ruined their season from day 1, the guy's an idiot.
I wish people would stop mentioning West Ham too that's all we've had all season West Ham this West Ham that. First day of the season in August we go to their place (tax payers new place) and do them 4 nil and they get relegated next season. That would do for me.

You honestly think those clubs would hire koeman? No chance!!!

As for mourinho being an 'idiot' he's possibly the greatest manager in world football and other than this season his record cant be faulted.

I don't think it has been very good, I'd say he's been ok and kept them were they were despite players sales.

His record in cups and Europe (1 attempt) is very poor and his season only kicked in when the pressure was off as it pretty much used to for us under Moyes. Early on when there was everything to play for, he came up lacking.

Last season 7th and EL qualification after having to completely rebuild.

Now sat in 6th and you don't think he has done a good job?

erm ok!

I think we would be stupid to think Koeman wouldn't be on the list and considered down to the final stages. I can see from a board prospective why he would be interesting, rebuilding the team after losing his best players, two seasons of progression, some good signings. Would i be made up, no, would i be gutted, no. It would just be a ok appointment.

I still think there are plenty of twists to go with this, potentially starting with tonight game (UTD potentially getting 4th).

Until Martinez is gone and we see more coming out, i won't worry too much.....

Unless i see a picture of Jose coming out of the park end with Moshiri. Then i am going well and truly over the top...

jm_1731977a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back