Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why people are so against Koeman but love the idea of De Boer. Koeman has won the Eredivisie with two different teams as well as winning cups in different countries too, he's got Southampton doing better than ever before, beaten teams in the top 4 away from home and smashed smaller teams 8 or 9-0. And remember that's with Southampton. He's obviously not Mourinho but he's a very good manager, and one that's been linked to the Arsenal job too.

De Boer has potential but the Ajax fans want him gone, Southampton fans are in love with Koeman.

Big fan of this post. I'm also impressed by his rebuild job at Southampton after that squad was ripped apart, only for them to come back just as strong as before, if not stronger. Also an ex-Barca player/coach so knows a thing or two about winning. Clearly very well respected within the game.

So what if he looks like a milk-fed veal calf taking its first steps into the sunlight. He's a marked improvement on what we have, make no mistake.

Big fan of this post. I'm also impressed by his rebuild job at Southampton after that squad was ripped apart, only for them to come back just as strong as before, if not stronger. Also an ex-Barca player/coach so knows a thing or two about winning. Clearly very well respected within the game.

So what if he looks like a milk-fed veal calf taking its first steps into the sunlight. He's a marked improvement on what we have, make no mistake.

I agree with all of that, but being a marked improvement on what we have might not be enough in itself. I'm sure that Moshiri wants to make a pitch at the top 4 and not just having solid annual finishes in the 6th to 8th bracket. If as Everton fans we can handle Koeman to take us forward for a couple of seasons, finishing in that bracket and then someone else takes us on after that to aim higher, then fine. Just shows what a wasted two seasons we have had under RM.

Just to clarify, for reasons I am not going into Koeman is the most likely replacement. Jose is not out of the frame, but as a club we cannot put all our "eggs" in the "Jose basket" for obvious reasons.

Armed with a serious amount of cash, and given the task of rebuilding - let's be realistic, that's the task any incoming manager faces, the Martinez project is dead and we're likely to lose at least one of our "star" players in Lukaku, perhaps Stones as well - albeit receiving significant fees for both, Koeman is a pretty decent choice, and one who has the potential if not yet, the proven ability to become a winner.

I'm pretty certain that a revamped Everton squad, under Koeman would have be highly competitive in this year's PL, so why not in next year also?

There's also the very real prospect of a Director of Football being appointed, integrating all of the junior levels with the senior side - an extremely valuable asset if this proves to be the case.

Thanks for the information mate. Out of interest on the DoF role, and appreciate the constraints/limitations that apply with giving information, is there a specific individual under consideration for this role or, as with the manager position, more than one name being considered?

Would the club envisage a Director of Football to play a role in transfer policy, working alongside the manager?

Thanks.

Renato Sanches, Jorge Mendes client has just signed for Bayern.
He was supposed to be going to UTD with Jose...

Stars aligning?

Excellent post and sums up exactly how I feel. The top managers in Europe are Guardiola, Simeone, Ancelotti, Mourinho - of them only Mourinho is available. The next level down are Emery, Conte, Allegri etc. We've targeted Mourinho which is fair enough but after that we seemed to have missed out a number of managers to land at Koemann, whose hasn't really outperformed in his managerial career. It just seems like taking a safe, steady option.

I would like to see us target Tuchel or Emery to be honest and failing that as I've been keen to say De Boer. However there is little to suggest that Tuchel or Emery would be in any way interested in us. In many ways I think De Boer are Koeman are in a similar league. De Boers record is more impressive but Koeman has a broader range of experience and has managed in the PL. He is the safer manager no doubt.

I can see two positions developing with Koeman which I disagree with. One will be the anti-Martinez position of uncritical acceptance. Backed up by the idea that we are a lower half team and should be pleased with what we have. I still believe we could get a more glamorous manager and we shouldn't stifle all criticism of him. More importantly though we need to drop the idea we are just another Stoke. If we think like that we'll always be another Stoke.

The second seems to be the idea he is terrible and we should be on his back from day 1. He may not be Mourinho, and for me he's not as exciting as De Boer but he is also no mug. He has shown he can manage effectively at a variety of teams.

I will try to take a position between those two. Giving Moshiri time (and whoever the new manager is) and not presuming it is the same as Kenwright. Not expecting us to become a top club in the space of 6 months. At the same time wanting to see us heading in the direction of being a top club and holding people to account for it, but in a realistic manner.

Thanks for the information mate. Out of interest on the DoF role, and appreciate the constraints/limitations that apply with giving information, is there a specific individual under consideration for this role or, as with the manager position, more than one name being considered?

Would the club envisage a Director of Football to play a role in transfer policy, working alongside the manager?

Thanks.

Good post mate. I am very interested in hearing of the DOF role. I think it would be a big development for how Everton are managed going forward. I think our biggest mistake of the last 20 years was not getting Cruyff in as a DOF in 98 to work above Kendall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back