Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's impossible, but I do think the euphoria is very optimistic if Rom is sold, it's a massive loss far more then anything we have recruited so far.

Klassen and Sandro have done well in other leagues not this league and both are very young, it's concerning that given that I expierence and risk we rely on them for 25 goals. Of course everyone hopes they are both gems, but it's a massive risk.

I have no problem with Pickford or Keane.

I will also say this, it's concerning that this spree could be of the back of cashing in on Rom, from a business perspective. It's loosening gaurenteed quality, for hopes and just diluting the squad. Filling other holes by creating others. I haven't seen progress yet, when City or Chelsea gained spending power they didn't sell their best players they built around them and added quality.

So far what we have seen in the big windows, is the selling of key players on an upward trajectory and dilution of the squad.

I'm sorry but big statements have been made by the club about a,bition the narrative has all been about cracking the top 4 and big recruitment. If you create expectation you will be judged on it. Nuts and bolts we have sold/selling undoubted quality and added very good players, but some who carry a risk of not living up to the demands of this league.

I remain to be convinced of the new era spending power, or the overall quality of the squad improving based on what we are selling and buying, long way to go I'm the window I accept. But as the crow flies.

If Lukaku is sold, he will need replacing, he hasnt yet been replaced, the signings we have made have filled holes in the squad, we still have holes in the squad, clearly if Lukaku leaves we have a HUGE hole to fill, but I personally think it will be filled. Im not naive, this is not my first transfer window, under this ownership or the old, I watched what happened last season, not a great deal if im totally honest, but this, this is all seems different.

Time will judge this window, people need to stop thinking "Lukaku money" and start thinking "squad building".

1 utter fruitcake Martinez, but his comments regarding windows have always stuck with me, the idea must ALWAYS be to leave the window in better shape than you left it, last year we sold Stones, sadly the bulk of the money was spent on a player who get injured, but I think we left that window stronger personally, the winter window we defo left stronger. And so far this window, we are on the verge of signing 5 players, with 2 months of the window left.

Lets see what we do with the "Lukaku money" and lets see if we leave the window stronger.

Not really, we dont even need to score loads of goals, 1 a week is enough to win every game........

I want golazo's FFS...this ain't boring, boring Everton.

BAINES-FK-2.gif

If Lukaku is sold, he will need replacing, he hasnt yet been replaced, the signings we have made have filled holes in the squad, we still have holes in the squad, clearly if Lukaku leaves we have a HUGE hole to fill, but I personally think it will be filled. Im not naive, this is not my first transfer window, under this ownership or the old, I watched what happened last season, not a great deal if im totally honest, but this, this is all seems different.

Time will judge this window, people need to stop thinking "Lukaku money" and start thinking "squad building".

1 utter fruitcake Martinez, but his comments regarding windows have always stuck with me, the idea must ALWAYS be to leave the window in better shape than you left it, last year we sold Stones, sadly the bulk of the money was spent on a player who get injured, but I think we left that window stronger personally, the winter window we defo left stronger. And so far this window, we are on the verge of signing 5 players, with 2 months of the window left.

Lets see what we do with the "Lukaku money" and lets see if we leave the window stronger.

Im realistic in the sense I know we are a third of the way through this window, it's dynamic and if Rom leaves I've said we need two prolific scorers and an attacking midfielder who can hit double figures.

The tone of the forum has been euphoric, but all we have done so far is sold Stones and possibly Rom and Barkley and spent little on top in the windows should it happen.. If the former happens we are just making holes to fill holes. I'm just being realistic and not purposely pessimistic.

We have been told about top four ambitions and an expectation has been set, yet we sold Stones and could sell Lukaku and Barkley to teams directly in competition with us for those places. What does that tell us about our ambitition.

I'm not dismissing any player we have recruited, what I am saying is our recruitment so far has been done of the back of lost gaurenteed quality, we have recruited very young players offensively with nothing more then high hopes with no expierence or pedigree in this league. It's a massive risk.

I haven't seen the massive spending power of the back of anything else but sales so far with s hit on top, thus far we have completed to nuts and bolts signing in Pickford and Keane and two very risky signings in Sandro and Kalssen when they all eventually do sign.

Big question marks on those recruitment/selling decisions and the spending power of the club which has just been mainly through sales thus far.

As the crow flies, the squad is weaker if we loose Rom, but I'm prepared to wait until the end of the window. My point is the general narrative of euphoria is misled presently, there is a lot of cause for concern if Rom leaves in my opinion.

Last edited:
So far I'm uninspired by what's come in or purported to be arriving apart from Keane, who I think is a genuine big step up from the CBs we have.

You seem to be arguing two things though:

1/ "net spend means little"
2/ "dont worry, the net spend will be massive because what comes in from this point in terms of sales will also be spent"
Surely you understand Dave that we can't sign world class players yet because we don't have that standing in the current game?

And Net spend is a total fruitless arguement now due to the enormous amounts of money about!

