NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't really been following this story that closely the last couple of days. But what I do know is that Flores did a proper good job in Miami and imo should never have been fired. Still don't understand it.
The match fixing is the biggest thing for me

We now have 2 ex-head coaches coming out saying their teams owners attempted to bribe them to lose games.

The tip of the iceberg for me - the fact that its taken this long to come out suggests there’s more stuff buried.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I don't think Flores settles here. For him to make the decision to sue, just at the beginning of the prime of his NFL coaching career, shows me he's in this for integrity reasons. If he wanted a payday he'd simply coach in the NFL somewhere as a coordinator short term, and likely as a head coach later.

I think the gloves are off. This is going to discovery, which will shake the NFL to its core.

Their idiodic statement yesterday about his complaint having no merit, after like 3 hours, I think is gasoline on that fire as well

Let's hope it reaches this level, but the NFL can burn money and most viewers will forget this happened in a few months (and some will voice their animosity against Flores and his supporters.) The median NFL viewer really reaches toolpusher (to use a local idiom) levels of intellectual and emotional engagement very quickly.

The match fixing is the biggest thing for me

We now have 2 ex-head coaches coming out saying their teams owners attempted to bribe them to lose games.

The tip of the iceberg for me - the fact that its taken this long to come out suggests there’s more stuff buried.
Given the way the current rules are structured where it’s a straight race to the bottom for draft picks, it’s kind of shocking that an owner would need to tell them that. Once you’re out of the playoff race, every win sabotages the franchise’s future. I’m not sure what the solution is, but when you intentionally set up a system that actively rewards failure, you can’t be upset when teams actively try to fail.

Given the way the current rules are structured where it’s a straight race to the bottom for draft picks, it’s kind of shocking that an owner would need to tell them that. Once you’re out of the playoff race, every win sabotages the franchise’s future. I’m not sure what the solution is, but when you intentionally set up a system that actively rewards failure, you can’t be upset when teams actively try to fail.
I don’t think we can look at those cases in strict isolation though - the wider issue is that money is changing hands to influence games. If it’s being done by the team owners no less in this case, then it could quite easily be done at specific points for other more nefarious reasons by various actors.

And to your point as to why money ‘needs’ to be offered to tank, it’s fairly obvious - many players and coaches wouldn’t automatically co-operate either with or without bribery as poor stats and losses damage their careers and future contracts which is understandably far more important to them than the team having a high draft pick.

With millions on the line for these players and coaches simply ‘tanking’ for draft position isn’t as straightforward as you might think.

Last edited:
A Head Coach who was incsentivized to tank but decided to win anyway kind of puts a kink in this idea that things are fixed.

It does, however, shines a massive light on wrongful termination.
No not really.

No coach is going to easily jeapordise his future by losing a series of games for a teams draft pick. Players won’t either.

But what it DOES show is that money has been offered, which shows it’s not taboo as a potential means of directing the outcome of a game.

And in a different spot, where it doesn’t matter so much in a long term financial basis - say in a specific individual game - the outcome of an attempted bribe or bribes by a variety of actors to players, coaches or officials, might very well be different.

It’s absolutely terrifying.

How does this compare to prices at a run of the mill game ?

That’s the resale market, which unlike the UK, is a complete Wild West of capitalism. As best I can find, face value for the tickets ranges between $1000 and $3500, so you’ve some people out there trying to turn as much as a $30k profit per ticket.

This is interesting. The last major US sport I can recall forcing an owner out was the NBA with Donald Sterling, with the time before that being Marge Schott in the '90s (and she was merely suspended like Steinbrenner, she just chose to sell). I seem to recall the NFL always closing ranks, they have on Snyder any number of times before, and Goodell is about the last guy I would want running an honest inquiry.

That said, the rest of the owners may be tired of the black eye Snyder keeps giving them at this point.

This is interesting. The last major US sport I can recall forcing an owner out was the NBA with Donald Sterling, with the time before that being Marge Schott in the '90s (and she was merely suspended like Steinbrenner, she just chose to sell). I seem to recall the NFL always closing ranks, they have on Snyder any number of times before, and Goodell is about the last guy I would want running an honest inquiry.

That said, the rest of the owners may be tired of the black eye Snyder keeps giving them at this point.
Was Richardson (Panthers) forced out? I forget the exact circumstances, but seem to remember him being involved in a number of controversies.
I live just outside of DC—-oh, the rejoicing that would ensue if Snyder were to be forced out

Was Richardson (Panthers) forced out? I forget the exact circumstances, but seem to remember him being involved in a number of controversies.
I live just outside of DC—-oh, the rejoicing that would ensue if Snyder were to be forced out
Richardson got out in front of it with the sale, so we'll never know.

Snyder is loathed by his team's fanbase at a Norman Braman level.

A Head Coach who was incsentivized to tank but decided to win anyway kind of puts a kink in this idea that things are fixed.

It does, however, shines a massive light on wrongful termination.
he came out in a press conference early last season when they were really bad and angrily said we are not tanking. I don't even think anyone asked him that question.

he knew the deal, he was there to be the fall guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back