Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The delusion in this thread from some is unbelievable lol.

People need to realise where we are as a club. We're a great club with a great history, loyal and large fanbase, with some good young players. However, we have been also rans for 20-30 years and regardless of what we've done in our past, we will not be attracting the likes of Jose Mourinho.

Who do people think we are now we've got Moshiri? He's about the 9th richest owner in the league, he's not Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. In terms of where we are in the current era for size of club, i'd say we're comfortably in 7th position, but Leicester are now more attractive with being the title winners and Southampton are probably similar, although have out performed us in the past 2 seasons.

So regarding who will be wanting to manage us, we won't be getting a tier 1 manager like a Mourinho or Simeone. They've managed clubs recently who have won the title, got to European Cup finals etc which Everton have either not done for 30 years, or haven't done at all.

Koeman, De Boer etc are our level. We need to show ambition and we need to get back to where we belong, but it's not going to happen overnight and talk of managers that have recently managed CL clubs/winners is not going to happen.

Stop talking sense mate it'll get you nowhere.

People pipe up with "we need to think big, it's this attitude why we are where we are" when in reality it's not. We'd all love a Mourinho or Simeone but the harsh fact us whether people like it or not we cannt attract a manager of this ilk. People also saying we're billionaires and we've got money to spend so Jose will defo come :lol: the amount we'll probably have for our whole transfer budget including wages, agent fees etc Jose would piss up the wall on 2 players at Chelsea or Madrid etc.

We're a mid table club at the minute with a decent history behind us, our ground is falling apart around our ears, our board have done nothing to i still confidence in the fans and Moshiri as of yet is a total unknown quantity. It'll take years for us to rebuild to anywhere ner a top 4 challenge on a regular basis and this "best squad in 30 years" nonesense?? Howard, Kone, Mcgeady, Niasse, Cleverly, Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar.. Need I go on? We've got some decent young talent but we don't have any world class players in the side, not a single one.

I don't get why people are so against Koeman but love the idea of De Boer. Koeman has won the Eredivisie with two different teams as well as winning cups in different countries too, he's got Southampton doing better than ever before, beaten teams in the top 4 away from home and smashed smaller teams 8 or 9-0. And remember that's with Southampton. He's obviously not Mourinho but he's a very good manager, and one that's been linked to the Arsenal job too.

De Boer has potential but the Ajax fans want him gone, Southampton fans are in love with Koeman.

I don't get why people are so against Koeman but love the idea of De Boer. Koeman has won the Eredivisie with two different teams as well as winning cups in different countries too, he's got Southampton doing better than ever before, beaten teams in the top 4 away from home and smashed smaller teams 8 or 9-0. And remember that's with Southampton. He's obviously not Mourinho but he's a very good manager, and one that's been linked to the Arsenal job too.

De Boer has potential but the Ajax fans want him gone, Southampton fans are in love with Koeman.
well said
De Boer is a bluffer in the extreme

The reality is though "better than Martinez" is not our only benchmark. Currently there are probably 18 managers in the PL who are better than Martinez. Moyes is better than him.

The key point in this, is to note the change at board level. Had Moshiri been around 3 years ago I doubt we'd have got Martinez. So I take it as red that we should be attracting a manager better than him. I think what we would like to see this summer is a real statement of intent. Of course Swansea & Stoke wouldn't say no to Koeman but again that does slightly miss the point, that we are trying to make a statement and as a fanbase begin to accept the idea we are bigger than Stoke and West Brom.

For a lot of fans that means mocking the above teams, or talking about our great history. However to really be a big club we do have to start thinking how a big clubs fans do, and that means having targets that go beyond "is he better than Wigan's ex manager" or "is he good enough for Stoke, Swansea or West Brom". Fans can't have it both ways. Complain about irrelevance in the eyes of the media, but in their own minds lump us in with those clubs.

As it happens I am not that anti-Koeman. None of the above necessarily discounts him but I do think as fans we need to shift our arguments somewhat. To be fair to Moshiri it could be that he is after better managers and they have turned us down. In all fairness to him if that's the case there is not an awful lot he can do. I would rather we tried to Mourinho and got knocked back than not bothering.

Remember City's first appointment was Mark Hughes. They then went to Mancini and Pellegrini before eventually getting the very best. Mourinho being available for us may have distorted the market a little. Normally we would have no chance of him, but circumstances have given us a glimmer of hope.

As for Koeman I think his work at Southampton has been very good. I think he'd be an ok fit for us. he has worked with a similar squad to ours and outperformed us while having to rebuild. He has shown some ability to bring players through. His record abroad is hit and miss, some successes and some failures. He is a big name player and will probably help us in bigger games. On the downside managing Southampton is a long way away from managing where Everton want to be. He is a steady choice but the rewards are not as great as Mourinho, or indeed the next rung down of De Boer, Emery or Tuchel.

I can only hope, if we get Koeman that it is alongside a change in approach that sees Everton managers having a job for life. If we progress how we ought to progress, with the sort of funding he may have Koeman to date hasn't shown me too much to show he can be a top manager. All we can hope, is if he stabilises us similar to how Moyes did and hits a ceiling that we would move him on and "upgrade" similar to how Citry have done.

The only final point I would make would be, in the eyes of the media and the wider world it would be a big statement. For us to take Southamptons manager would indicate a level of ambition that we haven't seen for 20 years. Taking a side who finished above us twice and are in the top 8 is something we haven't done in 2 decades. That does give me some confidence.

Esk has indicated there have been talks with more than 1 manager. It may be he comes across best. He's not my number 1 choice and I would be underwhelmed but not dejected with him. I think he will do a solid job but do worry we'd hit a ceiling and can only hope if that happens he will be moved on.
Excellent post and sums up exactly how I feel. The top managers in Europe are Guardiola, Simeone, Ancelotti, Mourinho - of them only Mourinho is available. The next level down are Emery, Conte, Allegri etc. We've targeted Mourinho which is fair enough but after that we seemed to have missed out a number of managers to land at Koemann, whose hasn't really outperformed in his managerial career. It just seems like taking a safe, steady option.

Preferring the current manager is preferring relegation. Have you seen recent performances to think otherwise? Whereas koeman is sitting 6th in the league again.

I'm saying right now we are no better than them clubs so therefore the level of manager is the same expectations. So yeah, I'd be happy to going back to Europe again, winning more games and not being relegated.

You want better, because you enjoy playing football manager on here. In reality if we can convince a better manager to come then fantastic, but otherwise koeman is a pretty good manager to bring in considering the direction we are going in

This is the Everton Forum.

This is not the West Brom Forum.

Us.. UTD... or INDONESIA........... (from the BBC)

Indonesia want to appoint Jose Mourinho as head coach, according to the country's sports minister. Yes, Indonesia.

Ranked 185th in the world, Indonesia have been banned from international competition since last year over government interference in football.

Sports minister Imam Nahrawi says he has discussed a deal for the ex-Chelsea boss - thought to cost £13m per year - with Indonesian President Joko Widodo.

Since being sacked by Chelsea, Mourinho has been linked with Manchester United.

I liked the Esk message about legacy. A real chance for a top manager to come in and create something huge (appeal to the ego) That is how Moshiri could attract Mourinho, comparing to Arsenal and Wenger. He won't get that at Man Utd or any other of the glory clubs. At Man Utd he will never be the greatest manager they have ever had.
If this is what Mourinho and Pellegrini are looking for we have a chance.
If Koeman is favourite -it is because, unlike Pellegrini and Mourinho, we are probably the only club who would be interested in him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back