Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your saying we have a top 6 squad. I'm sayin first season in top 6 would be a major improvement on what we have done.
No manager guarantees success . It's all a risk

It's quite evident that we do not have a better squad compared to the likes of...
  1. Manchester City
  2. Manchester United
  3. Chelsea
  4. Arsenal
  5. Liverpool
  6. Tottenham
  7. West Ham
Anyone that says otherwise is deluded.

It's quite evident that we do not have a better squad compared to the likes of...
  1. Manchester City
  2. Manchester United
  3. Chelsea
  4. Arsenal
  5. Liverpool
  6. Tottenham
  7. West Ham

Would you not say we have a better squad then West Ham? Tinted glasses a side, i would say we hold up pretty well against the WH squad. The rest i would probably agree with, and i swing with the RS squad sometimes not sure.

Would you not say we have a better squad then West Ham? Tinted glasses a side, i would say we hold up pretty well against the WH squad. The rest i would probably agree with, and i swing with the RS squad sometimes not sure.

Lets go down the XIs.

1. Adrian - on par with Joel.
  2. Byram - Not seen enough of to form an opinion.
  3. Cresswell - on current form, better than Baines.
  4. Reid - on current form, better than Stones.
  5. Ogbonna - Jagielka is better.
  6. Noble - On par with Barry.
  7. Kouyate - Better than McCarthy.
  8. Payet - Better than Barkley.
  9. Carroll - Lukaku is better.
  10. Lanzini - Better than Lennon.
  11. Antonio - Better than Cleverley.

The delusion in this thread from some is unbelievable lol.

People need to realise where we are as a club. We're a great club with a great history, loyal and large fanbase, with some good young players. However, we have been also rans for 20-30 years and regardless of what we've done in our past, we will not be attracting the likes of Jose Mourinho.

Who do people think we are now we've got Moshiri? He's about the 9th richest owner in the league, he's not Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. In terms of where we are in the current era for size of club, i'd say we're comfortably in 7th position, but Leicester are now more attractive with being the title winners and Southampton are probably similar, although have out performed us in the past 2 seasons.

So regarding who will be wanting to manage us, we won't be getting a tier 1 manager like a Mourinho or Simeone. They've managed clubs recently who have won the title, got to European Cup finals etc which Everton have either not done for 30 years, or haven't done at all.

Koeman, De Boer etc are our level. We need to show ambition and we need to get back to where we belong, but it's not going to happen overnight and talk of managers that have recently managed CL clubs/winners is not going to happen.

1. Manchester City
  2. Manchester United
  3. Chelsea
  4. Arsenal
  5. Liverpool
  6. Tottenham
  7. West Ham
You can discuss this with Ranieri...

I think you'll find more people than you'd think would object to Bilic, the man who, using his legal knowledge, found loopholes to refuse to play for Everton through "injury" when we needed decent defenders, got paid by the club and still turned out for Croatia at the same time.

Hi. Your post implies Bilic claimed injury for Everton and played for Croatia at the same time. Bilic never turned out for Croatia while 'injured' for Everton. After the 1998 World Cup, he missed every Croatia Euro 2000 qualifier while injured for Everton. He turned out for Croatia a few times and Hadjuk Split a few times after leaving Everton. But he basically retired through injury after leaving Everton
He had a contract of £27k a week and Everton were trying to push him out. Everton paid him £1m to cut his contract short, and saved money by doing this.

I do not understand hating a player for being injured. Or for receiving money while injured. It's the norm.

Based on this season we could go player for player and the majority of the time it would be a west ham player that wins. Although we could do that with Tranmere at the moment and tranmere's players will come out on top

Lets go down the XIs.

1. Adrian - on par with Joel.
  2. Byram - Not seen enough of to form an opinion.
  3. Cresswell - on current form, better than Baines.
  4. Reid - on current form, better than Stones.
  5. Ogbonna - Jagielka is better.
  6. Noble - On par with Barry.
  7. Kouyate - Better than McCarthy.
  8. Payet - Better than Barkley.
  9. Carroll - Lukaku is better.
  10. Lanzini - Better than Lennon.
  11. Antonio - Better than Cleverley.

