Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In his 3 jobs overseas:

Valencia the fans hated him and almost relegated
Benfica 3rd in a 3 horse race
Southampton rebuilt a team....

Hardly awe inspiring also at each Dutch club after the 1st season he usually goes downhill, also aftee returning from valencia and joining AZ he didnt even last 6months...

His signinga are not in anyway inspiring for me and when we play them i always feel we will win by a couple of goals...
He is better than Martinez though. Thst is the benchmark. He has massively outperformed a lot of managers in two years.

So you expect better? West brom wouldn't turn their nose up at koeman, nor would Stoke, Swansea etc

And that is currently our level. And considering how bad things are currently, perhaps it's better we take a a manager who can least have us challenging for Europe again.

One would have thought with all of the championship manager in depth posts you make, that you would actually know a bit about football.

This kills that notion!

He's a below average manager.

Very poor at feyenoord, AZ, Benfica, Valencia
Ajax won the league then a disaster season, PSV was also not a great ending...

hes done a moyes at southampton and conceded 6 against liverpool....

Why on earth change manager if thats what we end up with??

Theres so many better managers out there.

Just to clarify, for reasons I am not going into Koeman is the most likely replacement. Jose is not out of the frame, but as a club we cannot put all our "eggs" in the "Jose basket" for obvious reasons.

Armed with a serious amount of cash, and given the task of rebuilding - let's be realistic, that's the task any incoming manager faces, the Martinez project is dead and we're likely to lose at least one of our "star" players in Lukaku, perhaps Stones as well - albeit receiving significant fees for both, Koeman is a pretty decent choice, and one who has the potential if not yet, the proven ability to become a winner.

I'm pretty certain that a revamped Everton squad, under Koeman would have be highly competitive in this year's PL, so why not in next year also?

There's also the very real prospect of a Director of Football being appointed, integrating all of the junior levels with the senior side - an extremely valuable asset if this proves to be the case.

I make no bones about it, Jose would still be my preferred option.

But if it's to be RK and a DoF to oversee all levels of the on-field activities, let's just hope that RK and the DoF have a great working relationship AND they're given sufficient time to talk to any disaffected players - Rom/JS - to see if they can be persuaded not to submit transfer requests.

They and others are contracted and if the new manager/DoF outline the 'new vision' for Everton then they could easily honour their existing contracts and who knows, help the club/team achieve what we all want together... Everton challenging for trophies on all fronts and aiming to win the league, not just looking for top 4.

Ronald Koeman spent three full seasons at Feyenoord before joining Southampton. They didn't win anything. They lost 20 league games in 3 seasons compared to Frank De Boer's 10 in the last 3 seasons, (or 19 league defeats since taking the Ajax job in 2010) and they went out (just like at Southampton) in the first attempt in European Competition each time 3 years runnung.

Frank De Boer has created stars, money for his club, brought through dozens of youngsters from his academy. Frank De Boer's biggest signing while delivering titles has been £4.5m, he has done a brilliant job and has turned down many offers and stayed loyal to Ajax, his net spend is something like -£60m.
Yes De Boer's record for last six years is better than Koeman no doubt about it. I would go for De Boer over Koeman but looks like we're playing it safe.

Koeman would be a good choice I think. Not awe inspiring but he's a good man, organised, has made some excellent signings, took over a team that had been utterly gutted and somehow has lead them to two seasons of good football and more importantly, good results.

Thumbs up from me. But just the one. Only Jose gets the two!

He's a below average manager.

Very poor at feyenoord, AZ, Benfica, Valencia
Ajax won the league then a disaster season, PSV was also not a great ending...

hes done a moyes at southampton and conceded 6 against liverpool....

Why on earth change manager if thats what we end up with??

Theres so many better managers out there.

Sorry about the insult mate, bit childish of me.

You know as well as I do that Martinez needs to go and he is a big improvement on him IMO.

Just to clarify, for reasons I am not going into Koeman is the most likely replacement. Jose is not out of the frame, but as a club we cannot put all our "eggs" in the "Jose basket" for obvious reasons.

Armed with a serious amount of cash, and given the task of rebuilding - let's be realistic, that's the task any incoming manager faces, the Martinez project is dead and we're likely to lose at least one of our "star" players in Lukaku, perhaps Stones as well - albeit receiving significant fees for both, Koeman is a pretty decent choice, and one who has the potential if not yet, the proven ability to become a winner.

I'm pretty certain that a revamped Everton squad, under Koeman would have be highly competitive in this year's PL, so why not in next year also?

There's also the very real prospect of a Director of Football being appointed, integrating all of the junior levels with the senior side - an extremely valuable asset if this proves to be the case.

I had turned in last night so only just seen this point.

Would this be manager dependant, or a change in the clubs perspective of doing things? I know some managers don't like to work with them, and some do.

So you would prefer us to be relegated then?

You happy with recent performances?

Happy with our worst home record in history?

I can promise you koeman would not do any of thst

Where did i say i would prefer us to be relegated?

Have you seen what he did to valencia? Even at AZ?

Look at his career closely, hes very underwhelming and i wouldnt bother changing managers if he was the only option.

Still though, its not as if we have the entie globe to choose from....

The part of the Esk's post last night that concerned me was the acceptance that a new manager will have to rebuild because one of if not both of Lukaku and Stones would likely be sold.

Previously he's mentioned a new man playing a part in not just player recruitment, but player retainment too.

Maybe he's heard something about that recently?

He is better than Martinez though. Thst is the benchmark. He has massively outperformed a lot of managers in two years.

So you expect better? West brom wouldn't turn their nose up at koeman, nor would Stoke, Swansea etc

And that is currently our level. And considering how bad things are currently, perhaps it's better we take a a manager who can least have us challenging for Europe again.

So you would be happy because
hes not martinez and stoke/swansea would take him?

i want better.

Ronald Koeman spent three full seasons at Feyenoord before joining Southampton. They didn't win anything. They lost 20 league games in 3 seasons compared to Frank De Boer's 10 in the last 3 seasons, (or 19 league defeats since taking the Ajax job in 2010) and they went out (just like at Southampton) in the first attempt in European Competition each time 3 years runnung.

Frank De Boer has created stars, money for his club, brought through dozens of youngsters from his academy. Frank De Boer's biggest signing while delivering titles has been £4.5m, he has done a brilliant job and has turned down many offers and stayed loyal to Ajax, his net spend is something like -£60m.

I get what you are saying re De Boer but at Everton if its true we have a new found wealth, its going to be a different kettle of fish completely for De Boer. Will he be able to keep the top stars happy? Will he be able to go out and spend big money on decent players rather than penny pinching and rebuilding a squad?

I think people under estimate how big a job it is going to be at Everton this season and going forward. There is alot to sort out on the playing side and getting a right balance.

It would be great to get a Jose etc but we need to be realistic, even with 'our' new found wealth its going to take a couple of years imo for prospective top managers to see this and realise we are a team going places that they will want to be a part of, at the moment we are mid table, no european football with a few decent players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back