And this is the issue; the club just can't win in your eyes. If Lukaku and Barkley signed new deals this week you'd just switch tack and say Koeman is wasting the club's money because you know better than all of the people we actually pay to look for players.

Waah waah we are spending too much on the wrong players.

Waah waah we aren't spending enough on players.

Waah waah we always have to wait until the SKY money lands before we can buy anyone.

Waah waah we are only buying players early because we are going to sell some others.

You show no consistency in your approach and yet have the audacity to dig at other posters claiming they aren't intelligent enough to keep up with you. I don't know why you are so desperate for Everton to be eternally rubbish but you seem to resent any effort the club makes to better itself. It is absolutely baffling.
This.

We are paying the fees that clubs demand to get the players we want. It's the kind of ambitious thing you said only a few pages back we need to do to try and keep our best players. You've literally proved my point about the club not being able to win in whatever they do.
Yep he's a total wind up merchant. One day he says 'lets just pay what it takes to get the players we want' then he says 'we've over paid for the players we want'.

Surely you understand Dave that we can't sign world class players yet because we don't have that standing in the current game?

And Net spend is a total fruitless arguement now due to the enormous amounts of money about!

He clearly expects Neymar and co, some are a bit like that, clueless.

If you can't get excited about Everton signing the captain of Ajax and one of the brightest goalkeeping prospects in Europe, then you are going to set yourself up for general disappointment.

Im realistic in the sense I know we are a third of the way through this window, it's dynamic and if Rom leaves I've said we need two prolific scorers and an attacking midfielder who can hit double figures.

The tone of the forum has been euphoric, but all we have done so far is sold Stones and possibly Rom and Barkley and spent little on top in the windows should it happen.. If the former happens we are just making holes to fill holes. I'm just being realistic and not purposely pessimistic.

We have been told about top four ambitions and an expectation has been set, yet we sold Stones and could sell Lukaku and Barkley to teams directly in competition with us for those places. What does that tell us about our ambitition.

I'm not dismissing any player we have recruited, what I am saying is our recruitment so far has been done of the back of lost gaurenteed quality, we have recruited very young players offensively with nothing more then high hopes with no expierence or pedigree in this league. It's a massive risk.

I haven't seen the massive spending power of the back of anything else but sales so far with s hit on top, thus far we have completed to nuts and bolts signing in Pickford and Keane and two very risky signings in Sandro and Kalssen when they all eventually do sign.

Big question marks on those recruitment/selling decisions and the spending power of the club which has just been mainly through sales thus far.

As the crow flies, the squad is weaker if we loose Rom, but I'm prepared to wait until the end of the window. My point is the general narrative of euphoria is misled presently, there is a lot of cause for concern if Rom leaves in my opinion.
Window only opened today...

Does net spend not show the willingness to invest money in the playing squad? Is that not the question of the topic. Have we changed? So in years gone buy we did little on the market. 2 big signings in lukaku and fellaini. Im not sure we sold anyone bug to funds those. So if we do sell lukaku and barkley ( which is a sure thing and i will wat humble pie if we dont) we will more than likely recup the money spent on incomings. We have ambitions of being top 4. The top 4 team do sell but invest probally 3 times that amount in incoming players. Investing in players. Not breaking even. Im going ti look at the situation in september. Lukaku and barkley will be big big losses. Some might disagree but i alswys would have lived thses 2 players here with qualuty around them. They have some rif raff around them for last couple if seasons. They are wanted by the clubs above us. That should tell us something.Yes we have brought in 2 players if decent quality which is great. We need around 7/8 more. Otherwise we stay in 7th at best. And the same next year and the year after.Thats not an improvement. If we bring in 100 mill. We need to look to spend 200 mill. Not for the sake of spending it but we would need to fill lukakus boots with a big money signing. A 40 /50 million front man. We dont have the pedigree to attract them football wise so money talks in this world. We are doing ok this window. Alot of work to do.

You've raised some fair points but your whole argument is based on Lukaku going and then assuming that this will then end all transfer proceedings for the rest of the summer. Lukaku hasn't and possibly won't go if no one offers what we want, and no one knows who else we plan to bring in.

I agree completely that we need to make sure we have an adequate source of goals if he does leave but I am sure Koeman is well aware of that and won't think that Sandro will be the sole replacement for Lukaku's 25 goals per season.

Also, for me, as much as Lukaku going would be a loss in terms of quality, if we can get 2 10-12 goals a season attacking players in to replace him and then sign about 6 or 7 in other positions, i'd argue we'd be far better off as a team/squad than what we had last season. Klaasen may end up being one of those 10-12 goal a season attacking players too.

We'll be less capable if we dont get a seriously good front man in to replace the void left Lukaku and his goals.

It's all well and good having a strengthened squad in terms of numbers of first team players, but you need a cutting edge and a consistent one at that. Some would have you believe we'll easy get past Lukaku's departure. They're living in a dream world. And we wont get better than him in because if they were that good they'd be at a CL playing club.
If Rom is that good, why isn't he playing
at a CL playing club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back