If we are basing this on current form then our squad doesn't hold up against the top 11 in the premier league.

If we are basing this on the players they are, we have a better squad, imo. Payet is having the season of his life, Lanzini was another unknown coming to the league - how many times have we seen these players come in have a good season then drop off? If they replicate next season then maybe ill agree, but right now the squad as a whole has a lot of first seasoners who may or may not replicate the form next season.

In my opinion i think we should be challenging the top 7 - with ease.

But thats just my opinion - as a club we are failing miserably.

Slight edit - Payet is obviously a good player, but i always just worry about first season syndrome with some players coming both through the ranks and coming into the league - we have all seen it before, including at our club.

Based on this season we could go player for player and the majority of the time it would be a west ham player that wins. Although we could do that with Tranmere at the moment and tranmere's players will come out on top

I think thats my point, i don't think we can go on this season because we have been a failure, there isn't any other way to sugar coat it.

If we are talking about players and ability, i think we still come out ontop.

He is better than Martinez though. Thst is the benchmark. He has massively outperformed a lot of managers in two years.

So you expect better? West brom wouldn't turn their nose up at koeman, nor would Stoke, Swansea etc

And that is currently our level. And considering how bad things are currently, perhaps it's better we take a a manager who can least have us challenging for Europe again.

The reality is though "better than Martinez" is not our only benchmark. Currently there are probably 18 managers in the PL who are better than Martinez. Moyes is better than him.

The key point in this, is to note the change at board level. Had Moshiri been around 3 years ago I doubt we'd have got Martinez. So I take it as red that we should be attracting a manager better than him. I think what we would like to see this summer is a real statement of intent. Of course Swansea & Stoke wouldn't say no to Koeman but again that does slightly miss the point, that we are trying to make a statement and as a fanbase begin to accept the idea we are bigger than Stoke and West Brom.

For a lot of fans that means mocking the above teams, or talking about our great history. However to really be a big club we do have to start thinking how a big clubs fans do, and that means having targets that go beyond "is he better than Wigan's ex manager" or "is he good enough for Stoke, Swansea or West Brom". Fans can't have it both ways. Complain about irrelevance in the eyes of the media, but in their own minds lump us in with those clubs.

As it happens I am not that anti-Koeman. None of the above necessarily discounts him but I do think as fans we need to shift our arguments somewhat. To be fair to Moshiri it could be that he is after better managers and they have turned us down. In all fairness to him if that's the case there is not an awful lot he can do. I would rather we tried to Mourinho and got knocked back than not bothering.

Remember City's first appointment was Mark Hughes. They then went to Mancini and Pellegrini before eventually getting the very best. Mourinho being available for us may have distorted the market a little. Normally we would have no chance of him, but circumstances have given us a glimmer of hope.

As for Koeman I think his work at Southampton has been very good. I think he'd be an ok fit for us. he has worked with a similar squad to ours and outperformed us while having to rebuild. He has shown some ability to bring players through. His record abroad is hit and miss, some successes and some failures. He is a big name player and will probably help us in bigger games. On the downside managing Southampton is a long way away from managing where Everton want to be. He is a steady choice but the rewards are not as great as Mourinho, or indeed the next rung down of De Boer, Emery or Tuchel.

I can only hope, if we get Koeman that it is alongside a change in approach that sees Everton managers having a job for life. If we progress how we ought to progress, with the sort of funding he may have Koeman to date hasn't shown me too much to show he can be a top manager. All we can hope, is if he stabilises us similar to how Moyes did and hits a ceiling that we would move him on and "upgrade" similar to how Citry have done.

The only final point I would make would be, in the eyes of the media and the wider world it would be a big statement. For us to take Southamptons manager would indicate a level of ambition that we haven't seen for 20 years. Taking a side who finished above us twice and are in the top 8 is something we haven't done in 2 decades. That does give me some confidence.

Esk has indicated there have been talks with more than 1 manager. It may be he comes across best. He's not my number 1 choice and I would be underwhelmed but not dejected with him. I think he will do a solid job but do worry we'd hit a ceiling and can only hope if that happens he will be moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back